Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KMH23 View Post
    layne, do you believe that fats slow the absorption or digestion of aminos or cho?
    yes
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• http://videos.bodybuilding.com/watch...1-contest-prep

the wife
      BioLayne LLC
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Seriously awesome thread Layne!

What do you do for extra unplanned activity? Say for example you've already done your exercise for the day and you get a call to play some soccer, basketball, etc... (or in my case get nagged to play tennis all the time ) would you just not go or would you increase carbs or protein (or fat?) for it?

I notice a lot of times if I've already exercises and get invited to play tennis or ultimate frisbee I shy away from it because I don't want to add onto what I have already done. Also if someone were following a very low carb diet how would your protocol of adding macros/calories (if thats what you would do) change?

Thanks a lot

Comment

• Good stuff on the article about refractoriness but I have a question. If you're eating a solid meal every 4 hours or so, wouldn't your total protein intake for the day be insufficient to meet the usual 1g/lb bodyweight standard? Eating too much protein on each meal at the other hand may not allow you to absorb all of it. Do enlighten me on this one if I missed anything.

Comment

• what gives you the idea you can't absorb 40 or 50g of protein at a meal. that is a complete fallacy
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
              what gives you the idea you can't absorb 40 or 50g of protein at a meal. that is a complete fallacy
              I think a good sized bodybuilder can absorb 100-150g of protein in one meal. 3 of my 6 meals are about 130-150g protein each and I keep growing and getting stronger.
              "A LIMIT IS A TEMPORARY LEVEL OF ACCOMPLISHMENT THAT CAN BE SURPASSED"

Comment

• Originally posted by RAMBOris View Post
                I think a good sized bodybuilder can absorb 100-150g of protein in one meal. 3 of my 6 meals are about 130-150g protein each and I keep growing and getting stronger.
                Damn what are you eating in them? I've never heard of a regular meal having more than maybe 70g or so

Layne, did you see my post above

Comment

• Originally posted by David1991 View Post
                  Damn what are you eating in them? I've never heard of a regular meal having more than maybe 70g or so

Layne, did you see my post above
                  About 1-1.5lbs of meat per meal with about 2 cups of mixed vegetables.

Comment

About 1-1.5lbs of meat per meal with about 2 cups of mixed vegetables.
                    wow, I guess your bulking. I don't want to hijack the thread so I sent you a PM

Comment

• Originally posted by David1991 View Post
                      wow, I guess your bulking. I don't want to hijack the thread so I sent you a PM
                      My goal is to build muscle while staying lean, Im on the keto diet.

Comment

• absorb isn't even the relevent question. you can absorb damn near any amount. It is UTILIZATION that you guys are really talking about

but 150g of protein in a meal is retarded on any level you slice it
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Layne I was doing a keto diet before (1700 calories or so) with a large refeed on saturdays (7-900g of carbs) but am looking to change things as my strength has really stalled (now even going down slightly on some exercises) and I am not losing fat how I want to. It seems very slow for all the work I'm doing.

I am 170lb. with 15% bodyfat...this is what I was thinking of starting tomorrow:

1800 calories, 185g protein, 70g fat, 105g carbs

-of the 105g of carbs about 40 is trace from veggies, nuts, cottage cheese, etc... so I would have 30g pre/post workout on workout days and 30g pre/post HIIT on off days
                          -HIIT 3x a week
                          -4 workouts a week (2 push, 2 pull/legs)
                          -1 hour lower intensity cardio on my 4 workout days.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                            absorb isn't even the relevent question. you can absorb damn near any amount. It is UTILIZATION that you guys are really talking about

but 150g of protein in a meal is retarded on any level you slice it
                            I have seen amazing progress with this, I actually know people who eat one huge 300g protein meal in one sitting and still see results even though I dont suggest that. Didnt Serge Nubret eat 10lbs of meat before bed every night and yet he built a decent physique. If you give your body 150g of protein per meal it will adapt and utilize 150g, if you give it 50g it will adapt and utilze 50g.

Are you saying a guy as big as Coleman should only eat 40-50g of protein in one sitting? Come on lets be honest here the bigger you are the more protein your body can utilize. Especially when your body is constantly recovering from BALLS TO THE WALLS workouts you can utilize more protein then you think.

Comment

I have seen amazing progress with this, I actually know people who eat one huge 300g protein meal in one sitting and still see results even though I dont suggest that. Didnt Serge Nubret eat 10lbs of meat before bed every night and yet he built a decent physique. If you give your body 150g of protein per meal it will adapt and utilize 150g, if you give it 50g it will adapt and utilze 50g.

Are you saying a guy as big as Coleman should only eat 40-50g of protein in one sitting? Come on lets be honest here the bigger you are the more protein your body can utilize. Especially when your body is constantly recovering from BALLS TO THE WALLS workouts you can utilize more protein then you think.
                              you realize Layne is working on his PhD in protein metabolism right? You realize he has published studies and articles that have been peer reviewed and are based on laboratory experiments done at university right? You realize he lives off of giving contest preparation to hundreds of bodybuilders because they get results and trust him and his credentials, and the only reason he has the respect and clout he has in the industry, both as a professional bodybuilder, researcher, contest prep coach and MD columnist is because of his cutting edge knowledge on the subject of protein right? He is pretty much the authority on protein and its relationship to bodybuilding.

coming in here just throwing out random unsupported conjecture isn't gonna end well lol

I'm not trying to be a dick, just saying, maybe you should ask more questions, do more research, and make less comments, that's kind of how the learning process goes...you walk into a class and you LISTEN to the teacher who has spent 20+ years learning a subject, you don't go in there and start spouting off your opinion and see what they say, and then when they disagree, hold onto your beliefs anyway....why come in the class at all?
                              Eric Helms Controlled Labs Athlete NASM CPT & PES
                              http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Comment

Didnt Serge Nubret eat 10lbs of meat before bed every night
                                Erm. That doesn't sound very likely.

Comment

Working...
                                X