Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hey Layne,

    You made some great progress on Smolov, very impressive!

    Quick question-- I'm bulking and have trouble eating more than 450g carbs a day because i get too full. I was thinking of adding a during-workout carb drink (like gatorade) just to get some extra carbs in. Is that a good idea and should I add anything else to the during-workout drink (like bcaa)? Thanks Layne.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
      I don't know that much about it but i highly doubt it's overtraining.

      over training is the most overused word in the bodybuilding dictionary. Most people have no idea what truly over training the muscular system entails and how difficult it would be. You would lose the will to go into the gym before you would legitimately overtrain your muscular system to the point that it hampered muscle gains.

      case in point; I just finished a crazy russian squat program that has you squat 4x/week. Now all these geniuses out there by their logic this is crazy overtraining and I should have shrunk up to nothing. Well it put 25 lbs on my squat in 3 weeks and 1/2" on my thighs. So overtraining my ass.

      You're the man Layne. I also don't think you can give a bread and butter formula for "overtrainig"..... I was just curious if the concept applied differently to natties, but after hearing about this crazy week of squatting you just did, my questions have been answered

      Thanks Bro

      Comment


      • Originally posted by TigerStealth View Post
        Hey Layne,

        You made some great progress on Smolov, very impressive!

        Quick question-- I'm bulking and have trouble eating more than 450g carbs a day because i get too full. I was thinking of adding a during-workout carb drink (like gatorade) just to get some extra carbs in. Is that a good idea and should I add anything else to the during-workout drink (like bcaa)? Thanks Layne.
        good idea!
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

        Comment


        • Layne,

          Just finished reading your entire thread, and many of your articles. I have also watched many of your videos. You are one intelligent dude! Just reading this thread I feel like I have been there for the entire duration. Through the start of your video series, your pec tear/ recovery, wedding and your kick ass powerlifting comp. I wish I would have read this a lot sooner (12 weeks sooner to be exact). I attempted a keto diet and like you say, sure it works but it is not optimal.

          I originally was just cutting to get to a low bf % before I start to add on muscle. However I've decided to do my first show July 18th (12 weeks out today) and then take 2 plus years off like you recommend for us young bucks.

          Just wanted to let you know that you have helped me quite a bit and I appreciate all you do for this sport. I'm sure I will have questions for you in the future but my brain is filled with all the info from the 250+ pages that I can't seem to think of any. Which I'm guessing your happy about right now because I know your very busy.

          Next thing on the list is buying your DVD.

          Thanks again,
          Josh

          Comment


          • Josh,
            Yes thank you for reading my thread. What a task! LOL. Best of luck at your show. If you want to buy the dvd from me personally I will send it to you signed Let me know if you are interested in that
            BioLayne LLC
            PhD, Nutritional Sciences
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

            Comment


            • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
              I'm not a genetic freak I've just conditioned my body to be able to tolerate pain
              So that's the trick, I have to condition my body to tolerate pain. I'm not doing quite the routine Layne mentioned but he has me squatting 3X-week and so far, I haven't gone 'clock-tower' on anyone. Talk to me in 3-4 more weeks when this phase is over and I'll let you know how I feel. I will either have cracked a few more PRs or one us will be dead !

              Comment


              • Hey Layne just a question concerning natties so i decided to ask you. I know that every so often people hit plateaus in the workouts and maybe even in there size increases. At that point you should switch up your training regimen to shock the muscles. But hypothetically is it possible to have done so many different switches that you body hits a plateau and you cannot grow any more just refine your body.

                There are pros out there who vary there competition weight by 20 a year(Dennis james for one). But for a natural can you it a plateau and not be able to gain anymore mass but only refine?

