Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flynn44 View Post
    Language Language! I think quite a few of us have heard the "swimmer" dig. Remember at the show where I won the Masters Pro-Card, when I walked off stage and another competitor looked at me and said, "so how many laps did you swim". I think you said (loud enough for him to hear), maybe he should have swam laps .
    haha, that guy was a punk. he was also clinically obese at a bodybuilding show. probably should have showed up in better shape
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• my main man!

Layne - it's been a LONG time since I've posted - I've been just finishing up my undergrad and making my way to the MBA after my last 3 semesters... you know how it is!!!

Right now, I'm just training for strength, DC style to utilize my time and I'm loving it.

I was eating 6 meals a day, every 3 hours, 5 meals with about 80-85 carbs, protein about 45, fats about 13... last meal no carbs (can't sleep with carbs before bed)

ANYWAYS - I took your advice on your MD show about that eating every 4 hours, with BCAA's and carbs in between. So I now I'm doing the same thing as above with 1 less meal with carbs (due to the time), a little less fat (8g per meal) and for my carbs with BCAA's I'm eating a large orange.

I don't know if fruit is an acceptable carb source, let me know! BUT I wanted to tell you, I HAVE been getting leaner where I need to be (stomach) and I am getting STRONGER. I feel fuller and bigger, yet, leaning out some of the fat I've put on during this off season. I feel full all the time, not hungy unless I push over the 2 hours between BCAA's.

So, I guess I wanted to say that I think your research proved something, it works, and I also wanted to know if fruit was ok for those carbs between meals.

Anyways, keep at it layne, you're my number one inspiration as well as many of us here at Drexel in Philly!

Comment

• Anyways, keep at it layne, you're my number one inspiration as well as many of us here at Drexel in Philly!
        As A fellow Drexel Bodybuilder I concur!!

Comment

• Originally posted by PhillyXJ View Post
          and for my carbs with BCAA's I'm eating a large orange.
          i've been curious about this as well! fantastic question!
          The greatest unhappiness lies in trading what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by PhillyXJ View Post
            Layne - it's been a LONG time since I've posted - I've been just finishing up my undergrad and making my way to the MBA after my last 3 semesters... you know how it is!!!

Right now, I'm just training for strength, DC style to utilize my time and I'm loving it.

I was eating 6 meals a day, every 3 hours, 5 meals with about 80-85 carbs, protein about 45, fats about 13... last meal no carbs (can't sleep with carbs before bed)

ANYWAYS - I took your advice on your MD show about that eating every 4 hours, with BCAA's and carbs in between. So I now I'm doing the same thing as above with 1 less meal with carbs (due to the time), a little less fat (8g per meal) and for my carbs with BCAA's I'm eating a large orange.

I don't know if fruit is an acceptable carb source, let me know! BUT I wanted to tell you, I HAVE been getting leaner where I need to be (stomach) and I am getting STRONGER. I feel fuller and bigger, yet, leaning out some of the fat I've put on during this off season. I feel full all the time, not hungy unless I push over the 2 hours between BCAA's.

So, I guess I wanted to say that I think your research proved something, it works, and I also wanted to know if fruit was ok for those carbs between meals.

Anyways, keep at it layne, you're my number one inspiration as well as many of us here at Drexel in Philly!
            Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Fruit is probably boarderline. I thihnk it's probably fine to be honest. Basically even though it is stored as liver glycogen it's not going to promote a lot of fat gain like some people think unless you are eating so much of it that it suprasses the capacity of the liver to store the glycogen. I think 3-4 servings of it per day is fine. Now the issue is you do want some insulin release and fructose doesn't really get you that... HOWEVER most fruits are not 100% fructose... they are usually 50/50, 60/40 or so fructose/glucose so you should get some insulin release from it
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• layne, if you have answered this before i am sorry.

right now i am using a protein that is a isolate/concentrate/calcium casinate blend. i dont seem to be starving an hour after i drink this like i do a straight isolate or concentrate protein. my question is, is this optimal, esp. if meals are every 3-4 hours? it makes sense to me on paper, but i am not a protein expert and dont know if calcium casinate is junk or not.
              TEAM GORMAN

Comment

• it's not junk, personally I think whey is better however as it induces a fast rise & fall in leucine levels which will help prevent the refractory response to constant elevations in amino acids
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

• As someone who was a former NCAA All-American swimmer I can say without question, our practices and outside conditioning are far harder than anything I have witnessed from any other sport...

I hear ppl on these boards talk about "over-training" try swimming 6 hrs a day, six days a week plus lifting and HIIT cardio sessions. After having completed at Olympic Trials, I can say the backs, shoulders, and quads (sometimes triceps) for sprinters are more developed than 80% of the ppl on these boards.

