Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by the_genetic_freak View Post
    I have a question. If around 3 grams or so of leucine will max out protein synthesis, what's the reasoning behind taking in really anything more than 5-7 grams of bcaa at any given point in time, including both pre/post workout?
    3g maxes it from a baseline state. post workout you are actually catabolic so I account for the extra that may be required in that specific instance
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by treetrunklegs View Post
      Saw on your Twitter you have a new sodium article comeing out, very excited for that.

Also i was JW me and you and eric talked at the Animal Booth in Vegas, is that video going to be anywhere? or was it tossed?

Eitherway, i look forward to seeing you on stage again my man.
      it may or may not end up being on my 'inside the life' webseries... just depends on what paul (my video guy) thinks makes the best episodes
      BioLayne LLC
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by sugardaddy69 View Post
        Layne I have a question regarding skips on a jump rope.

Recently I picke up kick boxing and thought it will help me a little with speed and allow me to become more "jumpy" on my legs so to speak

Now combine with jogging and stepper, however, I give all the dues to jump rope my legs got cut up as hell and my calves just balloned in 2-3 months from being ok to being my best body part now I have veins all over them and my legs I would even say some major tendons are visible but I am not an anatomy buff.

Care to explain what is up should I continue once I come back to the gym after a 2 week off period, how often can I do them I started off with 2-3 minutes but now I can go for 10 with no break can this be my warm up.

Any exercise physiology ideas on jump rope I simply found it amazing yet so little info in bb community???
        sorry, i'm a bit confused on what your question was?
        BioLayne LLC
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
          are you only working legs 1x per week?

yes....i do every muscle group once a week....and one all out set ....i use either drop sets or rest pause... for all exercises except deadlifts....
          Mike Arnold coaching/contest prep: mikearnold2010@live.com

Comment

3g maxes it from a baseline state. post workout you are actually catabolic so I account for the extra that may be required in that specific instance
            Ahhh, makes sense. Thanks.

Comment

sorry, i'm a bit confused on what your question was?
              I meant incorporating jump rope in training,

I noticed watching your vids that you advocate HIT type cardio of quite intense sprints.

Now I found that jump rope really develops my legs and calves especially and can be done as an interval, however, jump rope also recruits upper body so should I count it as post cardio or maybe better short interval work 3 min jumpis 1 min rest 3 min jumps 1 min rest should be considered as warm up?? And then do indoor rower or stepper for 12-15 minutes as interval type cardio post workout?

Basically that was all I wanted to know also do you think that jump rope should be incorporated into leg day calves training as it really gives that muscle a chance to grow.

BTW someone told me that jumping actually releases water from your body making you look more cut could it be tru sounds like nonsense?

Now do you understand?? I try to be a lill more specific it is not about nutrition but anatomy and the place of an excercise (skips) in ones training as I can not find bb who do it probably only naturals can mange jump rope doubt I will ever see Jay Cutler on anything else but an elyptical

BTW does anybody have routines of old timers like workouts of Frank Zane or other Old Schoolers and would not mind posting some of it as I am looking for inspiration.
              Biotivia Supported Athlete/Biotivia Rep

Comment

• hey layne,

i have been doing 2 to 3 exercises/muscle group/1 all out intense set using all high intensity techniques ( rest pause and dropsets) .... all those 2 to 3 exercises are done from different angles....
                now if i do only 1exercise/musclegroup/1all out intense set using all out intense set using high intensity techniques.....

but i have been thinking about the "all or none law" either muscle contracts or it does not we cannot isolate a part of the muscle and make it contract ......

i was wondering if i should go for the latter option to ENSURE recovery of the muscle in the quickest possible time.....after all muscle building is all about recovering from your work outs.....

please let me know what wud be a better option?

wud really appreciate
                thank you
                Mike Arnold coaching/contest prep: mikearnold2010@live.com

Comment

• Originally posted by dr intensity View Post
                  yes....i do every muscle group once a week....and one all out set ....i use either drop sets or rest pause... for all exercises except deadlifts....
                  and that is exactly why. you train so infrequently your body is lazy at recovery (in terms of soreness).

despite the nonsense that is printed out there, if you train MORE frequently your soreness will actually DECREASE over time. I squat 2x/week and often deadlift 2x/week. I am never sore for more than 2 or 3 days. But when you only work something once per week you will be sore for days on end since you don't take advantage of the repeated bout effect.

also one all out set training method has been shown to be vastly inferior over time to multiple set periodized training
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

it may or may not end up being on my 'inside the life' webseries... just depends on what paul (my video guy) thinks makes the best episodes
                    Awesome man. Good to see you again.

Comment

• for those interested; just tipped the scales tonight at 233 lbs.

I took calipers of my bodyfat and i callipered at 11.6%. I know they measure about 3% too low but I pinched as much as I possibly could. So worst case scenario let's say i'm 15%. That still gives me way more lean body mass than I was last offseason

gonna keep pushing!
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• for those interested; just tipped the scales tonight at 233 lbs.

I took calipers of my bodyfat and i callipered at 11.6%. I know they measure about 3% too low but I pinched as much as I possibly could. So worst case scenario let's say i'm 15%. That still gives me way more lean body mass than I was last offseason

gonna keep pushing!
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

for those interested; just tipped the scales tonight at 233 lbs.

gonna keep pushing!
                          No doubt all that heavy leg training after the pec tear had something to do with this. Also, the deadlifting.

Has the pec given you any problems with deadlifts? And what has been your daily calorie/macro intake been like during this impressive weight gain?

Comment

• had no problems with the pec at all in probably 3 months and never had a problem deadlifting with it after about 9 months post surgery

right now my macros are around 260/500/90
                            -Layne
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• had no problems with the pec at all in probably 3 months and never had a problem deadlifting with it after about 9 months post surgery

right now my macros are around 260/500/90
                              -Layne
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Awesome Progression Layne! Keep it up! Can't wait to see you compete again.

Comment

Working...
                                X