Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • layne how do,

    just wondering how far out do you stop supplements like creatine, glutamine, taurine e.,t.c from the show. ?

    Comment


    • A question for Layne or anyone else:
      I just can't find any dextrose where I live, so is there any other type of simple sugar I can use to replace dextrose and maltodextrin for the post workout shake?
      Is plain table sugar any good?

      And how vital is this shake anyway, because I was thinking of just eating a whole food meal after my workout.
      Thanks in advance.

      Comment


      • you aren't going to miss a whole lot if you just have some whole food as soon as you get done. just have a bannana or something.

        it's also called corn sugar; might be able to find it under that name
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

        Comment


        • you aren't going to miss a whole lot if you just have some whole food as soon as you get done. just have a bannana or something.

          it's also called corn sugar; might be able to find it under that name
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

          Comment


          • Originally posted by GabrielGray View Post
            Hey layne,

            Just wondering if it is necessary to take time off from training every now and then (1 week off every few months?) to let the body recover.

            Thx
            no; i never take a week off; i just have a week or two of deloading

            taking a full week off can actually be counter productive
            BioLayne LLC
            PhD, Nutritional Sciences
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

            Comment


            • Originally posted by PUMPFLEX View Post
              layne how do,

              just wondering how far out do you stop supplements like creatine, glutamine, taurine e.,t.c from the show. ?
              i don't


              but I don't use glutamine at all. no reason to
              BioLayne LLC
              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

              Comment


              • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                i don't


                but I don't use glutamine at all. no reason to
                Hi layne i got a banana load of BCAA's and was wondering what's the best way to take them while cutting.

                At the moment it's pre intra and pwo but can i take them with meals on rest days as well?
                Training Log. I train like a manbearpig. http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...t=#post2381061

                Comment


                • i'd take 3-4g in between meals
                  BioLayne LLC
                  PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

                  Comment


                  • Hey Layne,

                    I was wondering what your thoughts are on 2 points that i read by coach Christian Thibadeau of T-nation regarding PWO carbs. I'm not looking for a coach debate, i just figured you'd have some interesting insight considering your background in biochemistry

                    "1. I actually do not recommend post-workout carbs anymore. Catecholamines released during the training session reduces the response to insulin. So post-workout carbs are not super effective... not moreso than only post-workout protein.

                    2. I now recommend carbs PRE workout. This way you get your insulin spike to start loading up on aminos then you switch to a non-insulin mediated amino acid transport during the workout (muscle contraction is needed for this). This is the best way to get as much aminos as possible into the muscle, and thus to stimulate as much growth as possible"

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                      you aren't going to miss a whole lot if you just have some whole food as soon as you get done. just have a bannana or something.

                      it's also called corn sugar; might be able to find it under that name
                      Thanks a lot for taking time to answer my question, I'll look for corn sugar and see how it goes.

                      Is white bread ok for post workout? I've heard it digests pretty quickly.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Lunarisx718 View Post
                        Hey Layne,

                        I was wondering what your thoughts are on 2 points that i read by coach Christian Thibadeau of T-nation regarding PWO carbs. I'm not looking for a coach debate, i just figured you'd have some interesting insight considering your background in biochemistry

                        "1. I actually do not recommend post-workout carbs anymore. Catecholamines released during the training session reduces the response to insulin. So post-workout carbs are not super effective... not moreso than only post-workout protein.

                        2. I now recommend carbs PRE workout. This way you get your insulin spike to start loading up on aminos then you switch to a non-insulin mediated amino acid transport during the workout (muscle contraction is needed for this). This is the best way to get as much aminos as possible into the muscle, and thus to stimulate as much growth as possible"

                        he is mistaken.

                        catecholamines antagonize insulin insofar as they work to increase glucose release into the bloodstream by increasing glycogen breakdown. But they are not going to inhibit insulin release or effect insulin's actions on muscle protein synthesis or breakdown. We have done post exercise studies (not me, previous people in this lab) and examined protein, protein + carbs, or carbs only; and everytime protein+carbs replenishes glycogen better and has a better anabolic response. I'm afraid he may be confusing the opposing effects of catecholamines & insulin on blood glucose (one will increase; the other decrease blood glucose) and extrapolated that to imply that catecholamines reduce insulin secretion (they don't) or influence insulin's actions on muscle (they don't, insulin sensitivity is INCREASED post workout, not decreased)
                        BioLayne LLC
                        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jprc10 View Post
                          Thanks a lot for taking time to answer my question, I'll look for corn sugar and see how it goes.

                          Is white bread ok for post workout? I've heard it digests pretty quickly.
                          Easy place to find maltodextrin is a places that sell supplies for home brewing. Although sites like True Protein have stuff like that and you don't even have to leave your house to get it.
                          Assistant to the regional manager.
                          Iron8 approved

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                            he is mistaken.

                            catecholamines antagonize insulin insofar as they work to increase glucose release into the bloodstream by increasing glycogen breakdown. But they are not going to inhibit insulin release or effect insulin's actions on muscle protein synthesis or breakdown. We have done post exercise studies (not me, previous people in this lab) and examined protein, protein + carbs, or carbs only; and everytime protein+carbs replenishes glycogen better and has a better anabolic response. I'm afraid he may be confusing the opposing effects of catecholamines & insulin on blood glucose (one will increase; the other decrease blood glucose) and extrapolated that to imply that catecholamines reduce insulin secretion (they don't) or influence insulin's actions on muscle (they don't, insulin sensitivity is INCREASED post workout, not decreased)
                            Fascinating. So that's why nutrition and dietetics is a 4 year long degree lol!
                            Training Log. I train like a manbearpig. http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...t=#post2381061

                            Comment


                            • i'm not doing nutrition & dietetics.

                              I have a 4 year degree BS in Biochemistry and i'm Doing my PhD in Nutritional Science (about 6 years or so)
                              BioLayne LLC
                              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

                              Comment


                              • i'm not doing nutrition & dietetics.

                                I have a 4 year degree BS in Biochemistry and i'm Doing my PhD in Nutritional Science (about 6 years or so)
                                BioLayne LLC
                                PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X