Sorry, that language always bothers me. Know what you are talking about before posting...and yes, girls love swimmers...sorry "big guys" no dice.
                  "If you show up to Fight Club, you're gonna get your ass kicked."

Comment

• Hey Layne - great to see you are doing well - great thread!

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post

Fruit is probably boarderline. I thihnk it's probably fine to be honest. Basically even though it is stored as liver glycogen it's not going to promote a lot of fat gain like some people think unless you are eating so much of it that it suprasses the capacity of the liver to store the glycogen. I think 3-4 servings of it per day is fine. Now the issue is you do want some insulin release and fructose doesn't really get you that... HOWEVER most fruits are not 100% fructose... they are usually 50/50, 60/40 or so fructose/glucose so you should get some insulin release from it
                      Layne, would it be okay to have a little bit of fat with this small carb/bcaa snack between meals?

I'm thinking of a few gs, like if you had some sort of granola bar or something of that nature...it'd be like 20ish carbs and 3g fat or so.
                      The greatest unhappiness lies in trading what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Layne,

what does it mean if I get tired after eating carbs? it usually happens when I eat 60-70g+.. poor sensitivity? Its mainly an issue with my pre workout meal and I've heard some trainers even say dont even eat carbs before training.

Thanks brother

Comment

• Ok got back from the meet. I had a GREAT time. I depleted mildly to make sure I made weight (220). I was 224 at the beginning of the week so I just cut down sodium and my carbs a bit (felt weird doing that LOL) and made it easy at 215. Started out on squats. first set was 455 and that flew up. Next set I did 495 and that went up really fast, so I did 520 on my third set and that flew up as well. So I was really happy with my squat. There was about a 2 hour wait while everyone else bench pressed before we started deadlifting again.

My ultimate goal was to break the APA raw 220 lb class world record deadlift which was 625. I opened up with 585 and that flew up easy. Then did 610. Easy. Then 630 flew up even faster. Since I hit all 3 lifts and a world record I was allowed a fourth attempt to really go for broke. I decided to try to hit a 3x bodyweight deadlift (645 lbs). It was really cool since I was the only person doing a 4th attempt I was the last person lifting at the meet and everyone was watching me and rooting me on. I took a good grip on the bar, leaned back and let it rip. Again, it went up EASY. Everyone there told me I had at least 660-675 in me. But I was really happy with 645 and a new record I actually had the heaviest deadlift in the entire show which was cool as a 220 class raw guy

Not bad for a guy who had his pec re-attached 11 months ago today.
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• damn layne.. nice job man. 3x bodyweight aint no joke!

VIDS?!?!

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                              Ok got back from the meet. I had a GREAT time. I depleted mildly to make sure I made weight (220). I was 224 at the beginning of the week so I just cut down sodium and my carbs a bit (felt weird doing that LOL) and made it easy at 215. Started out on squats. first set was 455 and that flew up. Next set I did 495 and that went up really fast, so I did 520 on my third set and that flew up as well. So I was really happy with my squat. There was about a 2 hour wait while everyone else bench pressed before we started deadlifting again.

My ultimate goal was to break the APA raw 220 lb class world record deadlift which was 625. I opened up with 585 and that flew up easy. Then did 610. Easy. Then 630 flew up even faster. Since I hit all 3 lifts and a world record I was allowed a fourth attempt to really go for broke. I decided to try to hit a 3x bodyweight deadlift (645 lbs). It was really cool since I was the only person doing a 4th attempt I was the last person lifting at the meet and everyone was watching me and rooting me on. I took a good grip on the bar, leaned back and let it rip. Again, it went up EASY. Everyone there told me I had at least 660-675 in me. But I was really happy with 645 and a new record I actually had the heaviest deadlift in the entire show which was cool as a 220 class raw guy

Not bad for a guy who had his pec re-attached 11 months ago today.
                              Wow nice work, i would love to see a video of that for inspiration.

How are you currently going with your training spilt? Are you still focusing on your 2 power days at the beginning of the week followed by 3 days of hypertrophy workouts following this?

I've been following a similar split to this although i have been avoiding training the legs too hard as my current situation dictates i teach spinning classes 4 x per week and then another 10 studio classes ontop of that. My legs are one of my strong points and they do blow up quite quickly. Its a nightmare to put on weight, but on the flip side its never been so easy to stay ripped!
                              Contest Prep, Muscle building- http://www.trainwithsklayne.co.uk

Comment

• ok here's the video!

BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X