                Comment


                • Hey Layne,

                  I met you at the Arnold Classic, I was the guy that was going to get shoulder surgery (labrum tear) soon. Well I had the surgery, it all went well, and now I'm in a sling ( about a month in, 2 more weeks to go!). My shoulder feels pretty good, but I obviously still keep it in the sling and do my physical therapy. I have been going to the gym lately, and I have found that smith squats are easy for me to do. I feel no discomfort in my shoulder, and my friend spots me the entire time because I can only put one arm over the bar as the other arm hangs in my sling.

                  Do you think I could start doing the smolov training you did? I want to take this time in my post op to really focus on my wheels!! Do you have any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                    Josh,
                    Yes thank you for reading my thread. What a task! LOL. Best of luck at your show. If you want to buy the dvd from me personally I will send it to you signed Let me know if you are interested in that
                    Layne,
                    I would definitely be interested in that! How would I go about ordering in that case? Would I just order on your website?

                    As far as your thread being a task to read.. I think the real task was finding a place to stop to get some sleep!

                    Thanks,
                    Josh

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                      I don't know that much about it but i highly doubt it's overtraining.

                      over training is the most overused word in the bodybuilding dictionary. Most people have no idea what truly over training the muscular system entails and how difficult it would be. You would lose the will to go into the gym before you would legitimately overtrain your muscular system to the point that it hampered muscle gains.

                      case in point; I just finished a crazy russian squat program that has you squat 4x/week. Now all these geniuses out there by their logic this is crazy overtraining and I should have shrunk up to nothing. Well it put 25 lbs on my squat in 3 weeks and 1/2" on my thighs. So overtraining my ass.

                      Overtraining a muscle is extremely hard as you said Layne, its always the CNS that causes problems. The true secret to maximum muscle gains is a workout method thats high frequency, high intensity and relatively short in duration.
                      "A LIMIT IS A TEMPORARY LEVEL OF ACCOMPLISHMENT THAT CAN BE SURPASSED"

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by RAMBOris View Post
                        Overtraining a muscle is extremely hard as you said Layne, its always the CNS that causes problems. The true secret to maximum muscle gains is a workout method thats high frequency, high intensity and relatively short in duration.
                        well high intensity (as defined by a % of 1RM) is far more taxing to the CNS than more volume
                        BioLayne LLC
                        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jaeckels View Post
                          Layne,
                          I would definitely be interested in that! How would I go about ordering in that case? Would I just order on your website?

                          As far as your thread being a task to read.. I think the real task was finding a place to stop to get some sleep!

                          Thanks,
                          Josh
                          send me an email at biolayne@yahoo.com
                          BioLayne LLC
                          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                            well high intensity (as defined by a % of 1RM) is far more taxing to the CNS than more volume
                            It takes weeks for you to start feeling the drain on your CNS. When your progress slows or stops all together you should do 1-2 weeks of active recovery to let your CNS recover.
                            "A LIMIT IS A TEMPORARY LEVEL OF ACCOMPLISHMENT THAT CAN BE SURPASSED"

                            Comment


                            • Layne I have to say thank you you have pushed me into a better place
                              especially when it comes to bb\and school one day I hope to be on the level of yourself,the wilson brothers[gabe,jacob]Dr Joe,tommy jeffers
                              as I CONTINUE TO BUST MY ASS NOT A SOUL CAN STOP ME
                              So thank you layne

                              chris

                              now that thats been said Im ready to go KILL some legs!!!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by anti-steroids View Post
                                Layne I have to say thank you you have pushed me into a better place
                                especially when it comes to bb\and school one day I hope to be on the level of yourself,the wilson brothers[gabe,jacob]Dr Joe,tommy jeffers
                                as I CONTINUE TO BUST MY ASS NOT A SOUL CAN STOP ME
                                So thank you layne

                                chris

                                now that thats been said Im ready to go KILL some legs!!!
                                I looked at your pics and have to say you look pretty impressive. Keep up the hard work!
                                "A LIMIT IS A TEMPORARY LEVEL OF ACCOMPLISHMENT THAT CAN BE SURPASSED"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X