Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would u consider to be fibrous carbs?

Comment

• well obviously things like veggies are super high fiber. But even things like oatmeal, low fat popcorn, beans are all high in fiber content
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• how many lays baked chips do you eat daily?

and the carbs with the bcaa's do they need to have a high gi ?

is fruit ok to combine with the bcaa's ?

Comment

• man you guys really over analyze this. I just gave baked lays as an example. lol. It's not like I got an IV drip of baked lays because they are super anabolic LOL. Fruit is perfectly fine. You are just looking to get like 15-25g of carbs or so

-Layne
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• man you guys really over analyze this. I just gave baked lays as an example. lol. It's not like I got an IV drip of baked lays because they are super anabolic LOL. Fruit is perfectly fine. You are just looking to get like 15-25g of carbs or so

-Layne
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• my last question, does it matter if the carb source has a high or low gi?

and thanx for the previous answer

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                man you guys really over analyze this. I just gave baked lays as an example. lol. It's not like I got an IV drip of baked lays because they are super anabolic LOL. Fruit is perfectly fine. You are just looking to get like 15-25g of carbs or so

-Layne

Layne what about good 'n plentys or junior mints....do those count?

What about gummi bears or swedish fish?

I also really like oatmeal creme pies and oreos....any suggestions?

MorphogenNutrition.com
                Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

it has no effect on protein synthesis or degradation, meaning it is not anabolic or anti-catabolic and the literature on it as an immune booster is tenuous at best
                  I just want to say that glutamine is very important in healing the lining of the intestine's for me. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis last year, and luckily i'm able to control it but I've had several flareups and it's no fun. I've done lot's of medical research on supplements to take to help control the disease and glutamine, fish oil, and flaxseed oil are the best ones. I take glutamine several times a day to help in keeping the lining of the colon healthy and my disease seems under control. As far as supplements to avoid, medical research links nitric oxide to colitis and colon cancer. It mentions how it promotes tumor progression and initiation for someone with precancerous cells and also promotes cellular growth in the ulcers forming in colitis. I don't recommend NO products, once I've read all that stuff I through out all my nitric oxide sample packets, I dont wanna take any chances. But anyways, as far as glutamine is concerned, I believe it is crucial in recovery and promoting immune health, It certainly helps me keep my condition under control, that's for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by natedogg View Post
                    I just want to say that glutamine is very important in healing the lining of the intestine's for me. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis last year, and luckily i'm able to control it but I've had several flareups and it's no fun. I've done lot's of medical research on supplements to take to help control the disease and glutamine, fish oil, and flaxseed oil are the best ones. I take glutamine several times a day to help in keeping the lining of the colon healthy and my disease seems under control. As far as supplements to avoid, medical research links nitric oxide to colitis and colon cancer. It mentions how it promotes tumor progression and initiation for someone with precancerous cells and also promotes cellular growth in the ulcers forming in colitis. I don't recommend NO products, once I've read all that stuff I through out all my nitric oxide sample packets, I dont wanna take any chances. But anyways, as far as glutamine is concerned, I believe it is crucial in recovery and promoting immune health, It certainly helps me keep my condition under control, that's for sure.
                    I agree...it has helped a couple clients of mine that have Crohn's disease, and there is supporting literature for glutamine in that regards.

What Layne is saying has to do with the various other bogus claims that glutamine has an effect on protein synthesis and/or degradation...which is on a completely different end of the spectrum than what you're talking about.

Although paulwnbf didn't specifically state he was asking about glutamine in reference to body composition, it seems intuitive that was what he was incinuating...

Sporto
                    IFPA Natural Professional Bodybuilder
                    Core Nutritionals Sales Rep

Comment

• Originally posted by paraman View Post
                      my last question, does it matter if the carb source has a high or low gi?

and thanx for the previous answer
                      Not unless you have a medical condition or a true endomorph that would cause you to have to pay attention to that kind of detail. Judging from your avatar, unless you are a diabetic, the answer is "no" for you...

Sporto
                      IFPA Natural Professional Bodybuilder
                      Core Nutritionals Sales Rep

Comment

well some people would argue i'm not the person to ask as calves are one of my worst bodyparts, but that said, I started with calves under 12" and now they are about 17" so a solid 5" added to them over the years. What you'll find is most people with GREAT calves, had pretty darn good calves to begin with. I remember I met a guy who had unreal no joke 20" calves. I asked him what he did for them and he said "walk up stairs" I asked how big they were when he started training and he said '19" lol

what worked for me is working them 2-3x/week and just beating the living shit out of them. Drop sets, super sets, negatives, for real high volume just absolutely beating them mercelessly. That's the only thing that ever got them to budge.
                        thanks for the reply, i appreciate it =] i am in the same boat as you i believe. i have been training calves for over two years now and they have gone from 14" to 15". LMAO
                        I liqour so GOOD she don't go around beer

Comment

i'd take it very slow. Add 5-20g of carbs per week depending upon what your weight does. If you add 10g and your weight goes down; try adding 20; if you add 10 and it stays the same add another 10; if your weight goes up then add in none or 5g until it stabilizes.

This takes a lot of patience but works well
                          appreciate it layne. do you generally see people's weights going down after adding 10 grams of carbs? I found this surprising since after the cut I'd assume you would be doing far less cardio and at a plateau of weight loss, so I'm surprised how adding food would continue to make you lighter?

10g is week is definitely slow. Is this number a percentage of the dietary carbs consumed during the cut? Would 10 grams be also what someone of your size would use as the incremental change?

what about fats/protein?

Comment

• Originally posted by natedogg View Post
                            didn't mention it but I have written that before: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne37.htm

for inflammatory bowel disorders yes I believe it is helpful because it is a major fuel for the enterocyte. But there is 0 evidence it aids in muscular recovery
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by pinchharmonic View Post
                              appreciate it layne. do you generally see people's weights going down after adding 10 grams of carbs? I found this surprising since after the cut I'd assume you would be doing far less cardio and at a plateau of weight loss, so I'm surprised how adding food would continue to make you lighter?

10g is week is definitely slow. Is this number a percentage of the dietary carbs consumed during the cut? Would 10 grams be also what someone of your size would use as the incremental change?

what about fats/protein?
                              honestly this is so individual and so complex based on various different variables it's tough for me to put any hard #s on it speaking about it generally
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Sporto View Post
                                Not unless you have a medical condition or a true endomorph that would cause you to have to pay attention to that kind of detail. Judging from your avatar, unless you are a diabetic, the answer is "no" for you...

Sporto
                                thanx for the reply

currently i'm eating rice cakes which have a higher gi rating, but i will see how it go's

Comment

Working...
                                X