Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    I'm not really sure, but healthy oils are only healthy to a point and at the quantity they are using it's all unhealthy
    Absolutely bro, I really meant it hypothetically as there's no way in hell I'm eating that shit. Just something I've always wondered about...

Comment

• hey Layne !
      what do you think about leg separation, does it come from training of only low bodyfat ?

I'd like my legs to have that kind of separation ( pic below ) but from the side it isn't really separated. I am still 7 weeks out, I see some deep striation in my glutes ( altought I still have some fat to lose in that area ) but my legs from the side aren't very detailed

thanks for your help

Comment

• alot of it is just having a lot of beef on your outer quad so that it hangs over the side, giving the illusion of greater separation. As you can see in this picture here, My legs are quite lean but lack that really separated look from the side; due to lack of outer quad development... something I'm working to remedy. To answer your question, partly leanness, partly development, partly genetics.
        Attached Files
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Layne i look at your pix of your obliques and sides and there is much greater detail then those of the top pros like Ronnie and Jay and Branch and such is that because of juice or is that more the fact of lower BF?

BTW Xtend has a decent taste till the last swig the stuff thats not mixed well really gets ya

Comment

• i honestly think it's probably a combination of factors. Jay has never had great obliques nor has ronnie, but if you look at some guys like dexter they have outstanding obliques, so I don't think it's just juice
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• I think some of it is water retention too, which is an affect of the juice. One of the really interesting things I learned from Marika Johanssons post has been how much that affects water retention; she works with Dorian Yates, and apparently he's a believer in a bare minimum of drugs, especially leading up to contest time because they can make you retain subcutaneous water no matter how much diuretics you take. That was how he always got so dry and conditioned, and he just focused on super strict dieting and workouts.
              I min/max my physique

Comment

• newb questions

Layne, as so many people here have noted you look great in your avatar. I'm sorry if the questions I ask are repeats, I scanned through this thread, but don't think I saw answers.

I am in the military and have decided to focus on bodybuilding to shed some inches from my waist. I have a 16.5" neck with a 40" waist.

As a newb, what should my macronutrient breakdown be? Should this change as I progress?

I also posted in the Performance section, before I found you thread, a question about how many sets should be performed for various bodyparts as many of the article I have read suggest different amounts. The most common seems to be 3-4 exercises for a total of 12-15 sets for large muscle groups and 2-3 exercises for 8-9 sets for smaller body parts. What do you recommend?

How much Cardio should I do? My unit PT's twice a week, and usually runs 1.5 miles on mon and 3.0 miles on Fri. These are SLOW runs, actually they can be classified as fast walks if you want to.

What is a good chest routine for someone at my stage? I have tried several, but unless I take an inordinately wide grip on the Olympic bar, I seem to be hitting my delts more than my chest. I read your pec routine using DB on bodybuilding.com, but you said that was a shock routine. Chest so far seems to be my biggest problem.

For my career and health, I intend to remain drug free, and the shape you have attained is a real inspiration. Thanks for your time.

Comment

• Hi Layne
                  After contest how many days does it take normaly to feel no hunger at all or it is only happen when I rich my bodyfat setpoint?
                  Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Bottom Gun View Post
                    Layne, as so many people here have noted you look great in your avatar. I'm sorry if the questions I ask are repeats, I scanned through this thread, but don't think I saw answers.

I am in the military and have decided to focus on bodybuilding to shed some inches from my waist. I have a 16.5" neck with a 40" waist.

As a newb, what should my macronutrient breakdown be? Should this change as I progress?

I also posted in the Performance section, before I found you thread, a question about how many sets should be performed for various bodyparts as many of the article I have read suggest different amounts. The most common seems to be 3-4 exercises for a total of 12-15 sets for large muscle groups and 2-3 exercises for 8-9 sets for smaller body parts. What do you recommend?

How much Cardio should I do? My unit PT's twice a week, and usually runs 1.5 miles on mon and 3.0 miles on Fri. These are SLOW runs, actually they can be classified as fast walks if you want to.

What is a good chest routine for someone at my stage? I have tried several, but unless I take an inordinately wide grip on the Olympic bar, I seem to be hitting my delts more than my chest. I read your pec routine using DB on bodybuilding.com, but you said that was a shock routine. Chest so far seems to be my biggest problem.

For my career and health, I intend to remain drug free, and the shape you have attained is a real inspiration. Thanks for your time.
                    That's really broad questions and I could probably spend 3 hours typing out all the answers. Essentially much of it depends on your metabolism, how fast you want to lose weight, etc. I would read some of my articles here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne.htm and concerning weight loss this article http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm would be really helpful to you I think.

-Layne
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by petyo View Post
                      Hi Layne
                      After contest how many days does it take normaly to feel no hunger at all or it is only happen when I rich my bodyfat setpoint?
                      Thanks
                      alot of this is physiological but much of it is also psychological. Studies have found that it can take weeks and even months to properly recover from a diet that includes your appetite regulation. What you DO NOT want to do is gorge yourself post contest. Basically I take whatever number of carbohydrates I was eating during my contest and I add 75 to that, with my protein starting at 225 and my fat starting at 60. once my weight stabalizes I add another 25g of carbs and wait til my weight stabalizes. Then I add 25g of carbs again , and keep repeating, this way you add weight slowly so you don't overshoot your bodyfat setpoint.

-Layne
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Hey Layne, I am carb and sugar sensitive.....Is it true that you need to take Creatine Mono with a simple sugar? Also I am following **** *******'s diet which pretty much restricts from simple sugars during cutting.....How would I take it? Could it work with a small amount of Waxy Maize?

Comment

• no you don't need sugar
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Layne, I know you have probably been asked this before. Have you ever thought about getting on the juice, and why have you decided to stay natural? Arenít you curious how you would look with your genetics on gear?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lynch View Post
                              Layne, I know you have probably been asked this before. Have you ever thought about getting on the juice, and why have you decided to stay natural? Arenít you curious how you would look with your genetics on gear?
                              Lynch,

Layne gave a very thorough answer to this very early in this thread (I believe it is on page 3 or 4, or right around there).

Comment

• Originally posted by Bottom Gun View Post
                                Lynch,

Layne gave a very thorough answer to this very early in this thread (I believe it is on page 3 or 4, or right around there).
                                Thanks, I read Layne's response. But still I know that Layne has thought about it and wonders what the results would be from using gear.

Comment

Working...
                                X