Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wakingmalice View Post
    hey layne, I have seen you say in a couple places that you drank consistantly every weekend through undergrad school in college. As far as my knowledge about you goes, you were bodybuilding at this point. Do you think this drinking provided a significant hindering of progress towards your physique goals?
    Hey Layne. This is an old question that was unanswered. I'm curious to see your response. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
      well free form aminos are great because they spike plasma amino acids to supraphysiological levels. This is great. But I simply don't agree with the logic that with real foods you will be less flat. Flat or full is an issue of glycogen (which would relate to an issue of how gluconeogenic a particular protein is, and i'm pretty sure people don't want their protein to be a primary glucose source) and the amount of fluid in your vascular system and I fail to see how whole food vs. shakes would effect that. Now, may whole foods be more FILLING in terms of gut and stomach volume than shakes? Yes. However another option is that you blend your shake with ice to increase the volume of it and you will get a similar benefit.

as far as when I take amino acids, I take them between meals and I would suggest reading my reviews/articles on protein intake frequency and 'refractory response' to understand why as I have described so in detail
      I understand why you take the BCAA's between meals but I've heard a number of people recommend taking them just 10-20min. before meals (even with EAA's as well). What do you think of that?

Comment

well free form aminos are great because they spike plasma amino acids to supraphysiological levels. This is great. But I simply don't agree with the logic that with real foods you will be less flat. Flat or full is an issue of glycogen (which would relate to an issue of how gluconeogenic a particular protein is, and i'm pretty sure people don't want their protein to be a primary glucose source) and the amount of fluid in your vascular system and I fail to see how whole food vs. shakes would effect that. Now, may whole foods be more FILLING in terms of gut and stomach volume than shakes? Yes. However another option is that you blend your shake with ice to increase the volume of it and you will get a similar benefit.

as far as when I take amino acids, I take them between meals and I would suggest reading my reviews/articles on protein intake frequency and 'refractory response' to understand why as I have described so in detail
        so layne do you only eat evey 4-6 hours?i thought natural bbr's couldnt absorb high amounts of protein in one sitting hence more meals

Comment

• Originally posted by nath123 View Post
          hey layne
          do you know if its possible to go into engineering supplement formulas and working with things like protien,carbs and fats with an chemical engineering degree? Should i switch to sciences?
          I know this question was for Layne, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Chemistry/Biochemistry, Nutritional Science, Dietetics, Molecular Biology ect.. at most Universities require many of the same classes. For example Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, Advanced Nutrition. These types of classes are what will give you a foundation for supplement engineering.

That being said, have you looked into the job market for "supplement engineers?".

Hope this helps,

-Blake
          Bachelor's Degree in Exercise Science (Michigan State University) BodySpace Profile

Comment

• Just because Layne gets many questions, and skips some.... And if you ask me it's on purpose sometimes;

Originally posted by pumped340 View Post
            I understand why you take the BCAA's between meals but I've heard a number of people recommend taking them just 10-20min. before meals (even with EAA's as well). What do you think of that?
            He obvisouly feels his way is the best way. Why would you take them 10-20 minutes before you eat?

Originally posted by jayhawks View Post
            so layne do you only eat evey 4-6 hours?i thought natural bbr's couldnt absorb high amounts of protein in one sitting hence more meals
            4-5. You thought wrong, lol. (as do most)
            PanterA is a fictional character for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlakeSelby View Post
              I know this question was for Layne, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Chemistry/Biochemistry, Nutritional Science, Dietetics, Molecular Biology ect.. at most Universities require many of the same classes. For example Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, Advanced Nutrition. These types of classes are what will give you a foundation for supplement engineering.

That being said, have you looked into the job market for "supplement engineers?".

Hope this helps,

-Blake
              yeah it does help. Yeah i haven't looked into the market yet but i liked to do something with nutrition/supplementation and the body as my career.I think its amazing the changes your body can go through and how you can manipulate it.Im doing my best right now to talk to different group of experienced people such as biomedical engineers/chemical engineers, chemistry students, layne other people involved in the sports nutrition most focus on athletes and powerlifting/bodybuilding.

Comment

• Originally posted by PanterA View Post
                Just because Layne gets many questions, and skips some.... And if you ask me it's on purpose sometimes;

He obvisouly feels his way is the best way. Why would you take them 10-20 minutes before you eat?

4-5. You thought wrong, lol. (as do most)
                actually i read up on his research experiment about amino plasma levels
                and its 4-6 hours not 4-5

Comment

• Originally posted by jayhawks View Post
                  Oh... I thought he recommended every 4-5. I did every 4 for a while and it worked fine. It just became hard eating so much food at once. Especially when I was eating it cold at work. Now I eat every 2-3 hours for the most part, but I will go 4-5 hours from time to time, and thwn I eat alo when I do because I'm starving. It hasn't held me back at all that I've noticed.
                  PanterA is a fictional character for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

if you read that then i explain in there why i recommend timing BCAAs between meal
                    BioLayne LLC
                    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• hey layne
                      What your opinion on this product? Could you maybe explain to me how it works. Thought i ask you since you have biochem degree would give non biasis (sp) opinion.
                      http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ai/glycobol.html

Comment

if you read that then i explain in there why i recommend timing BCAAs between meal
                        well Layne i kow you wrote it but you only mention leucine(3-4g) between meals not bcaas..so which is better to take?

Comment

well Layne i kow you wrote it but you only mention leucine(3-4g) between meals not bcaas..so which is better to take?
                          Either is fine - it's the leucine content that matters. If you use BCAAs, make sure the leucine content is sufficient to spike protein synthesis - just like you would make sure that whatever protein source you use for food that the leucine content within that source is sufficient for spiking protein synthesis.

Sporto
                          IFPA Natural Professional Bodybuilder
                          Core Nutritionals Sales Rep

Comment

• anyone reccommand some good articles or books i could download or buy to learn more about natural body building. Ive been reading and looking into bodybuilding for years now and more so natural bodybuilding recently just finished all of layne's video series cutting/bulking articles and scivation free ebooks loves those.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sporto View Post
                              Either is fine - it's the leucine content that matters. If you use BCAAs, make sure the leucine content is sufficient to spike protein synthesis - just like you would make sure that whatever protein source you use for food that the leucine content within that source is sufficient for spiking protein synthesis.

Sporto
                              so is leucine nearly as benefical by itself as bcaa's containing similar amounts of leucine-this would save alot of money taking 18g of leucine per day verses 36g of bcaas

Comment

• Layne any scientific info on using digestive enzymes and acidophillus as a pro digestive aid.

Could it make calorie utilization more optimal, using the above mentioned supplements, therefore increasing potential gains. If only mildly.

What is your take on melatonin, helps recovery boosts testosterone and is it safe??
                                Biotivia Supported Athlete/Biotivia Rep

Comment

Working...
                                X