Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    arms/legs/chest/back no abs
    thanks for the quick response!

Comment

• Layne,

First off I want to say that you are truly an inspiration to me. Your comment "when I go to the gym my goal is to make sure that if I were to lose, that it wasn't because someone outtrained me" resonates with me. I believe I am genetically below average, so seeing someone with as much success as you have attributing it all to hard work instead of a genetic "gift" is refreshing.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

4 months ago I got to 10-11% BF from around 16-17%. This cut took about 3 months. This was a completely natural cut, no ephedrine, clen, or anything, just hard work. Whenever my weight loss stalled, I dropped carbs or kept adding more cardio. At my peak I was doing LISS 4-5x a week, with 1-3 HIIT and lifting 6 days a week...my diet at the lowest 75 carbs, 215 protein, 30 fat = 1430kcal.. my bw was 150lbs. I am 5' 7.5".

Although I got into great condition, felt great, and was healthier than ever (blood work showed non-fasted blood glucose at 70, and I come from a family with diabetes) I couldn't help but think that I really screwed up my metabolism. Now my body was maintaining at the calorie level mentioned above, along with all that cardio and training. I wasn't sure how long I could maintain that lifestyle.

i've bulked 4 months since, slowing climbing up to the following macros, which is what i'm eating today: ~400carbs, ~250 grams protein, and ~60 grams fat which is around 3000 calories. My bodyweight is now about 160. Unfortunately, even though everything I eat is clean and 95% cooked myself, I have gained quite a bit of bodyfat (I cheat less now on my bulk than I did during my cut for fear of adding bodyfat). Perhaps some of the bloat/weight is water, but there's no way I can tell and that's just wishful thinking I suppose..

what are your suggestions for the re-bulk? How slowly do you add back in your calories, carbs, etc? Do you still suggest the 4-6week bulk with a 2 week mini-cut?

I've made the commitment to do a natural bodybuilding show for the first time, and I plan to be leaner than ever. If it took me 1400 calories and hours of exercise daily to get to my previous best, is it reasonable for me to be thinking of taking my calories to 1200, or upping my exercise beyond 3 hours a day? Like you, I'd do whatever it takes, but something tells me eating so little and exercising so much could be un-safe.

After:

Comment

• Hey layne. I have a question regarding your study showing eating every 4-5 hours to be better then every 2-3. You still advocate eating in between those meals just carbs with bcaa's and leucine correct (And I don't have bcaa's or leucine or a anything so can I should I still eat carbs in between, like fruit or sweet potatoes or bread or anything, and wpuld it be wise to include any types of fat with them like peanut butter or something?) I am about 119 pounds and had to recently bump my calories up to about 2900-3000 a day on weight lifting days to continue to gain (around 0.25-0.5 pounds a week), I have been getting in 270 grams protein, 260 grams carbs, and 90 grams fat. I had been eating every 2-3 hours but am going to try the less frequent approach myself for a few weeks and see how it goes. Also, do you think increasing carbs a bit and decreasing fats would be better or does it not really matter (I train 3 days on one day off). Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Comment

• Layne,
          When dieting, what's the point of doing 30 mins of cardio to burn 300 calories, when you can just eat 300 less calories per day etc.?

Is there any difference really? Whats your opinion on this?

thanks.

Comment

• I just wanted to say thanks to Layne and others that have made a positive contribution to this thread, it's been a good long read

Comment

• Layne, I have a question on xtend. I weigh about 165 pounds. Do you think that it is really necessary/optimal to take the recommended 4 scoops intra workout, or is it okay if I just take 2 scoops? Do they just recommend 4 scoops to make money?

Comment

• eaa's

Layne what do you think about this article on the home page of MD

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/c.../view/1622/51/

about whey protein being more anabolic than essential amino acids?

is this true? Is it better to drink whey protein between meals or amino acids?

