Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layne, I read you competition prep article and though it was awesome! I plan on using it for my first show. I am a broke college student or I would try and get you for my prep. I had a question though about using the dextrose during the workout. Would it be ok to have waxy maize or should I stick to the dextrose? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattyb View Post
      Layne, I read you competition prep article and though it was awesome! I plan on using it for my first show. I am a broke college student or I would try and get you for my prep. I had a question though about using the dextrose during the workout. Would it be ok to have waxy maize or should I stick to the dextrose? Thanks
      can you post a link to this article? i can't find it using 'search'... thanks!
      day and night

Comment

• Hey Layne,
        Just wanted to pop in and say I'm looking forward to reading your MD column - congratulations! Also, love the DVD - definitely way beyond the typical 'training' DVD. Are you still doing the occlusion training with extensions?

Comment

• Hi Layne,

I understand you advocate HIIT for cardio during contest prep on off days.
          On training days would some medium-high intensity interval training for 25-30 min PWO on the treadmill be ok as opposed to boring LI ? It would be a combination of fast walking and running? Also what kind of caloric expenditure per session should I be aiming to achieve. Thanks for you help.

Comment

• Originally posted by pete997 View Post
            can you post a link to this article? i can't find it using 'search'... thanks!
            I'll save layne the time since he must see the same questions over and over,

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by ironblood View Post
              Layne,

I apologize in advance for this newbie question...I'm a collegiate athelete (softball) and wanted your input on something...

When I do high intensity cardio (sprints) after my weight training would my body fall into a catabolic state if I did my cardio directly after lifting without consuming any type of post-workout shake (I'm not trying to drop weight so I get plenty of overall calories during the day)? And what about jogging or elliptical (heartrate constant around 150)? My cardio usually lasts about 30 minutes.

Thanks!
              probably not, how long does the total workout last?
              BioLayne LLC
              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by tiny tim View Post
                33, currently taking in about 4,000 cals a day, 300 grams of protein.
                Just trying to figure out if I take in protein every four to five hours how I am going to get the recommended 1.5 g. per lb of bodyweight. If I take protein out of my 9am and 3pm meals I will be down to 200 or so grams a day.
                i think 250 per day is plenty for you. spread that over 5 meals and you're good to go
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

• Originally posted by johngorman View Post
                  layne, when you take your BCAA's between meals with say, 20 carbs, what form of carbs do you like to use to get that small insulin spike? or do you just stick with complex carbs?
                  either will work, I honestly use something like a small bag of baked lays because I prefer to eat my carbs, not drink them
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Originally posted by pmaks88 View Post
                    Layne...Im a week into my diet i was curious if you think its okay to use skim milk all the way through my diet? When should i cut it out? Also same with egg yolks, the guys at my gym told me to cut them both out now. Im like 20 weeks out.
                    sure as long as you account for it in your pro/carb/fat intake. it's fine. probably can cut it out a few days before the show to make sure you aren't holding water if you are lactose sensitive
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by zzmacman View Post
                      Layne if you wouldn't mind, I would like your input or thoughts on my physique. I just started competing. Here are some contest pics from my first show and a few current offseason pics. I am 5'8 and 180 in contest pics and 206 in offseason pics. By the way, your vids are awesome. When I am at the gym and feeling crappy or I just wanna take a set easy, I stop and think about some of your vids and then I add weight to what I was gonna do. Thanks, you're an inspiration.
                      you've got a lot of muscle on your frame. I think your biggest weakness is your waist is a bit wider, so I'd focus on adding as much width to your back/shoulders and thighs as you can to make your waist look smaller, but you look great man
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattyb View Post
                        Layne, I read you competition prep article and though it was awesome! I plan on using it for my first show. I am a broke college student or I would try and get you for my prep. I had a question though about using the dextrose during the workout. Would it be ok to have waxy maize or should I stick to the dextrose? Thanks
                        either is fine
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by F.M. View Post
                          Hey Layne,
                          Just wanted to pop in and say I'm looking forward to reading your MD column - congratulations! Also, love the DVD - definitely way beyond the typical 'training' DVD. Are you still doing the occlusion training with extensions?
                          thanks for buying it... I appreciate it. Yup I still do the occlusion training
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnyT84 View Post
                            Hi Layne,

I understand you advocate HIIT for cardio during contest prep on off days.
                            On training days would some medium-high intensity interval training for 25-30 min PWO on the treadmill be ok as opposed to boring LI ? It would be a combination of fast walking and running? Also what kind of caloric expenditure per session should I be aiming to achieve. Thanks for you help.
                            by definition if you are doing medium intensity... it is not high intensity, so I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                              probably not, how long does the total workout last?
                              An hour max. And my weight training is more of a powerlifting workout than bodybuilding. Thanks Layne!

Comment

• Originally posted by ironblood View Post
                                An hour max. And my weight training is more of a powerlifting workout than bodybuilding. Thanks Layne!
                                should be fine
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X