Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David1991 View Post
    Wait so Insulin for those of us not taking any extra amounts isn't anabolic? I've often heard it was one of the most anabolic hormones our bodies produce?
    not by itself in adults. we've run the test several times in our lab.

give large dose of carbs alone. you get no increase in protein synthesis.

give protein alone you get an increase

give protein + carbs you get a bigger increase.

insulin has a synergistic effect with amino acids in adults but it is not anabolic in the physiological range by itself in adults
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
      hit 405 for 16 reps on squats yesterday; was pretty pleased with that. maybe i'll get 20 someday
      Color me impressed Boss!

Comment

• I hope I can get this questions answered here:

For layne or anyone who can answer it

I'm wondering how many of you do HIIT - sprinting just like layne norton advises for fat loss purposes? Its because I recently started doing sprints to lose some fat, but I'm not sure how to do it exactly and have some questions:

How long does the sprint interval has to be? I've read some do 10-20 sec. others do 45-60 sec.

How do you rest or recover between sprints? Is it better to jog, walk or just stand there and wait until recovered?

Do you time your rest-recovery, like 60-90 sec, or is it better if I wait until I can sprint all out again no matter how long I rest? (similar to weight training)

Thanks.

Comment

• I prefer doing HIIT only on off days (as in off from weights) and definately not after leg day lol.

As far as the interval times, do you really know anyone who can sprint full out for 45-60 seconds? I sure as heck don't. You may be able to push yourself hard for 45-60 seconds but it's not going to be an all out sprint unless you're superman.
          What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?

Comment

• Originally posted by shlammed View Post
            I prefer doing HIIT only on off days (as in off from weights) and definately not after leg day lol.

As far as the interval times, do you really know anyone who can sprint full out for 45-60 seconds? I sure as heck don't. You may be able to push yourself hard for 45-60 seconds but it's not going to be an all out sprint unless you're superman.
            True, I don't know anybody who can sprint for 45-60 seconds. Whenever I go all out I can only sprint for 10-20 seconds, so I'll stick with that.

As far as the rest intervals, how do you do them? walking, jogging, or just standing until recovered?
            And do you time them or just wait until recovered for another sprint?

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
              on a side note; hit 405 for 16 reps on squats yesterday; was pretty pleased with that. maybe i'll get 20 someday
              WOW!

Unfortuneately now I wish I didn't come into this thread to read and catch up as I feel like a little weak bitch.

KUDOS LAYNE!
              TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
              www.fitcorps.net

Comment

• Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
                alright Layne here's one for you

free form BCAA

free form EAA

100% hydrolyzed whey peptides

pros and cons of each for pre/during/post-workout nutrition
                Bumping this because I'm interested in what you think as well.

Ben and I have actually talked about this and I know we both have our theories, but your opinion/research/knowledge on the subject would certainly be appreciated.
                TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
                www.fitcorps.net

Comment

• hey layne, what are your thoughts on microwaving food making it toxic? I read this somewhere..im in college and really have no other choice but to cook everything but my meats in the mic..including egg. Do you think steming and stove top cooking are superior methods? Thanks

Comment

• hi, any idea on what im doing wrong on deadlift?

I been deadlifting 220kg for reps. tried to do it today but after my first rep i felt something go in my right hip. now its in alot of pain. is this a common deadlift injury or am i doing something wrong / not warming up properly?
                    just hoping for some advice for the master deadlifter.

Comment

• i have no idea man. you want an orthopedic, I am not one
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• hey layne,

i do alot of deadlifts.... my lower back gets so sore(5 to 7 days) that it has started affecting my leg work out.... i just cannot perform my squats.... i had to switch to hack squats....

my leg work out

single leg extension 2 warm up sets
                        1 work set followed by a triple rest pause set

hack squats 2 warm up sets
                        1 work set followed by a triple drop sets

leg presses 1 work set followed quadruple drop sets

leg curls 2 work sets

i have found that even though hack squats are good .... my main exercise for quad development was squats ..... and i want them to do them in my leg work out..... i wud really appreciate if u cud give me a solution for this....should i alternate deadlifts with hyper extension one workout to another......

thank you
                        Mike Arnold coaching/contest prep: mikearnold2010@live.com

Comment

• I have a question. If around 3 grams or so of leucine will max out protein synthesis, what's the reasoning behind taking in really anything more than 5-7 grams of bcaa at any given point in time, including both pre/post workout?

Comment

• Saw on your Twitter you have a new sodium article comeing out, very excited for that.

Also i was JW me and you and eric talked at the Animal Booth in Vegas, is that video going to be anywhere? or was it tossed?

Eitherway, i look forward to seeing you on stage again my man.

Comment

• Layne I have a question regarding skips on a jump rope.

Recently I picke up kick boxing and thought it will help me a little with speed and allow me to become more "jumpy" on my legs so to speak

Now combine with jogging and stepper, however, I give all the dues to jump rope my legs got cut up as hell and my calves just balloned in 2-3 months from being ok to being my best body part now I have veins all over them and my legs I would even say some major tendons are visible but I am not an anatomy buff.

Care to explain what is up should I continue once I come back to the gym after a 2 week off period, how often can I do them I started off with 2-3 minutes but now I can go for 10 with no break can this be my warm up.

Any exercise physiology ideas on jump rope I simply found it amazing yet so little info in bb community???
                              Biotivia Supported Athlete/Biotivia Rep

Comment

• Originally posted by dr intensity View Post
                                hey layne,

i do alot of deadlifts.... my lower back gets so sore(5 to 7 days) that it has started affecting my leg work out.... i just cannot perform my squats.... i had to switch to hack squats....

my leg work out

single leg extension 2 warm up sets
                                1 work set followed by a triple rest pause set

hack squats 2 warm up sets
                                1 work set followed by a triple drop sets

leg presses 1 work set followed quadruple drop sets

leg curls 2 work sets

i have found that even though hack squats are good .... my main exercise for quad development was squats ..... and i want them to do them in my leg work out..... i wud really appreciate if u cud give me a solution for this....should i alternate deadlifts with hyper extension one workout to another......

thank you
                                are you only working legs 1x per week?
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X