Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    not sure how that is un orthodox?

but if by unorthodox you mean I don't buy into the bullshit broscience myths out there then.. yes
    If by unorthodox you mean imagine a naked woman...then yes!

Sporto
    IFPA Natural Professional Bodybuilder
    Core Nutritionals Sales Rep

Comment

• Originally posted by chuckles_345 View Post
      I know I'm not Layne, but I am doing some fatty acid reserach at the moment. I skimmed the 1st article and it seemed pretty biased. What about the fact that PUFA have been shown to have improvements on the blood lipid profile and perhaps insulin sensitivity as well? Or the fact that some researchers have proposed the omega-3 index (the percentage of DHA + EPA incorporated into the membrane of erythrocytes) as a potential indicator or risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes and while it is a new idea and still needs to be tested further, it seems promising thus far. Also, here is an fairly new article from the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry proposing that PUFA can be used along with current therapies to treat cancer.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...3b937174266d3d

Sorry to hyjack Layne's thread, I just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Chuckles
      Hey Chuckles,

Doesn't DHA max out around 1.2g/day on average? Isn't that one of the better indicators we have available to us as to how much/many omega-3's to supplement a diet with?

Sporto

Comment

I know I'm not Layne, but I am doing some fatty acid reserach at the moment. I skimmed the 1st article and it seemed pretty biased. What about the fact that PUFA have been shown to have improvements on the blood lipid profile and perhaps insulin sensitivity as well? Or the fact that some researchers have proposed the omega-3 index (the percentage of DHA + EPA incorporated into the membrane of erythrocytes) as a potential indicator or risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes and while it is a new idea and still needs to be tested further, it seems promising thus far. Also, here is an fairly new article from the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry proposing that PUFA can be used along with current therapies to treat cancer.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...3b937174266d3d

Sorry to hyjack Layne's thread, I just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Chuckles
        well you know more about fatty acid metabolism than I do, so you are more actually more appropriate to answer it
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by NTT91 View Post
          so would you reccomend lower volume?
          depends on the individual
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Sporto View Post
            Hey Chuckles,

Doesn't DHA max out around 1.2g/day on average? Isn't that one of the better indicators we have available to us as to how much/many omega-3's to supplement a diet with?

Sporto
            I'm not sure about that. What exactly do you mean by max out? I've read some on DHA, but most of my research is on walnuts which are high in ALA which is slowly converted to EPA and very slowly to DHA so needless to say I'm an expert on DHA by any means.

Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
            well you know more about fatty acid metabolism than I do, so you are more actually more appropriate to answer it
            I don't know about that. You've been doing nutrition research far longer than I have.

Chuckles

Comment

• Do you feel that tire flips would be something I could do instead of sprints for HIIT cardio?
              http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/sjschumaker/

Comment

I'm not sure about that. What exactly do you mean by max out? I've read some on DHA, but most of my research is on walnuts which are high in ALA which is slowly converted to EPA and very slowly to DHA so needless to say I'm an expert on DHA by any means.
                What I mean is that your DHA levels reach a saturation point where any more than that per day is a waste. Along the same lines of creatine saturation in the muscles - there comes a point of either diminishing returns or saturation when any more is simply excreted out by the body. From what I have read, DHA saturates in the body at about 1.2g/day and that is how you gauge how much fish oil to supplement your diet with...

Was just curious since you were researching in that area...

