Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Layne,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the principles set forth by Arthur Jones. Basically HIT as he describes it. I just finished reading his Nautilus Bulletins from the 70s and they are quite intriguing to say the least. Basically

three full body workouts per week,
    no more than 4 hrs of training per week total,
    1-2 sets per exercizes, go to absolute failure (where you cant move the musicle at all), one day on - one day off and once a week take two days off
    macros are not as important as amount of food consumed
    protien powders are uneccessary and basically a markeing scheme
    pre-exaust with isolation - followed by heavy compound
    Bulking & Cutting is not neccessary for muscle gain

I am sure you have heard of all of this but more can be explored at:
    http://arthurjonesexercise.com/Bulletin2/Bulletin2.html

You seem to be more of a volume guy and Jones is very blunt about volume training being outright stupid when you can make better gains faster with less work. I realize his research is dated and there are now different forms of HIT out there, but it would be hard to convince me that these werent developed to make $$$ of Jones idea.

I am very curious as to your take on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
      1) it does not cook off; count it

2) no, it is different

Thanks layne. Do you mind letting us know how you calculate your offseason ratios?

Comment

• Layne I workout first thing in the morning. Is it ok for me to have a whole food meal and then workout 30-45 minutes later as long as my stomach can handle it or should just a shake? I know I have to get some carbs in me. I have been handling cheerios in skim milk with a scoop of whey fine. I just didnt know if this would be the most beneficial for me.

Thanks!

Comment

• new interview up

http://naturalbodybuildingradio.com/...al-bodybuilder
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Layne - Whats your Ideal Post Workout Process for Building Muscle? Are you into a Shake with Whey & High GI Carbs or Food?

Does it really matter?

Thanks buddy!

Comment

• Layne, you mentioned when you first started your PHAT program, you felt really overtrained at first. What were some of the sypmptoms you felt? Lately I've been feely really fuzzy headed and out of it. Did you experience this?

Comment

• layne,

i know you take bcaa's post workout, but do you still use whey post workout, or do you have a solid meal without whey ?

Comment

i sincerely doubt it. Supplements aren't going to take NO high enough to get an outcome like that, but I will temper that by saying I haven't read the studies, but I am guessing their are in cell culture or they are using a very high level of NO to get this response. You can get a carcinogenic response from damn near anything if you get it high enough. But again, I have not read the studies

in addition iNOS is the enzyme that synthesizes NO in the colon and this is different than eNOS which synthesizes it in the muscle endothelium so this may make a difference as well
                  I just want to say that back in october 2 days after my dad's contest, he had to go to the hospital cause of pain in his stomach, It turned out that his colon cancer returned after 2 years being removed. The doctor who performed the surgery told us that he never seen a tumor grow that fast in his 35 years of practice. He asked my dad if he was on steroids, and he wasn't, but my did did say that he took nitric oxide supplements, and the doctor said it's possible that that had something to do with the rapid tumor growth. After finding this out, i did some research and found journals on arginine and cancer and there are quite a few studies showing that nitric oxide causes tumor initiation and progression of cellular growth of tumors. It also linked it to ulcerative colitis, which i was diagnosed with the day before my dad was diagnosed with cancer, and i was taking N.O supplements. So just to play it safe, I don't take that crap anymore, and I would not recommend N.O. supps to anyone as it could very well possibly caused my dad's cancer to return as well as my colitis.

Comment

• Layne ,

How do you feel about using plastic products? with all the BPA issues and toxins?

Comment

Was just going to post this. I listened to it last week. Again a great interview.

You've got me excited for your return to the stage, can't wait!!!

Great job with Ava, she looked insane. Perfect physique for my mind, those abs, good lord hahaha.

Keep up the good work
                      www.leighcarmichael.com

Comment

• Layne ,
                        I have three questions if you don't mined?

1. Do you beleve you get bigger when you get stronger in good foram?

2. what do you think is better to gain mass, prograssive by pounds or prograssive by increase the volume? yes I'm geting stronger every week but with low volume training?

3. your opinion about DC training?

Comment

• Layne ,
                          is Estrogenex by Hi-Tech any good??
                          i have no clue on any effective natural product that block estrogen.

Comment

• Originally posted by natedogg View Post
                            I just want to say that back in october 2 days after my dad's contest, he had to go to the hospital cause of pain in his stomach, It turned out that his colon cancer returned after 2 years being removed. The doctor who performed the surgery told us that he never seen a tumor grow that fast in his 35 years of practice. He asked my dad if he was on steroids, and he wasn't, but my did did say that he took nitric oxide supplements, and the doctor said it's possible that that had something to do with the rapid tumor growth. After finding this out, i did some research and found journals on arginine and cancer and there are quite a few studies showing that nitric oxide causes tumor initiation and progression of cellular growth of tumors. It also linked it to ulcerative colitis, which i was diagnosed with the day before my dad was diagnosed with cancer, and i was taking N.O supplements. So just to play it safe, I don't take that crap anymore, and I would not recommend N.O. supps to anyone as it could very well possibly caused my dad's cancer to return as well as my colitis.
                            This is very intruiging... however I am sure it will go unnoticed. These seems to be an unwitten law against attacking supplements in general. I guess they fund the whole industry and no one wants to rock the boat. I think Layne is as straight up as they come in this biz so if someone will give a good answer its him. But I wouldnt blame him for not responding or to my earlier post about Arthur Jones and his views on supplemets and bodybuilding as a business.

But you have certainly got my attention.

Comment

Good interview Layne, informative as ever.

I have a question regarding Alpha Lipoic Acid. I seem to remember reading that you recommended this as a strong antioxidant. I have also just recently read on MD online about heavy metals and how ALA can be useful as a chelating agent to help remove these.

With this in mind would you recommend someone to take ALA as a regular supplement or just every so often to help 'clean the pipes'? What benefits would it offer?

I found this article you wrote on ALA also- http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne25.htm. I know you wrote some articles along time ago and some are now probably not relevant but does this still confer to you current supplement recommendations?

Thanks

Martyn
                              Contest Prep, Muscle building- http://www.trainwithsklayne.co.uk

Comment

• Great interview on naturalbbradio!
                                Bachelor's Degree in Exercise Science (Michigan State University) BodySpace Profile

Comment

Working...
                                X