Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David1991 View Post
    Hey Layne, if I was trying to do HIIT before my first meal of the day (so I could eat right before going to work), what would you take before doing the intervals?
    at the very least some BCAAs and quick carbs
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
      yes it's legal. it's just an amino acid. I do not ever see it getting banned
      Thank you, sir!

Comment

carbs alone have never been shown to increase protein synthesis (although our lab now has data showing that although they don't initiate the meal response of protein synthesis, they can prolong it), but when you combine carbs with protein you get a slightly better response than protein alone
        Better how? (Since you said it doesn't increase protein synthesis).

Thanks

Comment

• Layne, why would somebody use the "Malate" form of amino acids, especailly leucine (Leucine Malate)?

With the "Malate" form of aminos wouldn't you see a decrease in the M-Tor kinase pathway signaling, along with a decreased insulin response?

Comment

• Layne,

I have been buying Fish Oil from Wal-Greens and was wondering if you think the quality is still good...Thanks

Comment

• Layne,
              Do BCAA's need to be fully dissolved in liquid to be effectively absorbed?
              Thanks

Comment

first off you need to worry about your health, competing is 2ndary.

Some natural orgs will allow you to be on HRT so long as you get regular blood testing to show your testosterone levels are still in the normal range. I would email the organizations, explain your situation and see what their response is
                Thanks for the response Layne, I agree that health is first and foremost. It appears that I should be okay for natural competitions down the road as long as I provide medical documentation of the condition and blood work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ribnof View Post
                  Layne,
                  Thanks
                  I recall from his FAQ document that it doesn't matter either way; some people actually just scoop them dry into their mouths, it'll go down regardless.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Sleep View Post
                    Thanks for the response Layne, I agree that health is first and foremost. It appears that I should be okay for natural competitions down the road as long as I provide medical documentation of the condition and blood work.
                    depends on the org, apparently OCB has now banned HRT
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by David1991 View Post
                      Better how? (Since you said it doesn't increase protein synthesis).

Thanks
                      you get a slightly better protein synthesis response when you combine carbs + amino acids, though carbs don't do it by themselves. IT seems you get a synergistic effect
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Ribnof View Post
                        Layne,
                        Thanks
                        gonna get dissolved during digestion one way or another
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Hey Layne, big fan of your articles. Was hoping you might be able to help me out. I'm really sorry if you've answered this somewhere else already.

I'm about 160 pounds and probably around 12.5 - 13% bodyfat, and have been trying to make an outline of a program for the next 18 weeks (ending at the start of summer over here in Aus)

I've been thinking about doing a
                          6 Weeks 500 calorie surplus
                          2 Weeks 500 calorie deficit

After this I will analyse where I am at, if going well then

4 weeks 500 calorie surplus
                          6 week 500 calorie deficit

My end goal is to gain muscle mass, and start summer with relatively low bodyfat (thinking around 7 - 8%) so I can start seeing good definition.

What do you think of the above idea? I'm not competing in any contests

Still trying to work out what kind of macronutrient ratio I will try using, but right now I was wondering about supplement timing.

I've been thinking

Breakfast
                          - Protein Shake

Morning
                          - 5g BCAA

Lunch (1-2 hours pre workout)

20 min Pre Workout (1/2)
                          - 15g Dextrose/maltodextrin

Immediately Pre Workout
                          - 5g BCAA

Post Workout
                          - 25g Whey Protein (cont 5g BCAA)
                          - 5g BCAA (so total of 10g BCAA)
                          - 30g Dextrose/Maltodextrin
                          - 5g Creatine

Dinner

Between Dinner and Bed
                          - 5g BCAA

Before Bed
                          - Casein Protein

(The list above are just the supplements, will be eating normal meals aswel)

I'm sorry it's such a long post, but I've read your answers to other questions and seems like you like to want know a decent amount of detail before you answer. I'm really just wondering if you think it sounds ok?

Your opinion is GREATLY appreciated

Thanks in advance

Comment

• Originally posted by NoBeer View Post
                            Hey Layne, big fan of your articles. Was hoping you might be able to help me out. I'm really sorry if you've answered this somewhere else already.

I'm about 160 pounds and probably around 12.5 - 13% bodyfat, and have been trying to make an outline of a program for the next 18 weeks (ending at the start of summer over here in Aus)

I've been thinking about doing a
                            6 Weeks 500 calorie surplus
                            2 Weeks 500 calorie deficit

After this I will analyse where I am at, if going well then

4 weeks 500 calorie surplus
                            6 week 500 calorie deficit

My end goal is to gain muscle mass, and start summer with relatively low bodyfat (thinking around 7 - 8%) so I can start seeing good definition.

What do you think of the above idea? I'm not competing in any contests

Still trying to work out what kind of macronutrient ratio I will try using, but right now I was wondering about supplement timing.

I've been thinking

Breakfast
                            - Protein Shake

Morning
                            - 5g BCAA

Lunch (1-2 hours pre workout)

20 min Pre Workout (1/2)
                            - 15g Dextrose/maltodextrin

Immediately Pre Workout
                            - 5g BCAA

Post Workout
                            - 25g Whey Protein (cont 5g BCAA)
                            - 5g BCAA (so total of 10g BCAA)
                            - 30g Dextrose/Maltodextrin
                            - 5g Creatine

Dinner

Between Dinner and Bed
                            - 5g BCAA

Before Bed
                            - Casein Protein

(The list above are just the supplements, will be eating normal meals aswel)

I'm sorry it's such a long post, but I've read your answers to other questions and seems like you like to want know a decent amount of detail before you answer. I'm really just wondering if you think it sounds ok?

Your opinion is GREATLY appreciated

Thanks in advance
                            have you watched my webcast? a lot of the info you are looking for is in there
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

have you watched my webcast? a lot of the info you are looking for is in there
                              Yeah I have (great info on there btw). I'm pretty happy with my plan and based it of what I've hear/read from you.

I know there's a lot of factors that you can't take into account over these forums, but was just hoping for a bit of a nod of approval that I was heading in the right direction

Sorry, one more thing. You've said that you don't always train to failure on hypertrophy days. I was wondering how you judge when to go to failure and when not to?

Comment

• Hey Layne, I just finished watching one your old team norton vids on bbing.com and you mentioned having buldging disk issues. I have been in the gym training again after some time in therapy for a C7 budgling disk and was wondering if you had any insight on progressing in the gym with this type of issue. I have been reading up on your PHAT training and would like to give it a shot but honestly a lil worried about squatting and deadlifting again. I know i'm being a girl but I just wondered what your experience was like in this area. Thanks Doc!

Comment

Working...
                                X