Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    hey guys, check out my new interview on superhuman radio. We discuss my pec tear, powerlifting, bodybuilding future, my current research, as well as some contest prep stuff.

http://www.superhumanradio.com/rss/2...R_Show_273.mp3
    Nice work Layne, I love it when you do interviews. I've listened to you NBR interviews many times.

Just a quick question for you mate. I have just finished competing over the past two weekends and as usual I am not really able to control my eating. It seems to happen every time.

Just wondering what you recommend to your athletes, when the shows are over?

Oh and also do you train clients out of a gym? or is it more online stuff?

Thanks, Leigh.
    www.leighcarmichael.com

Comment

• By the way I used a lot of you advice and knowledge during my prep. I believe it was my best to date. So thanks for sharing
      www.leighcarmichael.com

Comment

• Originally posted by leigh View Post
        Nice work Layne, I love it when you do interviews. I've listened to you NBR interviews many times.

Just a quick question for you mate. I have just finished competing over the past two weekends and as usual I am not really able to control my eating. It seems to happen every time.

Just wondering what you recommend to your athletes, when the shows are over?

Oh and also do you train clients out of a gym? or is it more online stuff?

Thanks, Leigh.
        that's a tough one Leigh, honestly there's really not much I can say because it's not a physical issue, it's a psychological issue. I know I did the same thing many years ago and I would be stuffing my face even though physically i felt full, so it's not a physical issue. Not sure how I got over it. I think it was basically just telling myself that if I want to be a professional bodybuilder, I need to act like a professional, and nothing about stuffing your face like a pig says 'professional' plus I hate losing my conditioning so fast after a show and wrecking my metabolism.

95% of my consultations are done exclusively online. I don't really do any 'personal training', occasionally I do an in person consultation, but I'm not the kind of guy who's in the gym telling someone to do X exercise for X sets.
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Fury- View Post
          Really enjoyed your appearance on superhuman and definitley gonna buy your vid but now i just keep thinkin about nutrient timing pre/post workout. Speaking of insulin and the proposed importance of protein pre workout i just have some thoughts. And i am sorry if this has come up before but your thread is huge and i am in the middle of two papers so sorry in advance.

First, i have been hearing about a higher threshold for glucose to the fat cell and a lower threshold to the muscle cell. so taking in too many carbs or all your carbs that u want for your workout at one time wouldnt be so great right? So my thought is partitioning say 100 carbs 4x throught out a workout could be beneficial by keeping a solid blood sugar level for muscle feeding?

Second, regarding protein and pre workout would it be best to split some bcaa and glutamine for pre and immediately after or how should this be timed? I kinda get confused because i have heard that it isnt necessarily beneficial to suck back all your supps and protein right after working out because your body is going through some sort of inflammation phase and it isnt the optimal time to get nutrients. So what then? take carbs throughout; some protein before or aminos of some type; and then wait for protein like 1/2 or an hour later (most beneficial being WPI)?

thx in advance gawd don't want to overthink it or not take ne thing cause i dont think its optimum i just like understanding the mechanisms at work.
          i am unsure of your exact protocol with the carbs? are you suggesting sipping 400g of carbs during a workout?

the faster you get something in PWO, the better IMO. but no need for glutamine, it has 0 regulatory roles in anabolism.
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

yup i count everything
            Thanks!

Comment

• lol definitely not 400g i meant 100g divided 4 times throughout w/o so 25g x 4 just so at any one point i wouldnt spike by taking too much and drop during workout, so basically just try to keep a good blood sugar level throught the whole workout and then get some carbs right after.
              and if u say sooner the better well great i always take my protein/carbs at the gym after i change ne ways.

Comment

• Layne, on your slideshow it gives a calculation to figure out how much leucine is needed per meal for your bodyweight (.045g leu/kg BW/meal), but then in your interview you say that 2.5 to 3 grams is enough (you being over 200 lbs and the example used was a 200 lb bodybuilder in the slideshow). Using that calculation at 165 lbs I need about 3.3/meal but that would be putting me at the level of how much you are taking (from the interview) in a meal (45g or so depending on the source used, etc.). Is that correct or should 2.5 to 3 be enough like you stated?