Comment

• 20g whey (containing 10g EAA) vs. 10g EAA isn't a fair comparison so it's a flawed article

20g whey will stimulate more insulin release as well as contain more substrate for use in protein synthesis compared to only 10g EAA

20g EAA vs. 20g whey....20g EAA would win due to the insulin factor and also having a higher leucine content
                  MorphogenNutrition.com
                  Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

• layne what do you think about the effects of vitamin A / D?

Comment

• Layne, first off I have loved reading your articles on bodybuilding.com, but I have a question for you. I train mostly at night usually I finish within an hour or so of when I hit the hay. I know this is not optimal, but it is the only time I have to really train. What should I be taking at this time, directly after my workout, and then before I go to bed. Not on any kind of cut--trying to increase size and strength. Thanks for your time, you are an inspiration to us nattie guys.

Comment

• night cardio

Layne while tring to loose bodyfat if i do a cardio session late night 2 hours before going to bed should i drink a whey only shake afterwards or go to bed without anything to burn extra calories while sleeping?

thanks

Comment

• guys will have to give me some time, I just started a new experiment and am CRAZY busy. I promise I will answer all the questions
                          BioLayne LLC
                          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by BobbyB11 View Post
                            Layne, first off I have loved reading your articles on bodybuilding.com, but I have a question for you. I train mostly at night usually I finish within an hour or so of when I hit the hay. I know this is not optimal, but it is the only time I have to really train. What should I be taking at this time, directly after my workout, and then before I go to bed. Not on any kind of cut--trying to increase size and strength. Thanks for your time, you are an inspiration to us nattie guys.
                            Take a normal post workout shake or meal. The time of day, even if it is before you go to bed is irrelevant.

Originally posted by spiderman405 View Post
                            Layne while tring to loose bodyfat if i do a cardio session late night 2 hours before going to bed should i drink a whey only shake afterwards or go to bed without anything to burn extra calories while sleeping?

thanks
                            Get in a meal just like you normally would if you did cardio earlier in the day. There is nothing magical about no cals/carbs before bed that makes you gain/lose fat any different in a 24 hour period given the same macronutrient numbers are hit. Some people (like myself for instance) will purposefully save carbs before bed on a cut because it helps me sleep.

Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
                            20g whey (containing 10g EAA) vs. 10g EAA isn't a fair comparison so it's a flawed article

20g whey will stimulate more insulin release as well as contain more substrate for use in protein synthesis compared to only 10g EAA

20g EAA vs. 20g whey....20g EAA would win due to the insulin factor and also having a higher leucine content
                            It's amazing how many studies are completely flawed when you take the time to look at them in detail and not take the study giver's opinion at face value, huh? The more I read studies, the more I am simply amazed...

Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                            guys will have to give me some time, I just started a new experiment and am CRAZY busy. I promise I will answer all the questions
                            You having fun with your rats, are ya?

Sporto
                            IFPA Natural Professional Bodybuilder
                            Core Nutritionals Sales Rep

Comment

• Originally posted by Sporto View Post
                              Get in a meal just like you normally would if you did cardio earlier in the day. There is nothing magical about no cals/carbs before bed that makes you gain/lose fat any different in a 24 hour period given the same macronutrient numbers are hit. Some people (like myself for instance) will purposefully save carbs before bed on a cut because it helps me sleep.
                              I do the same thing

my 2 biggest carb meals are PWO in the evening and before bed at around 11pm

It's amazing how many studies are completely flawed when you take the time to look at them in detail and not take the study giver's opinion at face value, huh? The more I read studies, the more I am simply amazed...
                              no kidding
                              MorphogenNutrition.com
                              Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

• Originally posted by Sporto View Post
                                Take a normal post workout shake or meal. The time of day, even if it is before you go to bed is irrelevant.

You having fun with your rats, are ya?

Sporto
                                nevermind... my secretary took care of em

I will repay with sexual favors
                                BioLayne LLC
                                PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X