Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im a non-bodybuilding athlete and feel i need carbs, I weight train and do Jiu-jitsu both at high intensity my questions are.

1. is 80grams of fat a day to much for someone with a LBM of 155 who also consumes 200 grams of carbs a day?-im trying to lean out

2.Could i drop some fat and protein and up my carbs and still lean out?

3.If i weight train a couple hours after meal 1 should i still go low carbs to burn more fat?

Comment

• Well said Layne...

Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
      Well just because you don't know much about pro natural bodybuilding doesn't mean it's not the 'big leagues' as it is for natural bodybuilders. As to whether I could cut it or not with the top competitors if I took steroids... that is pure speculation and there is no way to know... so why bother speculating about it? why did I decide? Well I never really had to decide as to be honest I've never seriously considered using. to be honest it's just not for me. It's expensive, illegal, and when abused can be dangerous and like any drug it can be addicitive; not physically but certainly psycologically as I have seen this first hand. To me bodybuilding is a hobby, I love it and it's a big part of my life; but it's not my entire life. My goal was to be able to compete against the best in the world... now I can compete against the best natural bodybuilders in the world. What's wrong with that? I have absolutely NO ill will at those who choose to take steroids. None whatsoever. That is a personal choice, it is just not my choice. I have quite a few friends that use steroids; we get along fine. It's not 'the juicehead' vs. 'the snotty natural guy' like I said, bodybuilding is part of my life; not my entire life... why would I let it get in the way of having friendships with good people?

As far as people rolling in big time supplement contracts... six figure? lol. There might be a very very very small handful rolling in six figures. I know that most guys; even with companies say like MRM; a decent size company; are lucky to get maybe 20 grand a year. I'm not going to speculate but my guess is that may not be enough to cover their bill for the year for food, drugs, travel, etc. You may or may not know this but I am sponsored by scivation and I'm not going to discuss specifics but they take care of me. I've been in several of their ads, am a co-author on their new book, work at all the big trade shows; hell I get all my expenses covered (travel, hotel, food, transportation) to go to vegas and columbus, not too shabby of a deal. I may not be getting 20 grand per year; but I'm also not spending a chunk of that on anabolics. I also have all my travel, entry fees, and supplements covered for any contests I do as well as guest posing.

Again, I hold no ill will towards those who have chosen a different path; that's their choice. I'm not going to judge them for it. Hell I've watched the olympia the last few years as a fan, just as I watch every natural bodybuilding show as a fan. I enjoy going to local shows as much as big shows; I LOVE BODYBUILDING; just because i've chosen to compete in natural bodybuilding over IFBB bodybuilding does NOT mean I am not a fan of both. In the end bodybuilding is a personal endevor and you should be true to yourself and your motives. I have never had any desire to do steroids; I would never START doing them because I was jealous or felt jaded.

-Layne
      I hope that if I ever make your you level I could be as down-to-earth are you are. I still get a little ticked off when I'm accused of AAS even though I know they don't mean any harm.

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
        new PR on squats today; 515 for a triple

[/quote]

That's pretty beastly.

Comment

• Hi Layne,

I was wondering if there is any extra benefit to taking more than 5 grams of free form BCAA's post workout? I'm currently taking 5 grams pre and post workout.

I did hear somewhere (maybe superhuman or iron radio) that 7 grams of leucine is the optimal amount to turn on the 'anabolic switch' post workout. Does that mean 14 grams of BCCA's (2:1:1 ratio) would work better as opposed to the lower dose? Does your or any other research support this?

Great squat btw, very motivational!

Thanks

Martyn
          Contest Prep, Muscle building- http://www.trainwithsklayne.co.uk

Comment

• I like the idea of having a meal in the night, what do you eat for this meal Layne? I have tried this in the past but closer to a show, I also used to take my glutamine late at night..

Comment

• Originally posted by AjMoore View Post
              I hope that if I ever make your you level I could be as down-to-earth are you are. I still get a little ticked off when I'm accused of AAS even though I know they don't mean any harm.
              thanks man; I don't see any reason to be anything but down to earth. I still get tickled pink when someone says they are a fan. It still makes me smile really big on the inside to have someone ask for an autograph even though i've probably done it around a thousand times now; it still feels really awesome.