Sporto

Comment

• For diet I have gone from 112 pounds to 118 (i know...ridiculously underweight, but hey, thats why I am trying to gain now!) eating about 2800 calories a day. I have been getting about 270 grams of protein a day, around 250-270 grams of carbs, and around 75-80 grams of fat. Weight has stalled around 118 (I guess I just have a really fast metabolism lol) so I am bumping up to 3000. I keep protein intake at 2+ grams per pound so I know that it isn't the problem, so where should I add, carbs or fats? Do you think 250 carbs a day is enough with my training and just up the fats? Or up both a little? Thanks a lot! ANd when your are in off season mode and eating lots of food do you tend to lose definition as the day goes by due to all the food/water/carbs. THis happens to me every day but is cleared up the next morning (but then off course the cycle continues lol...was just wondering if it happens to anyone else)

Have you heard of ezekiel breads and cereals? I get most of my carbs from these. They have lots of fiber and complete protein as well. Other carbs are sweet potatoes, fruits like blueberries apples and bananas (usually 2 pieces of fruit a day), waxy maize, and gatorade during workouts

Comment

• Originally posted by Sporto View Post
                    What I mean is that your DHA levels reach a saturation point where any more than that per day is a waste. Along the same lines of creatine saturation in the muscles - there comes a point of either diminishing returns or saturation when any more is simply excreted out by the body. From what I have read, DHA saturates in the body at about 1.2g/day and that is how you gauge how much fish oil to supplement your diet with...

Was just curious since you were researching in that area...

Sporto
                    Sorry I don't have an answer for you. I do research on walnuts which are high in ALA. Since ALA is slowly converted to EPA and even more slowly to DHA, looking for maximums has never been an issue I've looked into.

Chuckles

Comment

• Layne what do you think about this workout program for an ectomorph?

Workout A:

Squats: 4x6
                      Leg Press: 3x8-12
                      Calf raises: 4x10-15

Workout B:

Flat DB Press: 4x6-8
                      Flat DB Fly: 3x8-12
                      Military Press: 3x8-12

Workout C:

Rack Deadlift: 4x5-6
                      T Bar or BB row: 3x8-12
                      BB Shrug: 3x8-12
                      BB curl: 3x8-12
                      Skullcrusher or cgbp: 3x8-12

schedule looks like this

Sat: workout A
                      Sun: workout B
                      mon: off
                      tues: workout C
                      Wed: workout A
                      thurs: off
                      Fri: workout B
                      Sat: workout C
                      Sun: off

etc... always 2 on 1 off 2 on i off with muscles hit twice a week

Comment

• Layne in regards to your article""Investigating Optimal Protein Frequency"".

I remember thinking that our bodies were probably made to eat protein away from carb sources.Ive read when you eat protein and then injest carbs,a few hrs later the insulin will force the much less used tryptophan(now abundant)past the blood brain barrier increasing seratonin production in brain.So I thought that the best way to eat would be to eat protein/carb/protein/carb meals spaced 3 hrs apart for better mental health.

Then I read some studies that said that eating pro w/carbs cause a huge insulin response to occur and in much higher amounts than if the two macros were eaten apart.Less insulin leads to leaner gains or more seen in insulin resistant subjects.So this is another reason to separate pro from carbs.

Now your article goes further and says that you get a more anabolic effect when you desensitize muscles.

So wouldnt carb/protein eaten separately be a much better diet?

Comment

• less insulin = leaner gains is a GROSS oversimplification. i cannot say emphatically enough that it is EXCEEDINGLY more complex than that and making a generalization like that is just downright incorrect
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• hey layne2 Q's

1) i was wondering whether or not it matters whether your food is a whole food meal or if its a shake pre/post work out while on diet?

in other words what do you prefer your meal being pre workout and then post workout while dieting..?

2) im about 4 weeks out and im down to 50 gr carbs.. i was wondering do u prefer taking it all in the first meal or spliting it into two 25 gr and having it with 2 meals?
                            thanks layne

Comment

• my show is tomorro so hopefully you can answer this by then haha

when applying hot stuff, do you apply it on just arms and legs or everywhere? ive heard different things trying to get a straight answer lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Bondons View Post
                                my show is tomorro so hopefully you can answer this by then haha

when applying hot stuff, do you apply it on just arms and legs or everywhere? ive heard different things trying to get a straight answer lol
                                arms/legs/chest/back no abs
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X