Comment

I think it was basically just telling myself that if I want to be a professional bodybuilder, I need to act like a professional, and nothing about stuffing your face like a pig says 'professional' plus I hate losing my conditioning so fast after a show and wrecking my metabolism.
                  This is what I needed to hear. Thanks mate.
                  www.leighcarmichael.com

Comment

• Sorry to bother you layne, but I had one more quick question. Are whole wheat wraps ok on your precontest diet. I was reading your precontest diet log on bodybuilding.com and saw where you used them. They would fit good into my macros in the morning.

Comment

• Layne, I am often times amazed at the athletes (most often the sprinter bodytype) of whom in my experience seem to have little knowledge of nutritional supplementation and dieting yet they have these incredible physiques, and grow and gain strength on a diet that is not in a caloric surplus. I know of one individual in particular who is a division I sprinter who is about 180 pounds at 6% who regularly consumes maybe 2500 calories a day, does tons of intense cardio, sprinting and high intensity powerlifting, and is able to gain strength continuously without a caloric surplus....Does this kind of individual in particular have a more efficient metabolism? I am always interested as to why there are some individuals who can eat whatever whenever, without large appetites and maybe consume 3 meals of a total of 2000-2500 total calories for the day and still progress in strength and size.....any comments? I guess im just amazed at the metabolisms that some individuals posess...

Comment

• Layne I've been doing Max-OT(high intensity) style cardio for a little while now and it works fantastic as a fat-burner.....each session is 16 minutes long and I've been doing 3 sessions a week......I'm in off-season mode right now, so I'm just trying to keep my bodyfat level down while bulking.....but it seems that this high intensity style of cardio is taking away some size from my legs.....I was wondering if you've seen this happen with any of your clients and if so, what changes did you have them make? Should I do a longer duration(30 minutes) low-intensity session 3 times a week instead of the shorter high-intensity session?

Comment

• what are you doing for your leg workouts? what is your nutrition like?
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Hi guys just a quick bcaa qn, im 17 and natural,
                            currently taking 1 scoop of whey pre and post WO, and im thinking of buying some ON bcaa.
                            I know bcaas spike plasma levels much higher than whey, which is a good thing right? Lol(Read in Layne's Faq)

So is it ok for me to add 5g of bcaas to my whey? Or should i just forget abt whey Pre and post WO and take more bcaas?

Thanks!!!
                            Trying to get shredded. 18years old going on 19. 175cm / 160lbs / 72kg

Comment

what are you doing for your leg workouts? what is your nutrition like?
                              My leg routine changes from week to week, as I train using Power/Rep Range/Shock. So the first week I do 3 sets of squats using a 4-second negative with an explosive concentric, and then 3 sets of leg presses in the same manner for quads. For hams I do 3 sets of leg curls followed by 2 sets of stiff-legged deadlifts. The reps for the entire workout are kept between 4-6 reps. The second week I do two sets of squats(6-8 reps), two sets of leg presses(8-10 reps) and two sets of hack squats(10-12 reps) for quads. Hams are treated to leg curls and stiff-legged deadlifts again, just in different rep ranges than the previous week. The third week I use compound sets, rest pause and drop sets for both quads and hams.

As far as my nutrition goes, I basically eat the same things everyday. Money is pretty tight for me right now, so I just eat the cheapest food possible. I eat around 7 or 8 cartons of eggs/day and 8-10 cups of oatmeal/day. I weigh about 305 pounds at 6'2". I don't know my bodyfat level but I would estimate it to be 15-20% maybe??? I can still see my abdominals even though they're blurry. The supplements I take are only soy protein powder(because I'm allergic to everything else), creatine, and glutamine. I also take a multivitamin. I hope this information helps.

Comment

• And Layne when I say 7 or 8 cartons of eggs, I mean just the whites. Thanks man.

Comment

Working...
                                X