Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by David1991 View Post
    In your opinion how many weeks (I know it varies, but roughly) would it take for an endomorph at 175lb and 18%bf to get to about 9-10%? Would someone like this with not much muscle and too much fat have any appreciable risk of muscle loss if they just made sure to keep strength up?
    impossible to know. it depends on hundreds of factors
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

    Comment


    • Originally posted by tre_77 View Post
      hey layne

      i seem to have a problem with water retention... any thoughts on adding more potassium in a diet? i do remember reading a post where u said to avoid diuretics and just get actually shredded. Have u ever had a client with this problem??

      Also, i know ur sponcered by scivation, but how would one go about adding BCAAs to a calorie restricted diet? Best times, amount etc?

      Thanks in advance and congrats on ur recent success!
      unless you have edema & your fingers & feet are swolen or your stomach is distended, you are not retaining water. potassium won't do jack
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

      Comment


      • Originally posted by moreps View Post
        If someone is either in an off season mass gain phase or a pre contest phase, yet in each instance is consuming 1.5-2.0 grams of protein per lb. of lean mass, is supplementing with extra BCAA's really that much more beneficial? Or, at most, unnecessary? Especially if their workout drink is 40-60 grams WPI or WPI/WPC blend?

        Thanks, Layne
        2g protein/lb is ludicrous

        and free form amino acids have different physiological effects that intact proteins do not have, regardless of their amino acid content due to the differences in how they effect plasma amino acid levels
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

        Comment


        • Originally posted by danb21 View Post
          Hey Layne what would you recommend to someone who needs to fill out a lot still, but isn't very lean? Cut the fat and bulk up cleaner next time or just keep bulking for a while more and keep it clean? Thanks.
          i say when in doubt, cut
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

          Comment


          • Originally posted by krazygale465 View Post
            Layne, continuing to inspire me to stay natural and work my way up the the top drug-free.
            glad to hear it, best of luck to you!
            BioLayne LLC
            PhD, Nutritional Sciences
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Ironman19871 View Post
              Correction: 4-5 LARGER Meals.

              See what "doing what has always been done" effects my vocabulary. Damn the high cost of good university nutritional research.
              i'd change a few things, would be more aggressive with the carb up, would not cut sodium at all, but on the most part the problem is people think that following the article is some kind of end all be all that will never fail. Look it's an article, it's damn good, but everyone's metabolism is different, it is just a general guide. But anyone who writes an article and says it will work great for everyone, is arrogant, or full of shit, or both
              BioLayne LLC
              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

              Comment


              • Originally posted by FRED-E-MAC View Post
                Layne- I'm curious as to your recommendation on food intake timing. I'm an ectomorph and am currently eating every three hours. Is that a good split between meals or should I be shooting for every two hours? Yes the meals are high protein, moderate carbs and weighed out.
                you have not read any parts of this thread? even in the last 2 pages this has been discussed. but what the hell eh?

                i recommend eating every 4-5 hours with 4-6g BCAAs in between meals
                BioLayne LLC
                PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

                Comment


                • Originally posted by AzDrugFree View Post
                  Just curious how you would change the leg portion of power days if you couldnt do low reps anymore. I have found that anything low lately (squats, hacks) produce more joint pain than anything. I do like the routine...just not a cool thing to be in such pain 2 - 3 days post training.
                  then you just simply wouldn't have a power day. both days would be similar in reps
                  BioLayne LLC
                  PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                    then you just simply wouldn't have a power day. both days would be similar in reps
                    Thats what I thought buddy. Funny thing is that I dont have knee pain with I go low reps with deads. So I am curious what would be your take on a power day for legs that started with deads, then maybe some heavy lunges and leg curls?
                    Shelby 01/2000 - 4/18/10. Rest in peace baby, there's no more suffering.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by AzDrugFree View Post
                      Thats what I thought buddy. Funny thing is that I dont have knee pain with I go low reps with deads. So I am curious what would be your take on a power day for legs that started with deads, then maybe some heavy lunges and leg curls?
                      that's because deadlifts don't require that much knee movement.

                      i think that approach would be fine
                      BioLayne LLC
                      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                        that's because deadlifts don't require that much knee movement.

                        i think that approach would be fine
                        Thanks again....
                        Shelby 01/2000 - 4/18/10. Rest in peace baby, there's no more suffering.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                          2g protein/lb is ludicrous

                          and free form amino acids have different physiological effects that intact proteins do not have, regardless of their amino acid content due to the differences in how they effect plasma amino acid levels
                          Fair enough. Thank you for your response. And congrats on your recent achievement!

                          I go back and forth with you and Alan Aragon. IMO, two brilliant minds. Obviously you two disagree with the bcaa protocol.

                          Two grams per lb. of lean mass is quite a lot. However, let's say that our imaginary lifter is consuming 1.5 grams protein per lb. of lean mass AND taking in bcaa's between meals, upon wakeup, pre, peri, post workout, and maybe again before bed. Wouldn't this be just as ludicrous? How much more of an edge would one have, or not have if he just consumed the protein contained in powders and whole foods?

                          Thanks, Layne

                          Comment


                          • sure it would be too much, but it's too much because of the overall protein, not the bcaas. the difference is in the digestion rates and how they impact plasma levels of BCAA. The plasma responses of amino acids are what dictate anabolic signaling in muscle. we have found that the same amount of free form amino acid... let's say 5g of BCAA that is free form, compared to 5g in whey, generates almost a two fold greater plasma response and is able to overcome the refractory response and enhance the anabolic potential of a meal. We have just recently completed that study. So when it's published, then maybe Alan will have a change of mind
                            BioLayne LLC
                            PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                              sure it would be too much, but it's too much because of the overall protein, not the bcaas. the difference is in the digestion rates and how they impact plasma levels of BCAA. The plasma responses of amino acids are what dictate anabolic signaling in muscle. we have found that the same amount of free form amino acid... let's say 5g of BCAA that is free form, compared to 5g in whey, generates almost a two fold greater plasma response and is able to overcome the refractory response and enhance the anabolic potential of a meal. We have just recently completed that study. So when it's published, then maybe Alan will have a change of mind
                              Ha, thanks for the response. I am anxious to see this study, when published. Where can one locate it when it's available?? I am sure Alan will find some kind of hole in it, and expose it for all it's worth, and possibly beyond. Give him an inch and he'll take a mile.

                              Thanks again, Layne! Good info!

                              Comment


                              • Layne, do you think its ok to consume simple sugars such as a juice/tang between meals with 5g of BCAA to recieve the benefits?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X