Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Layne!
    Glad to see this thread is still kicking! I just read your article in the the MD! Fascinating summary of ur research! I did have a question(s) tho, if I were to go with the protocol of 3-4 meals per day and BCAA+carbs in between meals...
    1) Could I use the same protocol pre/post workout? (I'm doing a serving of Xtend and a handful of granola... the real stuff, not a granola bar)
    2) Am I still consuming 1g/lb. of BW in PRO? So now I'm up to 50-60g/PRO per meal instead of 30-40? Or can I just keep it at 30-40 since I'm spiking the aminos between meals...
    3) I just read Robbie Durand's research headlines on the MD homepage about new research saying that whey was more anabolic than EAA, what are your thoughts?

Anyway, I hope you didn't answer these questions earlier cuz I know your busy! Good luck this year and congrats on that awesome deadlift! (and doing it with type of grip!)
    http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...n?goto=newpost

Comment

• when you get the chance

what do you make of this study?

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/c.../view/1471/51/
      Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
      http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
        hey ben, so sorry you had to drive around so much and we didn't get a chance to hang out. Dinner is on me next time

no worries Layne...we wanted to find a gym regardless and Adam had a GPS that was super easy to get from place to place

Next time we'll have to plan a little better to make sure we get everything in, including my free dinner (jk....you're not paying for my dinner)
        MorphogenNutrition.com
        Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

• Originally posted by Quelly View Post
          whey protein had a greater insulin response which would probably explain the difference. But the results of that study are in direct contrast to results of other studies which show that on a gram per gram basis, EAA is more anabolic than whey. Let me explain.

keep in mind that this dose of weigh protein had twice as much TOTAL amino acids as the EAA dose. That is not very clear in the study. Meaning when you match them on an EAA per EAA dose whey is better; but when you match them on a total amino acid content... the EAA is FAR BETTER. I think that the statement "whey is more anabolic than EAA" needs to be further specified in the context of how the study was actually done. When you consider that on a gram per nitrogen basis, free form EAA is far superior.

For those who still don't get what i'm saying is

15g of whey vs. 15g EAA= EAA better

30g of whey vs. 15g EAA= whey better; likely due to the increased insulin response.

the other thing to realize is the whey has over twice as many calories as the EAA group!
          Last edited by str8flexed; March 12, 2009, 12:45 PM.
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
            For those who still don't get what I'm saying is...
            Explain it to me like I'm a 5th Grader because all I heard was 'Charlie Brown's Mother', for those old enough to get the reference - j/k!

How are things? Reads like you guys had a good time at the AC.

Comment

• so 120 calories is more anabolic than 60 calories....go figure, lol
              MorphogenNutrition.com
              Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

• hey layne i got a couple Q's if u dont mind bro...

1) im 5'11 190, 9% and im dieting for a show im 17 weeks out its been a week since dieting already i lost some bf around the stomach but my arms got smaller and i still feel i have the same amount of fat on them when i pinch it, is that normal? or did i lower my numbers to quick for my diet.

2) last year when i did my show my diet was higer in protein ect.. and i changed it this time but last time i never craved junk food and i was easily able to hold my self for those once a week cheat meals but 3 days in tot he diet this time i really want some junk food lol. Is it true that if u crave something really bad that we're not dialed in correctly? im lucky i have disapline lol

3) last Question is if u think if my numbers are looking right for 17 weeks out

protein-250, carbs-150, fats-25.. my fats come from 1 fish oil and the rest is just from the chicken ect..

thanks for ur help

Comment

• Creatine and fat loss?

Layne do you use it in contest diet ?if yes how long?

Your opinion-comments about this study.

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/conten...ract/93/6/2018

Creatine supplementation influences substrate utilization at rest

Comment

• doc says my creatinine levels are too high

Layne I was wondering about your take on creatinine levels in the blood. I have researched that .6 - 1.2 milligrams per deciliter is considered normal and healthy. A recent blood test showed that my levels of creatinine are 1.35 milligrams per deciliter. My doc is concerned that I may have some issues and wants me to get an ultrasound done on my kidneys. I am not that concerned due to what I have found through my own research. I know that becuase I am a muscular 25 year old man that my levels of creatinine may be higher than the norm, a diet high in meat/protien can raise your levels of creatinine by 10-30%, and supplementing with creatine can raise your levels of creatinine. If you ask me, these are the contributing factors to my elevated levels of creatinine. I don't personally think that I have anything wrong with my kidneys. However, I am not a doctor so I cannot really be sure of this.

