Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCAA>EAA
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by V Shredder View Post
      Layne, you don't know me but I know you from way back at a couple of other forums and I have always considered your word gospel. I also lurk at other forums where you write so that I can learn as much as I can from your writings, BUT......lol, help me out bro; isn't the fat in muscle milk good fats (MCTs) that help keep you lean? Like fish and oil and flax oil?

Haven't been able to keep up with you in a year or more but it's great seeing you again and I'm exited to be here. I also lost touch with our mutual friend - the metal worker - and his board. I know it's old age and all but I just had a mind fart and forgot his name. So embarrassiing, lol......It's right on the tip of my brain and I'll probably remember once I hit "submit reply" button.
      so the theory on MCTs is that since they are preferentially oxidized they won't be stored as fat... ok that's all fine and good; but the fact that they are being oxidized means your body will just simply store other things preferably. It's still calories
      BioLayne LLC
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• hey layne can you stop by the training section and check out my thread i have a basic rundown of what my days like for food and such. im on a fairly clean diet with the only carbs from the muscle milk and the gatorade(post work out) the only thing is its so hard out here to get healthy food.

Comment

• hey layne when doing cardio is there a way to not burn muscle doing it slower using aminos or at when does it begin or is it not a serous concern sould i do it first thing in the morning or time meals
          -IRON MAN ATHLETICS
          -HARDCORE/PROFROMANCE WEAR
          -COMING EARLY SEPT

Comment

• Originally posted by El_Spiko View Post
            Most EAA supps don't have high amounts of BCAA's in them, and so long as you're intaking enough protein you'll be getting enough EAA's.

Layne, correct me if I'm wrong on either of these
            Aha, ok.

Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
            BCAA>EAA
            That was a short and definite answer

I think I have a followup question:

In studies by Tipton & Wolfe, Using 6g EAA pre-workout stimulates the protein synthesis (after workout) by much more than whey (250% if I remember correctly). This is if using it on an empty stomach since its the fast uptake that probably is responsible for that effect.
            Is it the same with BCAA:s? Can they be taken together with food or will that slow down and diminish the effect?

Comment

• food won't slow down the absorption. In fact there was a study done looking at BCAA alone vs. Whey alone vs. BCAA + Whey and the latter was the best
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by certifiedStrenght View Post
                hey layne when doing cardio is there a way to not burn muscle doing it slower using aminos or at when does it begin or is it not a serous concern sould i do it first thing in the morning or time meals
                cardio is not catabolic, that is mythical nonesense. In fact, we find that in diet studies just walking 1 hour per day dramatically improves muscle retention. Now obviously these people dont' train with weights but still, it's obvious that cardio is NOT catabolic like these cardio phobic trainers would have you believe.

DON'T DO FASTED CARDIO! Please see the cardio section of my article here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

-Layne
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravia View Post
                  hey layne can you stop by the training section and check out my thread i have a basic rundown of what my days like for food and such. im on a fairly clean diet with the only carbs from the muscle milk and the gatorade(post work out) the only thing is its so hard out here to get healthy food.
                  link?

sorry for the slow replies, I'm at an experimental biology conference in DC presenting my research
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                    food won't slow down the absorption. In fact there was a study done looking at BCAA alone vs. Whey alone vs. BCAA + Whey and the latter was the best
                    Thanks. I realized that I could have looked that up that myself
                    I also found some studies proving that. Now I┤just have to find out if I want to try it out. It seems BCAA products are a bit costly but not so much more than a proteinshake in milk for instance. (As a random comparison)

5g BCAA + 50g gainer (13g proteins from whey + 32g carbs) = 5 (from what prices I have seen so far) + 3.50 = 8.50 SEK (swedish crowns) (could use more protein and carbs though)
                    vs
                    30g whey + Żliter milk = 3.50 + 3.50 = 7.00 SEK (swedish crowns)

Comment

• Hey Layne I'm looking forward to trying Dialene 4. I was using a product called Synergest but they quit making it, I was heart broken because I have never had a fatburner - energy supplement work as well as Synergest, even the old effedra products. It was one of those products that if you just looked at the label you wouldn't very impressed but once you tried it you were like, Holy Shit this stuff is great. And you only had to take 2 a day 1 in the morning one in the afternoon.

I think this Dialene 4 might be a good replacement . I was wondering how well it works on the apatite suppression end? I hear great things on the energy it gives you.

Comment

• it was not designed as an appetite suppressant but seems to be somewhat decent at it. Some people get very powerful supression from it others have found little difference... probably a 6 on a scale of 10
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...ead.php?t=5349

sorry layne i dont normally use links forgot about it

Comment

• layne i finish reading the first part of prep article for bb.com and will be setting up my diet for next week to begin. i was wondering tho if you sould remanipulate the diet as you loose weight? and if you count crystal lite, sugar free gum, and supplement calories? and last about cheat meals my cousins say you need them i dont think they are needed? or is that along the refeeding line or is refeeding a "carb day"? and last what is your take on distilled water going intoa competion thanks a real lot bro
                            -IRON MAN ATHLETICS
                            -COMING EARLY SEPT

Comment

• by the way your article is one of the most informative, intresting, detailed and awsome article ive read and will recomend it to anyone i know looking to compete
                              -IRON MAN ATHLETICS
                              -COMING EARLY SEPT

Comment

• Originally posted by certifiedStrenght View Post
                                layne i finish reading the first part of prep article for bb.com and will be setting up my diet for next week to begin. i was wondering tho if you sould remanipulate the diet as you loose weight? and if you count crystal lite, sugar free gum, and supplement calories? and last about cheat meals my cousins say you need them i dont think they are needed? or is that along the refeeding line or is refeeding a "carb day"? and last what is your take on distilled water going intoa competion thanks a real lot bro
                                Yes you will have to manipulate the diet simply because your body will start fighting weight loss as you get leaner so you'll need to lower calories. I do count all calories always. I don't believe in cheat days, but targeted refeeds or higher carb days can satisfy your hunger and give you metabolic advantages.

Distilled water is simply not needed... regular water just doesn't have that much sodium in it anyway
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X