Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Layne, I looked around and didn't see this question but it has to do with water intake as you near a contest.

I was looking through some other threads on Natty BB, which I am, and was wondering what you thought on water depletion as a contest gets nearer. Some guys cut it out while others seem to keep it in based on the idea that much of the muscle is water and depleting will be both detrimental health wise and also not have the muscles in fullest form.

Just curious as I plan on stepping on stage in October and need to put some plan of attack together.

Thanks
    Jeremy

Comment

• Originally posted by AzDrugFree View Post
      Obviously I am not Layne...but in the article it says:

Cardiology that they've documented a link between heavy lifting and torn aortas—the heart's main artery—in young, healthy patients who had previously undiagnosed aneurysms, or enlargement of the aorta.

In the same light as someone with serious kidney issues consuming high protein diet. You have an underlying issue...dont do something that will aggravate or exacerbate.

I just hate how they presented the article to be anti weight lifting, like if you lift heavy weights for say in the 4-6 rep range you need to worry about ripping arteries and giving yourself a heart attack, when in reality you are strengthing your cardiovascular system and strengthing your cardiac output. I see it all the time and read it alot about how weight lifting is bad for your heart. It's only now they are coming out with studies that are saying weight lifting should be part of everyones routine and even for heart attack patients.

Comment

• Any opinion on D-aspartic acid in regards to how it increases LH and test levels? And the effect size of any significant findings.

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by shortstack74 View Post
          Hey Layne, I looked around and didn't see this question but it has to do with water intake as you near a contest.

I was looking through some other threads on Natty BB, which I am, and was wondering what you thought on water depletion as a contest gets nearer. Some guys cut it out while others seem to keep it in based on the idea that much of the muscle is water and depleting will be both detrimental health wise and also not have the muscles in fullest form.

Just curious as I plan on stepping on stage in October and need to put some plan of attack together.

Thanks
          Jeremy
          you're kidding right? I've written about this at least a two dozen times on this message board and I wrote a 3 part series in MD about this very subject. I've also written several online articles regarding it

In short, cutting water/sodium is bullshit
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by pumped340 View Post
            When they correct for fiber/fat content.....but considering meat would have the fat and whatever does the mean lead to colon cancer? I mean correlation doesn't show causation but maybe there's something else besides the protein in the meat that does lead to cancer?
            one other factor, if you char the meat the charred portions have polyaromatic hydrocarbons which are carcinogenic. So don't eat burnt meat
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Saternal View Post
              Layne,

Is it important to time carb intake while on a bulk if i'm someone who puts on weight fast.
              yes
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by pumped340 View Post
                Any opinion on D-aspartic acid in regards to how it increases LH and test levels? And the effect size of any significant findings.

Thanks!
                seems to be very scientifically valid and initial anecdotal reports are quite good
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                  you're kidding right? I've written about this at least a two dozen times on this message board and I wrote a 3 part series in MD about this very subject. I've also written several online articles regarding it

In short, cutting water/sodium is bullshit
                  Thanks Layne, I looked through like 50-60 pages on here and just said screw it.haha I'll do some more searching and check out your articles.
                  Jeremy

Comment

• Do you have studies on eating eggs raw vs cooked? I have heard numerous times cooked absorbs better, but what I'd realy like to see is if blending the raw eggs changes this? The consistancy goes from thick gooey slime to actual liquid... Not sure if it matters. Also would it matter if it were whole raw eggs vs raw egg whites???
                    PanterA is a fictional character for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• CONGRATS ON YOUR GRADUATION BRO, YOUR HARD WORK KEEPS PAYING OFF!

Comment

• Originally posted by PanterA View Post
                        Do you have studies on eating eggs raw vs cooked? I have heard numerous times cooked absorbs better, but what I'd realy like to see is if blending the raw eggs changes this? The consistancy goes from thick gooey slime to actual liquid... Not sure if it matters. Also would it matter if it were whole raw eggs vs raw egg whites???
                        no it must be cooked. cooking it changes the protein structure to make it more bioavailable
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by shortstack74 View Post
                          Thanks Layne, I looked through like 50-60 pages on here and just said screw it.haha I'll do some more searching and check out your articles.
                          Jeremy
                          search 'Layne water sodium carbs'

you'll get hits
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                            no it must be cooked. cooking it changes the protein structure to make it more bioavailable
                            I've heard that the reason this happens is because cooking it denatures the protein, which blending does as well. So blending doesn't do this?

Comment

• Dr. Scott Connelly and Carbs

Hi Layne, I recently have been using Dr. Scott Connelly's line of progenex products and in the process emailed him if I should be using carbs with the shakes after a weight training bout. He said without uncertainty, there has never been a study published showing carbs has any influence or benefit in the protein synthesis of new muscle tissue. I already know your take on this, therefore, I'm wondering what your response would be to someone making this statement who clearly is an expert in this field as well as yourself.

Comment

• Hey Layne,

I've been seeing an endocrinologist lately because it appears I may be suffering from secondary hypogonadism (failure of pituitary gland to produce proper hormones). I'm getting and MRI soon to see if its caused by a tumor on the gland itself. The treatment is typically human Chorionic Gonadotropin and Testosterone injections. Does this mean I can never compete in a natural show if I have to take these drugs? This is really a bind for me because my test, LH, and FSH levels are all way below normal range and I want to be healthy and all, but how does this effect eligibility for natural contests?

Comment

Working...
                                X