Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jayhawks View Post
    thanks! so when people say you need to spike your insulin levels post workout its not actually true?
    also do you prefer the high carb low fat(20%) diet rather than high fat moderate carbs when cutting?
    if you read my articles you will find that i do not prefer any one type of diet. It is all individual. everything is constructed around the individuals metabolism. I've had some people on 400g of carbs per day to get read and i've had others on 40g. I always chuckle when some of these prep guys try to take cookie cutter plans and put everyone on the same plan and then can't figure out what went wrong when they get inconsistent results.
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
      if you read my articles you will find that i do not prefer any one type of diet. It is all individual. everything is constructed around the individuals metabolism. I've had some people on 400g of carbs per day to get read and i've had others on 40g. I always chuckle when some of these prep guys try to take cookie cutter plans and put everyone on the same plan and then can't figure out what went wrong when they get inconsistent results.
      ye i know you stress that but i ment you personally..i read some of you logs and in the lastest one at the same number of weeks out your protein had increased fro mthe previous years

Comment

• i will probably start out this contest prep at:

275g protein, 225-250g carbs, 60g fat

on higher carb days it will probably look like 250/400/55 but that may change
        BioLayne LLC
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

i'm not sure i understand the difference of your example?

failure is defined as when you can no longer do another concentric rep
          Well some people say "going to failure" is when you complete your last rep, say your 10th rep for example, but know that you couldn't get an 11th. While others would say training to failure means actually failing the achieve your last rep, like going for the 11th rep but failing to finish it

Comment

• What good does attempting a rep you can't get do you? When you struggle to get a rep and the weight is barely moving, sometimes you might think 'oh shit I hope it get this'.... Then you hit falure You couldn't get another rep if you had to.
            PanterA is a fictional character for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Hello Layne, hope all is well.

do you have a link to the site where your studies are that talk about things like leucine and such? I have been looking but can't find squat!
              Also how come so much emphasis on BCAA's on here, but everywhere else I read people say BCAA's are useless compared to EAA's.

And one more q...do you drink milk still? so many bodybuilders are against it and I saw in your old BB.com article about being in college that you drank it.

Thanks and take care
              nose to the grindstone

Comment

• Hey Layne
                what are your opinions on ZMA supplementing when using a high quality multi?

Also what is a good BF% to start a competition diet on if you want to do a 20 week prep?
                - I know it may be different for everyone body but just general guideline.

Comment

• Originally posted by David1991 View Post
                  Well some people say "going to failure" is when you complete your last rep, say your 10th rep for example, but know that you couldn't get an 11th. While others would say training to failure means actually failing the achieve your last rep, like going for the 11th rep but failing to finish it
                  i don't attempt a rep i don't think i can get typically
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Originally posted by andrewT View Post
                    Hello Layne, hope all is well.

do you have a link to the site where your studies are that talk about things like leucine and such? I have been looking but can't find squat!
                    Also how come so much emphasis on BCAA's on here, but everywhere else I read people say BCAA's are useless compared to EAA's.

And one more q...do you drink milk still? so many bodybuilders are against it and I saw in your old BB.com article about being in college that you drank it.

Thanks and take care
                    well because they don't really understand the research that is why.

and because many of them have vested interests in selling EAA products.

here is peter garlicks study that proved conclusively that it is the BCAAs out of the EAAs that increase muscle protein synthesis

as you can see, when you remove the BCAAs from the complete mixture, protein synthesis does not increase. So hence the other EAAs don't mean shit in terms of increasing protein synthesis in muscle

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/135/6/1553S/F3
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by nath123 View Post
                      Hey Layne
                      what are your opinions on ZMA supplementing when using a high quality multi?

Also what is a good BF% to start a competition diet on if you want to do a 20 week prep?
                      - I know it may be different for everyone body but just general guideline.
                      zma is garbage

for your last question. you know what i'm going to say LOL. it depends on a ton of factors. bodyfat, only being one. I wouldn't be too far over 15% though unless you are like 150 lbs
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

well because they don't really understand the research that is why.

and because many of them have vested interests in selling EAA products.

here is peter garlicks study that proved conclusively that it is the BCAAs out of the EAAs that increase muscle protein synthesis

as you can see, when you remove the BCAAs from the complete mixture, protein synthesis does not increase. So hence the other EAAs don't mean shit in terms of increasing protein synthesis in muscle

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/135/6/1553S/F3
                        Thanks Layne I appreciate the response, especially since I know you get asked the same shit non stop. Take care and kick ass!
                        nose to the grindstone

Comment

zma is garbage

for your last question. you know what i'm going to say LOL. it depends on a ton of factors. bodyfat, only being one. I wouldn't be too far over 15% though unless you are like 150 lbs
                          haha yeah i figured that be the answer, but it helped give me an idea where i want to be in December BF% wise. Thanks i always wondered about zma ill finish bottle i have and stop using it.

Thanks again layne.

Comment

i will probably start out this contest prep at:

275g protein, 225-250g carbs, 60g fat

on higher carb days it will probably look like 250/400/55 but that may change
                            Add some MYO-T12 to this and you will be on the cover of MD in six months.

I believe you stated that you are currently at 240/500/80-90?

What does your pre, intra, post supp/nutrition look like currently?

Comment

• Hey Layne
                              thought I would pick your brain a bit again.

Have you ever used any nutrient partitioning products at all?
                              nose to the grindstone

Comment

• Originally posted by andrewT View Post
                                Hey Layne
                                thought I would pick your brain a bit again.

Have you ever used any nutrient partitioning products at all?
                                interested in this as well..things such as m-stak by animal

Comment

Working...
                                X