Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Since we are on the topic of nutrient partitioning products,
    layne what are your thoughts about stuff like Chromium and Vanadyl sulfate (taken in with meals containing copious amount of carbs)? E.g. 200 mcg chrome 10mg vanadyl

    And what are your thoughts on the statement that " the muscle is built by supersaturating the cell (with carbs?) to its extreme" by Tipsta?

    Not trying to create any disputes between u and tipsta just wanted to find out your thoughts.

    Peace.
    Trying to get shredded. 18years old going on 19. 175cm / 160lbs / 72kg

    Comment


    • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
      i don't attempt a rep i don't think i can get typically
      Oh alright, I think that confuses a lot of people considering many consider "going to failure" as actually "failing" to get the rep which is more draining on the body

      Comment


      • Big man how do you feel about weight gainer shakes, if you do like them, what brand do you use.

        Comment


        • you guys will have to forgive me for my delayed responses. I've had a death in the family and had to attend a funeral out of nowhere and so i'm very behind on all my work. I may not get to these for a week
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

          Comment


          • Sorry for your loss and appreciate you coming onto the boards and sharing your knowledge
            Trying to get shredded. 18years old going on 19. 175cm / 160lbs / 72kg

            Comment


            • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
              you guys will have to forgive me for my delayed responses. I've had a death in the family and had to attend a funeral out of nowhere and so i'm very behind on all my work. I may not get to these for a week
              Sorry for your loss bro

              Comment


              • Hi Layne. Hope all is well with you and I'm sorry for your loss.

                My question is pretty basic and I didn't see it in the FAQ so here goes:

                I know that you don't like to gain weight faster than 0.5 to 1.0 lb per week.

                How long should a guy go without gaining (while trying to!) before adding more calories, and how many additional calories is appropriate?

                And a related question, do you find your weight gain is fairly linear over your bulking cycle? Or, do you find that you will hold steady for a week or two and then suddenly gain a few pounds?

                I have had trouble gaining weight consistently on a week to week basis in the past, even with calorie intakes as high as 3800 which should be roughly 500 to 700 calories above maintenance depending on activity that day.

                Thanks so much for your time.

                Comment


                • i'd wait a weak or 2 before adding kcals.

                  weight gain or loss is usually not linear. It's like a stair case
                  BioLayne LLC
                  PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

                  Comment


                  • Layne, sorry for your loss man

                    If you have time, I'd love your expertise on my new diet that I'm doing.

                    So before I started I logged my calories, protein, carbs, etc and got this:

                    Calories-3195
                    Protein-296.8
                    Carbs-158.5
                    Fats-145.6

                    So the breakdown was 41.84% fats, 20.25% carbs, and 37.91% protein

                    I also figured out my resting metabolic rate is 1897 Calories per day

                    I'm currently 6'0, 200lbs with an estimate of 10-11% BF. My goal is to lean down to 8% while obviously retaining as much muscle as possible.

                    I was recommended from a forum member to cut my calories down to around 2600 and start my cut there. What do you think Layne? I adjusted my diet yesterday and got these numbers:

                    2665 Calories
                    103.6g fat
                    147.8g carbs
                    272.8g protein

                    Total fat: 35.66%
                    Total carbs: 22.6%
                    Total Protein: 41.73%

                    Also, I am lifting (doing Scivation's Tri-phase program) and doing post-workout cardio for 20 mins (stairmaster).

                    Would love your opinions on this Layne, thanks!!

                    Comment


                    • Layne, hope you're doing well, I also have a sick family member and it's very tough.

                      Layne i've found a pretty solid post workout stack but I was wondering how to time it with the post workout meal - (following the post workout shake). I've herd it's best to wait 25 min. after a workout to have your post workout shake, then have a solid meal 30 min. after that shake. How do you space out yours?

                      Comment


                      • no, have it immediately after your workout.
                        BioLayne LLC
                        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by woofman81 View Post
                          Layne, sorry for your loss man

                          If you have time, I'd love your expertise on my new diet that I'm doing.

