Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    sounds like he's been reading some of my stuff
    I was thinking that too actually since I read some of your stuff in 2007 and he's just now bringing up the topic.

If nothing else it's pretty convenient. I love eating a lot but at the same time only having to eat every 4-4.5 hours has me worrying a lot less about going out and having to bring a meal or bringing a meal with me. I haven't been doing the pulsing protocol exactly but have been eating 4 meals a day with just a pre/post workout shake so meals have been about 4 hours apart. It'll make things in college easier too

Considering I'm definitely an endomorph do you feel having the meals spaced out more helps to stay leaner while not hurting muscle gains? I'm cutting now but it's definitely something I plan on leaving in when I bulk. Maybe 4-5 meals with a whey shake in between one of the longer breaks.

Comment

there is no study. It is a point of contention. I would recommend reading my peer review article on the subject

My latest review article just out: Optimal protein intake for athletes - Bodybuilding.com Forums
      Layne,

I know you recommend carbs along with BCAA's between meals in case insulin is involved in initiation of muscle protein synthesis. My question is would you still recommend 20-30g carbs if someone was dieting and didn't have as many carbs to intake?

Comment

• BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• have you always been a deadlifter layne or did you just recently start?
          "Leg Day Is Business"
          Layne Norton

Comment

• Originally posted by gainmusclefast View Post
            have you always been a deadlifter layne or did you just recently start?
            That video was his first time.

Comment

there is no study. It is a point of contention. I would recommend reading my peer review article on the subject

My latest review article just out: Optimal protein intake for athletes - Bodybuilding.com Forums
              Your study is very interesting and its very similar to my diet except I limit my carbs.

What I do is I have 3 big 120-50g protein meals rich in BCAA's I also include alot of healthy fats and fiber (vegetables.) In between those big meals I have 3, 25g protein shakes also loaded with BCAA's and healthy fats. I follow a modified keto diet so I only eat carbs post workout and I have a refeed day every saturday.

Lets say I followed your advice and I ate 3 meals that contain 60-70g of protein along with amino acids between those meals, that would still only be 220g of protein at the most. So your saying that even the biggest bodybuider shouldnt exceed 220g of protein. Do you understand what Im trying to say? How much protein you are able to utilize is based on genetics and how much muscle you carry. Just like alcohol some people can drink 1 glass of beer and get drunk while sombody else can drink 10 bottles and not feel a thing.
              "A LIMIT IS A TEMPORARY LEVEL OF ACCOMPLISHMENT THAT CAN BE SURPASSED"

Comment

I like the music in the backround lol.

Great lift, I dont know many naturals who can move that kind of weight.
                "A LIMIT IS A TEMPORARY LEVEL OF ACCOMPLISHMENT THAT CAN BE SURPASSED"

Comment

• Originally posted by Klaus Urine View Post
                  That video was his first time.
                  i obviously know hes deadlifted before im asking if he used it as a main back building exercise or just started doing em a lot more since he started the powerlifting approach
                  "Leg Day Is Business"
                  Layne Norton

Comment

Just watched the vid, that's a hell of a lift, man. Do you train that hard all the time? I find I feel utterly smashed if I do it for too long. The problem is, I find it difficult to take it easy.

Comment

• Layne is it true that you count calories/protein in Xtend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Klaus Urine View Post
                        Just watched the vid, that's a hell of a lift, man. Do you train that hard all the time? I find I feel utterly smashed if I do it for too long. The problem is, I find it difficult to take it easy.
                        i cycle the intensity with intense loading phase meso/microcycles and then deloading phases to help prevent injury and neural fatigue
                        BioLayne LLC
                        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• layne i know you count bcaa's, but do you also count glutamine, creatine and taurine as protein, beta-alanine?

and would taurine after workout in combination with bcaa's give absorption problems ? (i guess not?)

do you take carbs with your bcaa's bewteen meals when you are cutting?

is beta-alanine safe to use for a long periode of time, because it can deplete taurine levels from the heart?

final question:

i'm a small person, so i'ts hard for me to get 3g leucine in one meal and keep my total protein intake optimal
                          so, should i divide my 5 meals up in 4 ?
                          Last edited by paraman; July 7, 2009, 01:37 PM.

Comment

i cycle the intensity with intense loading phase meso/microcycles and then deloading phases to help prevent injury and neural fatigue
                            During the deloading phase, how light do you go, and how often do you do this phase?

Comment

Very cool man! Thanks for sharing that.
                              All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a doctor before using any medication.

Comment

• layne, after reading all your posts on protein utilization from a per meal standpoint, it lead me to some questions that concern cutting and protein intake. I'll start cutting at 162lbs, at probably 11-13% bodyfat, and in the past I kept protein at about 225 grams.. NOT counting the protein from carb sources, veggies, and the eaa/bcaa/l-leucine I drink during workouts. If I were to count all sources, I think it could easily be 30-40 grams more!

1.) you've mentioned a per meal number for protein, but what do you recommend as the protein amount total when cutting for someone of my size? I'd just divide this over my meals.
                                2.) do you generally count all protein from all sources, or just the meat and supplemental protein sources? All the low GI sources of carbs are very high in protein, like sprouted grains, whole wheat pastas, even oatmeal. At the amounts i'm eating I think the protein content becomes non-trivial as I know protein can easily be stored as fat when in excess.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X