Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    Jeff,
    to be honest I think you are pretty solid on your macros. If anything you could reduce protein/fat a bit; if you get stuck with fat loss perhaps take fat down to 20% of your daily kcals.

-Layne

Thanks man, look forward to hopefully meeting you at arnold and loading up on some hopefully discoutned substance WPI!

-Jeff
    DC advocate

CSCS
    B.S. in Exercise Science

Comment

will look forward to meeting you!
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

Thanks John,
        I'll be at the scivation booth so make sure you say hi if you are by that way but i'm definately making a point to stop by the MD booth.

-Layne
        Very cool It will be great to meet you!!

Comment

Layne: I noticed on a recent thread you mentioned that you do a mixture of HIIT and lower intensity cardio. With all that HIIT has going for it, why do you keep the lower intensity stuff in there as well?

Comment

well simply because it's very taxing to do HIIT on a leg day or after a leg day
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

Thanks for the answer man. Yeah, I hear that.

Comment

Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
                Thanks man, look forward to hopefully meeting you at arnold and loading up on some hopefully discoutned substance WPI!

-Jeff
                Just tell him you want handfuls of the samples. And go back about 5 or 6 times.

But you need a lot of them cause they only come in half serving size.

But man that watermelon taste sweet.
                CANCER SUCKS!

Comment

Alright, here's one for you Layne.

Do you know what the relationship is between strength training and muscle size versus power training and muscle size; ie is one better than the other for lean body mass gains? Is there any research in this area? If not then what are your thoughts?

Comment

To clarify what I mean in the above post:
                    Strength training - slow cadence, high weight
                    Power training - explosive movements with an emphasis on speed, still with heavy weight but probably a little less than in strength training.

Comment

this is a good question and I don't have an answer off the top of my head. I am welcome to opinions while I do some research
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

Excellent, I managed to stump the guru temporarily!

After I posted this thread here, I asked the same question at a forum on the Mind and muscle site and here is an interesting answer I received from a Mod called Kimbo:

Well, keep in mind that lifting for strength doesn't necessarily imply a slow cadence. You can use a slow cadence, but you're usually better off using a controlled negative (not necessarily slow) and then pushing the weight up as fast as possible (compensatory acceleration). The weight may not move quickly during the concentric portion, but the intent to move it as fast as possible should still be there.

Training for strength tends to produce more sarcomere (contractile tissue) hypertrophy. Explosive training produces a great deal of tension, and tension is good for hypertrophy, but the amount of time that tension is produced is typically very short.

Generally speaking, strength training would be better for lean mass gains than power training would be. However, power training would still be useful - training in this manner will teach your body to "turn on" more motor units in a shorter amount of time, which can improve strength, which can result in more weight lifted and (ultimately) more hypertrophy.

Comment

a good answer, I'll elaborate on my thoughts on his post later
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

Originally posted by west View Post
                            To clarify what I mean in the above post:
                            Strength training - slow cadence, high weight
                            Power training - explosive movements with an emphasis on speed, still with heavy weight but probably a little less than in strength training.
                            This will entirely depend on each muscle and the fiber type, but you wouldn`t even need to go that far.

It sounds that each is similar enough that both will yield about the same results.

I think frequency and consistency in either method is more important.

Why not just use both methods in the same workout session?

Comment

I'm with you on this one Adon

Comment

Originally posted by The True Adonis View Post
                                This will entirely depend on each muscle and the fiber type, but you wouldn`t even need to go that far.

It sounds that each is similar enough that both will yield about the same results.

I think frequency and consistency in either method is more important.

Why not just use both methods in the same workout session?
                                i agree with this, in the end it is probably hair splitting to debate between the two, as stated, it's always good to use a variety
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X