I was just wondering what you think and wanted to know your opinion on creatinine levels, and if you think my level of creatinine is a cause for concern. If anyone else is knowledgable on this and wants to share his or her thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
                      Layne did you guys end up finding a gym on Saturday?

we drove to literally 10 gyms in the Columbus area and every single one was closed
                      You guys should have come to Metro Fitness Saturday night. We (Animal) had the gym from 8pm-10pm for our ABC event. We will do it again next year, you guys are welcome to come train.

It was good to see you and Isabelle as always Layne.
                      VP of Marketing for Nutrabio
                      instagram @naturalguy2.0

Comment

• Originally posted by TooBIG View Post
                        Creatine and fat loss?

Layne do you use it in contest diet ?if yes how long?

Your opinion-comments about this study.

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/conten...ract/93/6/2018

Creatine supplementation influences substrate utilization at rest
                        LOL. It would have been the same difference if they'd added a few extra calories on. So what? so you just drop your calories a bit lower; creatine is going to have such an impact on sparing muscle mass and fullness that I'll take the hit on having to go slightly lower on calories.
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by blackdoutt View Post
                          hey layne i got a couple Q's if u dont mind bro...

1) im 5'11 190, 9% and im dieting for a show im 17 weeks out its been a week since dieting already i lost some bf around the stomach but my arms got smaller and i still feel i have the same amount of fat on them when i pinch it, is that normal? or did i lower my numbers to quick for my diet.

2) last year when i did my show my diet was higer in protein ect.. and i changed it this time but last time i never craved junk food and i was easily able to hold my self for those once a week cheat meals but 3 days in tot he diet this time i really want some junk food lol. Is it true that if u crave something really bad that we're not dialed in correctly? im lucky i have disapline lol

3) last Question is if u think if my numbers are looking right for 17 weeks out

protein-250, carbs-150, fats-25.. my fats come from 1 fish oil and the rest is just from the chicken ect..

thanks for ur help
                          1) that's impossible to know for me. I know nothing about you and have no pictures... I'm not psychic

2) the first few days are always difficult because your body is switching from relying on outside sources of glucose to making it's own; by a week you'll be fine

3) I have no idea... I haven't worked with you, don't know your metabolism and know nothing about you... I'm not psychic! Making a mild guess I'd say your fat is too low but that's just a guess, again I'm not sure how you expect me to make determinations without knowing anything about you.
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by zzmacman View Post
                            Layne I was wondering about your take on creatinine levels in the blood. I have researched that .6 - 1.2 milligrams per deciliter is considered normal and healthy. A recent blood test showed that my levels of creatinine are 1.35 milligrams per deciliter. My doc is concerned that I may have some issues and wants me to get an ultrasound done on my kidneys. I am not that concerned due to what I have found through my own research. I know that becuase I am a muscular 25 year old man that my levels of creatinine may be higher than the norm, a diet high in meat/protien can raise your levels of creatinine by 10-30%, and supplementing with creatine can raise your levels of creatinine. If you ask me, these are the contributing factors to my elevated levels of creatinine. I don't personally think that I have anything wrong with my kidneys. However, I am not a doctor so I cannot really be sure of this.

I was just wondering what you think and wanted to know your opinion on creatinine levels, and if you think my level of creatinine is a cause for concern. If anyone else is knowledgable on this and wants to share his or her thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.
                            yea I think you are fine, but go ahead and have the kidney tests done... you don't want to have an underlying problem and do nothing about it because you think it's just do to these factors. But 99.99% you are fine
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by naturalguy View Post
                              You guys should have come to Metro Fitness Saturday night. We (Animal) had the gym from 8pm-10pm for our ABC event. We will do it again next year, you guys are welcome to come train.

It was good to see you and Isabelle as always Layne.
                              haha, I forgot about that and besides I didn't have an animal shirt LOL. I tell you what though, I was damn close to saying fuck it and asking if I could just do my workout in the cage on sunday LOL
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Thanks for the advice Layne. I will go have the ultrasound done on my kidneys.

Comment

Working...
                                X