Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PanterA View Post
    Personally I push myself untill form starts to break down, but sometimes I push untill I couldn't get another rep if I had to. I train alone too, but you begin to get a feel for when you can get one more and when you can't.
    So on the last set...go until you can't possibly go any further.
    On the other working sets...go until you start to feel form is being compromised?
    My Journal:

Comment

• Originally posted by bluecountry View Post
      On the other working sets...go until you start to feel form is being compromised?
      I switch it up. Sometimes I go to failure all the time, and sometimes I stop right when form is going to break down. There isn't exactly a right or wrong way. Best thing you can do is start a log book to make sure you consistantly move forward
      PanterA is a fictional character for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Originally posted by David1991 View Post
        why not just weigh in after it's cooked? That's what I do and I imagine almost everyone else would do.
        you can do it either way. it doesn't really matter so long as you always do it the same way
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by jayhawks View Post
          lanyne, whats your take on leaving out carbs post workout when losing fat?
          i know you like to use simply carbs even when dieting, but i read up on george farah's page and he says not to use carbs post workout for 30 minutes because they blunt your GH levels so less fat burning?

well I think that's pretty dumb to be honest

yea let's leave out carbs at the point at which they are MOST useful for recovery and the point at which your body can best assimilate them and the point at which there is the least chance they will be stored as bodyfat.

that makes no sense whatsoever.

As for GH, there is no evidence that GH in the physiological range is anabolic in adults. The results in studies are equivocal. But we know damn well that carbs + protein will results in greater protein synthesis and enhanced post workout recovery.
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by baseballfever76 View Post
            Ok layne i need your advice? i realize the ifpa rules about all the prohormones/designer steroids...but here's th things there was like 3 different bans if i took an m-drol spawn that was still OTC 1 year ago(i believe the latest ban was like late sept. when bbing.com got raided) i feel dumb for ever taking them but C'MON !! they selled them in stores like they we're any other normal supplement i had no idea what i was putting in my body so everyone can say "o your not truly natural" "fuck off a 3 week cycle of cyclobolan doesn't make me gain 40 pounds and drop to 3% body fat" . do i have to wait 7 years or 2 years. i know your gonna say just look at the site but its confusing cause there's so many different spawns of the chemicals. the latest ban was sept. 25th 2009 ....
            i would contact the ifpa personally. i don't know the details of the drug policies on every single drug for every single org

this is exactly the reason i stay away from gray area stuff, too hard to keep track of lol
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by bluecountry View Post
              i have a review with a professor from Eastern Illinois University that should be coming out soon in the J of Strength and Conditioning about training to failure. Basically you need to cycle training to failure and probably only go to failure on the last set for a given exercise and go no longer than 6 weeks of continuous failure training
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                i have a review with a professor from Eastern Illinois University that should be coming out soon in the J of Strength and Conditioning about training to failure. Basically you need to cycle training to failure and probably only go to failure on the last set for a given exercise and go no longer than 6 weeks of continuous failure training
                So go 6 weeks with failure on last working set only, then 6 weeks with failure on all sets?
                My Journal:

Comment

• that seems about right. then i'd take a week or 2 break from failure and then start it again
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

well I think that's pretty dumb to be honest

yea let's leave out carbs at the point at which they are MOST useful for recovery and the point at which your body can best assimilate them and the point at which there is the least chance they will be stored as bodyfat.

that makes no sense whatsoever.

As for GH, there is no evidence that GH in the physiological range is anabolic in adults. The results in studies are equivocal. But we know damn well that carbs + protein will results in greater protein synthesis and enhanced post workout recovery.
                    im not arguing but i just want to pick at your knowlodge.
                    studys show that fats and carbs blunt GH
                    and does GH not promote fat burning, hence why alot of ifb pros take it?

Comment

To be clear, when you say "going to failure" do you mean the point where you absolutely could not get another rep or a point where you, for example, get halfway through a squat but then can't finish it?

It's hard to tell but it seems like from your training videos even if your not failing your still pushing yourself very hard so in general how many reps do you tend to leave in the tank on most sets?

Comment

He said this;

"As for GH, there is no evidence that GH in the physiological range is anabolic in adults."

He says the same about insulin too. Slin and GH are anabolic, but not at the levels we humans produce. Only the levels some inject.
                        PanterA is a fictional character for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

As PanterA said, GH has that effect when you are supplementing large exogenous amounts of it. But in the physiological range it does not. Same thing with insulin. In adults, insulin is not anabolic on it's own the physiological (ie the amount the body produces) range. But if you supplement with it, and add in large amounts then you can get an anabolic response from it.

If you are in a caloric deficit, and you just get done working out, your fat oxidation is already elevated, AMP kinase is triggered, and your mitochondria will be oxidizing fat like crazy. Not consuming carbs because you are worried about limiting GH is like worrying about slowing down a tank by shooting it with a handgun.

-Layne
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by David1991 View Post
                            To be clear, when you say "going to failure" do you mean the point where you absolutely could not get another rep or a point where you, for example, get halfway through a squat but then can't finish it?

It's hard to tell but it seems like from your training videos even if your not failing your still pushing yourself very hard so in general how many reps do you tend to leave in the tank on most sets?
                            i'm not sure i understand the difference of your example?

failure is defined as when you can no longer do another concentric rep
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

As PanterA said, GH has that effect when you are supplementing large exogenous amounts of it. But in the physiological range it does not. Same thing with insulin. In adults, insulin is not anabolic on it's own the physiological (ie the amount the body produces) range. But if you supplement with it, and add in large amounts then you can get an anabolic response from it.

If you are in a caloric deficit, and you just get done working out, your fat oxidation is already elevated, AMP kinase is triggered, and your mitochondria will be oxidizing fat like crazy. Not consuming carbs because you are worried about limiting GH is like worrying about slowing down a tank by shooting it with a handgun.

-Layne
                              thanks! so when people say you need to spike your insulin levels post workout its not actually true?
                              also do you prefer the high carb low fat(20%) diet rather than high fat moderate carbs when cutting?

Comment

• this is the first time im posting, but i mostly just read here anyway. Layne i wanted to ask you a couple of things.

1. This article http://www.criticalbench.com/whey_supplement_buy.htm describes the differences between the types of whey protein (i.e. whey protein concentrate, isolate, etc). I was wondering how valid the claims are. Would it be that much beneficial to mainly use whey protein isolates?

2. I just read in the latest MD mag that soy protein increases GH secretion. Does it do so significantly? Would it be worth it to switch to that as opposed to whey, if i had to choose one or the other?

3. Ive also read a few times that calcium supplementation increases testosterone. How true is this?

4. Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion on DC training for gaining size and strength?

Thanks for your time. Appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                                X