Probably the coolest thing ever was a kid and his father walked up to me at the arnold and the father says "we drove from Savannah, GA so my son could meet you, he won't stop talking about you." Man that was unbelievable. I'm not supposed to but I gave them both DVDs and signed some pictures for them at no charge. I wanted to make sure the kid walked away saying "that Layne guy is pretty cool."

I always make it a point to talk to people at expos for pretty much as long as they want, sometimes that means I get backed up for 10 people standing behind them but I want to make sure that if people have questions for me or just want to chat about bodybuilding in general; they get their chance. When I was younger I had the chance to meet bodybuilders who were really really cool and talked with me and that really helped me and I know I appreciated it alot. I also remember guys who didn't want to give me the time of day who though their shit didn't stink and that gave me a really bad taste in my mouth. So I always promised myself if I was ever in that kind of position I would make sure that I treated everyone respectfully and that I appreciated the fortunate position I was in.

I am thankful everyday that I have the oppertunity to positively impact people's lives... you really can't ask for much more than that.

(other than a hot latina wife... and I got that part covered )
              BioLayne LLC
              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by mrfitness81 View Post
                Hi Layne,

I was wondering if there is any extra benefit to taking more than 5 grams of free form BCAA's post workout? I'm currently taking 5 grams pre and post workout.

I did hear somewhere (maybe superhuman or iron radio) that 7 grams of leucine is the optimal amount to turn on the 'anabolic switch' post workout. Does that mean 14 grams of BCCA's (2:1:1 ratio) would work better as opposed to the lower dose? Does your or any other research support this?

Great squat btw, very motivational!

Thanks

Martyn
                no, 7g is way over the level that would max synthesis. 4.5g will absolutely max synthesis. likely 2-3g Leu will do it
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

• Originally posted by chris jenkins View Post
                  I like the idea of having a meal in the night, what do you eat for this meal Layne? I have tried this in the past but closer to a show, I also used to take my glutamine late at night..
                  i usually either have a protein bar or a protein shake with some oats in it along with about 5g of BCAA
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Layne,

As a life long natural, what are your feelings on natural test boosters? I have read that some are using the following stack

500mg Trib
                    500mg Maca
                    500mg HGW
                    250 Testofen

I personally have mixed feelings about using OTC test boosters, but would still like to know your opinion.

Comment

• (other than a hot latina wife... and I got that part covered )

no kidding

Comment

• Originally posted by tmontez View Post
                        Layne,

As a life long natural, what are your feelings on natural test boosters? I have read that some are using the following stack

500mg Trib
                        500mg Maca
                        500mg HGW
                        250 Testofen

I personally have mixed feelings about using OTC test boosters, but would still like to know your opinion.
                        i don't really think the are effective to be honest. I tried trib a long time ago; but all the research suggests they are ineffective.

-Layne
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Layne, I have been arguing with some fellas about eating clean vs. eating dirty. One of them claimed that you tell your clients that they can eat pretty much whatever they want as long as they meet their macros. I have a difficult time believing this. Is it really ok for your clients who are prepping for a contest to eat poptarts, lean pockets, cereal, candy bars, pizza, potato chips, or cheap deli meat as long as they are meeting their macros?

Comment

• Originally posted by zzmacman View Post
                            Layne, I have been arguing with some fellas about eating clean vs. eating dirty. One of them claimed that you tell your clients that they can eat pretty much whatever they want as long as they meet their macros. I have a difficult time believing this. Is it really ok for your clients who are prepping for a contest to eat poptarts, lean pockets, cereal, candy bars, pizza, potato chips, or cheap deli meat as long as they are meeting their macros?
                            I want to know too Layne!
                            http://stormone.etsy.com

Comment

• Laynes said it a lot.. in moderation and dont pig out completely and make it fit in macros

Comment

• My question is, does he tell his clients that are prepping for a show to do this?

Comment

Working...
                                X