                          So before I started I logged my calories, protein, carbs, etc and got this:

                          Calories-3195
                          Protein-296.8
                          Carbs-158.5
                          Fats-145.6

                          So the breakdown was 41.84% fats, 20.25% carbs, and 37.91% protein

                          I also figured out my resting metabolic rate is 1897 Calories per day

                          I'm currently 6'0, 200lbs with an estimate of 10-11% BF. My goal is to lean down to 8% while obviously retaining as much muscle as possible.

                          I was recommended from a forum member to cut my calories down to around 2600 and start my cut there. What do you think Layne? I adjusted my diet yesterday and got these numbers:

                          2665 Calories
                          103.6g fat
                          147.8g carbs
                          272.8g protein

                          Total fat: 35.66%
                          Total carbs: 22.6%
                          Total Protein: 41.73%

                          Also, I am lifting (doing Scivation's Tri-phase program) and doing post-workout cardio for 20 mins (stairmaster).

                          Would love your opinions on this Layne, thanks!!
                          how old are you?

                          I don't really know enough about your individual metabolism to know what macronutrient breakdown is best for you
                          BioLayne LLC
                          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by GabrielGray View Post
                            Since we are on the topic of nutrient partitioning products,
                            layne what are your thoughts about stuff like Chromium and Vanadyl sulfate (taken in with meals containing copious amount of carbs)? E.g. 200 mcg chrome 10mg vanadyl

                            And what are your thoughts on the statement that " the muscle is built by supersaturating the cell (with carbs?) to its extreme" by Tipsta?

                            Not trying to create any disputes between u and tipsta just wanted to find out your thoughts.

                            Peace.
                            chromium does not do anything for non-diabetics. vanadyl only increases basal glucose uptake; not insulin stimulated glucose uptake; so that makes it really less useful than something like lipoic acid which increases insulin stimulated glucose uptake
                            BioLayne LLC
                            PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

                            Comment


                            • Meal 1:
                              Mass Shake = 600 Cals

                              Meal 2:
                              2 Cans of Tuna, 4 Slices of Wheat Toast, 1 Cup of Veggies.

                              Meal 3:
                              Mass Shake = 600 Cals

                              Meal 4:
                              3 Tblspns of Peanut Butter, 2 Slices of Wheat Toast, 1 Banana or 1 1/2 Cups of Milk.

                              Meal 5:
                              Beef, Chicken, Fish - 12, 16oz.
                              1 Slice of Wheat Toast, 1 Cup of Veggies.

                              Meal 6:
                              1 Cup of mixed Nuts, 25g of Casein.

                              Idk.. Like..
                              220g of Protein
                              260g of Carbs
                              75-120g of Fats
                              Just a guess.

                              I am 10 Weeks out.

                              I'm nattie, about 174lbs (about 8-10%BF), 17 years old. My training style is in my Signature.

                              Anything you'd change, keep the same, ect?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by TyAl View Post
                                Meal 1:
                                Mass Shake = 600 Cals

                                Meal 2:
                                2 Cans of Tuna, 4 Slices of Wheat Toast, 1 Cup of Veggies.

                                Meal 3:
                                Mass Shake = 600 Cals

                                Meal 4:
                                3 Tblspns of Peanut Butter, 2 Slices of Wheat Toast, 1 Banana or 1 1/2 Cups of Milk.

                                Meal 5:
                                Beef, Chicken, Fish - 12, 16oz.
                                1 Slice of Wheat Toast, 1 Cup of Veggies.

                                Meal 6:
                                1 Cup of mixed Nuts, 25g of Casein.

                                Idk.. Like..
                                220g of Protein
                                260g of Carbs
                                75-120g of Fats
                                Just a guess.

                                I am 10 Weeks out.

                                I'm nattie, about 174lbs (about 8-10%BF), 17 years old. My training style is in my Signature.

                                Anything you'd change, keep the same, ect?
                                I don't know anything about you or your metabolism. I have no way to know if this is optimal for you.

                                and if you don't know exactly what pro/carb/fat you are taking in, what in the world are you doing a contest for? You need to know your EXACT macronutrient intake, or you don't know anything
                                BioLayne LLC
                                PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X