Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PistolPete View Post
    Hey Layne,

I know this is a pretty general and probably to vague of a question, but what do you think of Mike Mentzer's style of HIT training? Have you ever tried it? I haven't learned a whole lot about it yet, but I'd love to hear your opinion on it as I learn more. Thanks!
    i think it will work for beginners but after about a year of it, it will be damn near impossible to make gains.

It is the most unscientifically founded method out there. To be honest I think it's pretty terrible
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Redemption79 View Post
      Hi Layne, Im currently doing a 16/8 Int. fast and using small amounts of Xtend throughout the fasting period. Some say this is an effective way to prevent catabolism, while others claim leucine causes an insulin response that in turn suppresses glucagon and becomes counter-productive. I found this study:
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19013300
      This seems to not only provide evidence that glucagon response is not suppressed, but in fact stimulated when ingesting leucine.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on this matter, and the potential that leucine has in this kind of diet, as you seem to be the expert on leucine around here.
      Thanks,
      Redemption
      the whole 'don't take leucine it stimulates insulin' is a ridiculous argument and anyone who says that does not have an understanding of metabolism that's worth more than a dirty diaper
      BioLayne LLC
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
        my pre and post workout meals are more carb heavy than the others and lower in fat than the others.

protein i spread out evenly
        thanks layne , i know your a busy guy, apperciate the answer , and im looking foward to your new colume in MD, been reading your stuff since bb.com way back in the day with your bleach blond hair , its amazing how far you've come, just wanna say congarts on all your achievements!

Comment

well on a gram per gram basis, protein powder is actually cheaper than food... unless you are taking some overpriced crap
          Yea I've actually heard that before.........I guess what I was wondering is what negative effects are there from training without drinking a protein shake afterwards.......I only do this when I have to but I wonder sometimes whether i'm causing excess catabolism by doing it.......I know food takes some hours to absorb so its not as fast-acting as powder, so should I just eat as soon after training as possible on occasions like this, or should I postpone the training session til i can get my hands on some protein powder(I.E. The next day)........I've read about some bodybuilders who say they don't use postworkout shakes period, just consuming food postworkout......would this be a possible alternative for a natural at times?

Comment

• i think it will work for beginners but after about a year of it, it will be damn near impossible to make gains.

It is the most unscientifically founded method out there. To be honest I think it's pretty terrible
            Thank you for your honesty, i appreciate that. It's those kind of comments that save people like me countless hours of time and effort. Two more questions. In regards to only being able to use Mentzer's style of training for a year, how was he able to make such gains in a long career? I've read that he kept adjusting his program so he could get stronger in various ways. I don't want to beat a dead horse, so you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

2. What do you think about Dorian yates style of HIT training? I feel like its way more suitable for long term gains. I've been reading a lot of his articles, and watching blood and guts. lol It really has my attention!

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Block View Post
              Yea I've actually heard that before.........I guess what I was wondering is what negative effects are there from training without drinking a protein shake afterwards.......I only do this when I have to but I wonder sometimes whether i'm causing excess catabolism by doing it.......I know food takes some hours to absorb so its not as fast-acting as powder, so should I just eat as soon after training as possible on occasions like this, or should I postpone the training session til i can get my hands on some protein powder(I.E. The next day)........I've read about some bodybuilders who say they don't use postworkout shakes period, just consuming food postworkout......would this be a possible alternative for a natural at times?
              well i think whey is definitely superior but will it kill your progress not to use it? probably not
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by PistolPete View Post
                Thank you for your honesty, i appreciate that. It's those kind of comments that save people like me countless hours of time and effort. Two more questions. In regards to only being able to use Mentzer's style of training for a year, how was he able to make such gains in a long career? I've read that he kept adjusting his program so he could get stronger in various ways. I don't want to beat a dead horse, so you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

2. What do you think about Dorian yates style of HIT training? I feel like its way more suitable for long term gains. I've been reading a lot of his articles, and watching blood and guts. lol It really has my attention!
                I'm not trying to sound like a hater, but both those men used large amounts of exogenous hormones... these change things quite a bit
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

the whole 'don't take leucine it stimulates insulin' is a ridiculous argument and anyone who says that does not have an understanding of metabolism that's worth more than a dirty diaper
                  Thanks for the quick response Layne, that's the kind of conviction I was looking for. Xtend has been a staple of my IF program so far, and I'm getting better results than I ever have.

Comment

• Quick question for you Layne, I was reading your contest prep article and I noticed you said to limit bread to 2 slices per day. What is the reasoning?

Comment

• eh, i wrote that a long time ago, I don't think you nessecarily need to limit it now, but keep it in moderation
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• hey guys, check out my new interview on superhuman radio. We discuss my pec tear, powerlifting, bodybuilding future, my current research, as well as some contest prep stuff.

http://www.superhumanradio.com/rss/2...R_Show_273.mp3
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• On it

Comment

• I'm not trying to sound like a hater, but both those men used large amounts of exogenous hormones... these change things quite a bit
                            very true!! I'll narrow down my statement a little more. Have you ever tried H.I.T training? Do you know any natural bodybuilders that train in the H.I.T style? Do you think a natural bodybuilder could benefit on a long term basis on this type of training? thanks!

Comment

• low volume did absolutely nothing for me. when I had skinny chicken legs that was me training on low volume
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

hey guys, check out my new interview on superhuman radio. We discuss my pec tear, powerlifting, bodybuilding future, my current research, as well as some contest prep stuff.

http://www.superhumanradio.com/rss/2...R_Show_273.mp3
                                so people don't miss it
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X