Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Quelly View Post
    lol....you ask this question of the man who has done the research showing that eating every 4-6 hours is better than every 2-3 lol
    Oh yeah, i've watched Layne's video, he's talking about some larger meals supported by BCAA's. Is that it? If not, could you give me the link of that article or video please? Thanks Quelly.
    By the way, question still here, doesn't matter if you sleep for 4 or 5 hours, you still need to wake up in the middle of the night to eat every 4 or 5 hours. lol

Comment

• hey layne

i seem to have a problem with water retention... any thoughts on adding more potassium in a diet? i do remember reading a post where u said to avoid diuretics and just get actually shredded. Have u ever had a client with this problem??

Also, i know ur sponcered by scivation, but how would one go about adding BCAAs to a calorie restricted diet? Best times, amount etc?

Thanks in advance and congrats on ur recent success!

Comment

• If someone is either in an off season mass gain phase or a pre contest phase, yet in each instance is consuming 1.5-2.0 grams of protein per lb. of lean mass, is supplementing with extra BCAA's really that much more beneficial? Or, at most, unnecessary? Especially if their workout drink is 40-60 grams WPI or WPI/WPC blend?

Thanks, Layne

Comment

• Hey Layne what would you recommend to someone who needs to fill out a lot still, but isn't very lean? Cut the fat and bulk up cleaner next time or just keep bulking for a while more and keep it clean? Thanks.

Comment

• Layne, continuing to inspire me to stay natural and work my way up the the top drug-free.

Comment

• Hi Layne!

How much grams of BCAA's would you recommend for a midnight bcaa shake for a 230-240lbs bodydbuilder?

Is there a minimum amount of L-Leucine that you would recommend in this midnight bcaa shake?

Thanks Layne

Comment

• Lanye

What have you learned since you wrote you "Comprehensive Pre-contest Article" 4-5 years ago. I am sure most has stayed the same as a result of your prior success. What will you change in the future, pre-contest. Will you incorporate 4-5 smaller meals and take BCAA+waxy maize in between? Will you do more or less cardio (hiit and Low-intensity)? Have you looked back 5 years and said "this is what works, and this is and still is the optimal balance(diet,training,cardio) for my body?"

I know you've learned A LOT in the past five years; between prepping others and all that hard time in the labs of U of I. Knowledge is a function of time.

And if you get time can you possibly get me Tommy's autograph? Considering he's the new host of natural bodybuilding radio and all. Tell him to make it out to "My Biggest Fan."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironman19871 View Post
                  Lanye

What have you learned since you wrote you "Comprehensive Pre-contest Article" 4-5 years ago. I am sure most has stayed the same as a result of your prior success. What will you change in the future, pre-contest. Will you incorporate 4-5 smaller meals and take BCAA+waxy maize in between? Will you do more or less cardio (hiit and Low-intensity)? Have you looked back 5 years and said "this is what works, and this is and still is the optimal balance(diet,training,cardio) for my body?"

I know you've learned A LOT in the past five years; between prepping others and all that hard time in the labs of U of I. Knowledge is a function of time.

And if you get time can you possibly get me Tommy's autograph? Considering he's the new host of natural bodybuilding radio and all. Tell him to make it out to "My Biggest Fan."

Correction: 4-5 LARGER Meals.

See what "doing what has always been done" effects my vocabulary. Damn the high cost of good university nutritional research.

Comment

• Layne- I'm curious as to your recommendation on food intake timing. I'm an ectomorph and am currently eating every three hours. Is that a good split between meals or should I be shooting for every two hours? Yes the meals are high protein, moderate carbs and weighed out.

Comment

• Originally posted by danb21 View Post
                      Hey Layne what would you recommend to someone who needs to fill out a lot still, but isn't very lean? Cut the fat and bulk up cleaner next time or just keep bulking for a while more and keep it clean? Thanks.
                      I'm not Layne, but I've gone through this b4. What I recommend is that you figure out EXACTLY what you've been eating. Take down the cal's by a few hundred and then write down your off-season diet and put a sheet with foods and times up on your refrigerator. This will aid in your accountability. You will still be at a calorie surplus. Do this for 6 weeks and train like a freak...I'm talking each bodypart 2x/wk high volume, high intensity. (at this point your metabolism will be ramped up)...then take down your cal's by 400-600 and start doing high intensity cardio in the morning 3 days/wk. Do this for 3 weeks. Then slowly work back up into your 6 week bulk routine, drop the cardio, and repeat. Do this for 6 months. You should be considerably bigger and leaner.

-Blake
                      Bachelor's Degree in Exercise Science (Michigan State University) BodySpace Profile

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                        yes, my traditional, power/hypertrophy split
                        Just curious how you would change the leg portion of power days if you couldnt do low reps anymore. I have found that anything low lately (squats, hacks) produce more joint pain than anything. I do like the routine...just not a cool thing to be in such pain 2 - 3 days post training.
                        Shelby 01/2000 - 4/18/10. Rest in peace baby, there's no more suffering.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigoso View Post
                          just wanted to say I way very appreciative to read your column in the last MD about different types of diets and how people react to them. I find so often gurus get caught up in the type of diet that they respond to the best and forget that every body is different. Sure we all have the same basic physiology going on, but how we react to any array of things from foods to supplements can be completely different. Just really refreshing to read that from someone who preps people
                          glad you enjoyed it man. I think everyone is guilty of being close minded at times, myself included
                          BioLayne LLC
                          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Fitzchivalry View Post
                            Is it better to use whey if you are going to use protein powders sometimes for meals to have the rising and lowering of levels as explained in your slide show, etc. or would it matter if you used a blend such as Dymatizes elite 12 hour protein, etc. that claimed to keep levels elevated for such a long time?
                            all my research suggest whey is the best
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by jayhawks View Post
                              Lanyne, whats your take on frequency training vs volume?
                              hav eyou heard of the bigger beyond belief program?
                              training muscle group approx 3 times per week but only 4 sets per day.Im currently doing a normal bodypart split but people say they have great gains on it. here's an example from the bodybuilding.com spokesmodel winner who loves this routine http://blog.bodybuilding.com/bookerbrother
                              Do you thinks its enough volume, there is also a 4 day split I may do instead.
                              I've had awesome gains from when I've trained bodypart 3x/week. I think it would work fine once your body adapted to it
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by got_muscle View Post
                                Oh yeah, i've watched Layne's video, he's talking about some larger meals supported by BCAA's. Is that it? If not, could you give me the link of that article or video please? Thanks Quelly.
                                By the way, question still here, doesn't matter if you sleep for 4 or 5 hours, you still need to wake up in the middle of the night to eat every 4 or 5 hours. lol
                                i'd suggest watching my video series and only reading articles I've written in the last 5 years.

the one you quoted is like 8-9 years old. I wish it was not on the site, just doesn't fit with what I know now
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X