Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Layne,

Im a 19 yo beginner to the sport who is 140lbs, and of a somewhat questionable bf%, esp in the stomach region. Besides that stomach fat Im pretty scrawny. I know I should bulk for a while before cutting since if I cut now I would be at a wierd ass weight. What weight should I bulk up to and then cut down to?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LAYNE

you're not even human.. tear a pec and come back not even a year later and break a deadlift record of 630+ raw.. double over grip at that..

my goal is 600 by 06/15/2009. (of course will post vid attempt)

once you go 585 + on there, it seems like every 5 lb plate is an extra 100 on the lift, i've done 585 a couple times (1 rep maxes), but never have even pulled 595 once, that 10 lbs is a ton.

Comment

• Originally posted by PistolPete View Post
        Hey Layne,

Unfortunately, I injured my shoulder playing basketball Sunday. I play on an intermural team for my fraternity. So now, I won't be able to lift for around 2 weeks. If I wanted to, I could probably lift in a week, and make my injury chronic. But I'm trying to be smart about it, and think about my future as a bodybuilder.

Anyway, onto my question. Do you think it would be a good idea to take these two weeks of non lifting as a cut cycle? Keep my protein high, cut my carbs in half, and lower my fat a bit as well. I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation. I've been bulking for 5 months straight, and managed to put on about 12 pounds, but I feel like I should trim some of the fat i gained.
        no, I would not do that. I would eat right around maintenance then do the cut after you start lifting again
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Dkalban View Post
          Hey Layne,

Im a 19 yo beginner to the sport who is 140lbs, and of a somewhat questionable bf%, esp in the stomach region. Besides that stomach fat Im pretty scrawny. I know I should bulk for a while before cutting since if I cut now I would be at a wierd ass weight. What weight should I bulk up to and then cut down to?
          i'd really need to see a picture of you. What I worry about with you is that you want to do both, so likely when you start bulking, you'll stop in 3 weeks and decide you want to cut, then you'll cut for a week and decide you want to be huge so you'll bulk and then you'll get caught up in a BAD cycle where you don't go either way. Whatever you pick, you need to commit for a certain period of time (at least 4-8 weeks)
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• I got pics on the first page of my journal.

Ive read about the bulking/cutting thing, so I know some things about it. Im kinda on a perma bulk for now cause I was like 90something in February and Im roughly 140something right now.
            I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Ok sounds like a plan thanks Layne!

Comment

• One more question...

While I'm bulking I have to increase my protein to about 1.5 grams per pound of LBM. Do you think I can lower my protein to about 1 gram for maintenance? Thanks again! This will save me some time and money!!

Comment

• So, now that Layne has an Column in MD, i say we move this to the MD staff and pros forum! (it is higher up after all =P)

Comment

• no need, hopefully my thread keeps more people in this section
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Hey Layne it's #71 from TU again. I have a question for you.
                      "Do you or have you ever experience any negativity from other bodybuilder pro or otherwise because you are a natural?"

and

"Being a natural pro, do you find that some people question your honesty when you tell them that you don't take anything as far as steroids or GH?"

Comment

• my 20 week diet

Hey Layne hope all is going well. Anyways I have a few questions for you. I just started my 20 week prep. I started on mon feb 2nd at 208 its saturday and im down to 205. I just want you to look at my numbers (macros) i guess and tell me what you think. My BMR is 3400 so i started my diet at 3000 calories and i plan on using the mirror, scale, and bodyfat checks every 3-4 weeks to check progress. I plan on cutting 200-300 calories every 3-4 weeks if all goes well. I plan on ending my cut at around 1500-1800 calories. Here are the numbers: protien 290, carbs 300, and fats 45. Heres what i am eating:

7am: 8 egg whites, 20 grams whey 3/4 cup oatmeal beta alanine, krealkalyn

10am: 2 rice cakes 4 tablespoons pb.

noon: 6 ounces chicken breast 1 1/2 cups brown rice 1 cup veggies

3pm: same as noon

4pm: preworkout shake 20 grams whey

6pm post workout shake 60 grams dextrose, beta alanine, krealkalyn 50 grams whey.

7pm 6 ounces chicken breast or fish 1 1/2 cups brown rice, 1 cup veggies

10pm 1 cup lowfat cottage cheese

Oh yeah I have been doing 30 minutes low intensity cardio after weights on days that I lift except for leg days. I lift 4 days on 1 day off. I may incorporate some HIIT on days that I lift in the morning, which is once or twice a week. thanks Layne.

Comment

• Originally posted by AjMoore View Post
                          Hey Layne it's #71 from TU again. I have a question for you.
                          "Do you or have you ever experience any negativity from other bodybuilder pro or otherwise because you are a natural?"

and

"Being a natural pro, do you find that some people question your honesty when you tell them that you don't take anything as far as steroids or GH?"
                          oh yea, plenty of people give me shit because of it. They say "oh do you think you are better than us? You look like a swimmer. You aren't a real bodybuilder"

blah blah blah

to be honest, I don't pay any attention to that nonsense from negative people.

fuck em
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by zzmacman View Post
                            Hey Layne hope all is going well. Anyways I have a few questions for you. I just started my 20 week prep. I started on mon feb 2nd at 208 its saturday and im down to 205. I just want you to look at my numbers (macros) i guess and tell me what you think. My BMR is 3400 so i started my diet at 3000 calories and i plan on using the mirror, scale, and bodyfat checks every 3-4 weeks to check progress. I plan on cutting 200-300 calories every 3-4 weeks if all goes well. I plan on ending my cut at around 1500-1800 calories. Here are the numbers: protien 290, carbs 300, and fats 45. Heres what i am eating:

7am: 8 egg whites, 20 grams whey 3/4 cup oatmeal beta alanine, krealkalyn

10am: 2 rice cakes 4 tablespoons pb.

noon: 6 ounces chicken breast 1 1/2 cups brown rice 1 cup veggies

3pm: same as noon

4pm: preworkout shake 20 grams whey

6pm post workout shake 60 grams dextrose, beta alanine, krealkalyn 50 grams whey.

7pm 6 ounces chicken breast or fish 1 1/2 cups brown rice, 1 cup veggies

10pm 1 cup lowfat cottage cheese

Oh yeah I have been doing 30 minutes low intensity cardio after weights on days that I lift except for leg days. I lift 4 days on 1 day off. I may incorporate some HIIT on days that I lift in the morning, which is once or twice a week. thanks Layne.
                            please break that down to pro/carb/fat for me
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• protien fat carbs breakdown

290 protien, 300 carbs, 45 fat

calories from:
                              protien: 1160

carbs: 1200

fat: 405

Comment

• i'm eating 6 meals per day, 240 carbs / 90 fat per day (I split protein up evenly per meal)

On non training days (I just do low intensity cardio) is it optimal to eat 80 carbs per meal for the 1st 3 meals or should I split them up over the first 5 meals and have the 6th meal protein + fat?

Also - do I need a refeed/carb up at those carb levels? I'm trying to pack on lean body mass btw

Comment

Working...
                                X