Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Layne

http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...d=1#post140564
    I'd like to hear your comments on this.
    Enjoying the awesomeness of the pumptitude as an end in itself

Comment

• body octane has to be taken on offdays because, similar to creatine, you want to keep muscle carnosine levels saturated.

I wouldn't bother supplementing with Taurine as I believe supplementation has not been shown to raise muscle cell levels of taurine.

Lynch,
      I suppose we have all thought about it at some point but have I seriously considered it? No. I have done very well without it and to me the risks (health, legal, emotional, and monetary) associated with it simply outweigh the possible benefits. I all kinds of bodybuilding, tested and untested and you'll see me attend both and very rarely will I criticize someone on steroids, unless they use them as a crutch for poor training and diet.

As far as fantasizing what I would look like on the sauce; everyone responds to steroids differently, some respond very well, others not so well; so I guess I could end up at the national/pro level or I could very easily end up being a regional competitor. That's why I like natural bodybuilding, sure genetics come into play; but it's not about the amount of hormones you take and how you respond to them, it's about you and you alone. In the end I do this to compete against myself; to try and ascend to the next level. That is what keeps me pushing myself harder in the gym everyday.

-Layne
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Layne, what supplements do you take?

Comment

• well the only ones i take religously are a multi, creatine, protein powder, BCAAs, fish oil, glucosamine, and an anti-oxidant
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
            well the only ones i take religously are a multi, creatine, protein powder, BCAAs, fish oil, glucosamine, and an anti-oxidant
            Do you think creatine is creatine, or do you prefer a specific brand?

Comment

• well i'm sponsored by primaforce/scivation so i use the primaforce brand but they have an independant lab test their stuff so I trust them.

as far as CEE vs. CM vs. all the other kinds... monohydrate. Period
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• jay robb

layne did you read jay robbs new article in natural bodybuilding about fruit and gi very interesting,check it out if you get time

Comment

• Jay writes a lot of interesting stuff and doesn't back any of it up. I usually don't bother reading that column.
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Cardio

Layne,

Since you obviously know a lot about conditioning I'd like to get your opinion on how to perform cardio. My main goal (currently), as I mentioned before, is to cut bodyfat.

Should cardio be performed at low intensity or high intensity? I see **** *******'s recommendations for long duration (45-90 mins), low intensity cardio on these boards a lot. However, if I read the fitness magazines (vice the bb'ing ones), they recommend doing short duration intervals (1 minute 90-95% max HR with 1-2 minutes rest between intervals, and 5-10 intervals).

I am also curious how you recommend calculating max HR? The most common method is to subtract your age from 220 and take a percentage of that number. I have a friend who is a triathlete who swears that finding your resting HR and using Karvonen's Methodis more accurate since it takes into account individual variances and heart health rather than just a generic one size fits all calculation?

Thanks for your time and opinions.

Comment

• check out the cardio section of my article http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

HIIT is really the way to go, high intensity cardio causes long term metabolic adaptations that enable you to increase your capacity to burn fat even when you are just resting
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

check out the cardio section of my article http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

HIIT is really the way to go, high intensity cardio causes long term metabolic adaptations that enable you to increase your capacity to burn fat even when you are just resting
                        Thanks for the reference. I read through it once, but am definitely going to have to read through it again, probably a couple of more times to understand all the terms you use. So I far I understand High intensity interval training is good, and use it on non weight lifting days. (Is that part at least right? Sorry, I'm kind of new to even considering nutrition important. I always just thought calories in - calories out = deficit = fat loss)

Comment

• that's absolutely correct. Essentially high intensity exercise does 3 things that low intensity does not

1) it keeps your metabolic rate elevated for a longer period post cardio
                          2) it increases your mitochondrial production (mitochondria are the organelles in the cell where fat oxidation occurs)
                          3) it increases the activity of the enzymes in the mitochondria.

so because of 2 & 3 you actually increase your CAPACITY to burn fat, as well as the rate at which you burn fat; even at rest.

-Layne
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Omega 3 and 6

Hi Layne

I currently take capsules that are 500mg omega 3(salmon oil) and 500mg omega 6(evening primrose oil), and I was wandering if there was any need for the omega 6, and if there is any particular ratio that you should be having the different omegas in?

What is your view on wheat bran and cinnamon? I add about half a cup of wheat bran and half a table spoon of cinnamon to my breakfast cereal... anything bad with that?

Thanks for the help
                            Mike

Comment

• omega 6 is very prevalent in the diet and may be pro-inflammatory, not sure if there is much need to supplement with it as if you eat meat you are most likely getting plenty. The ratio you want in your diet is 4:1 of omega 6:3. Most americans get 10:1
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

that's absolutely correct. Essentially high intensity exercise does 3 things that low intensity does not

1) it keeps your metabolic rate elevated for a longer period post cardio
                                2) it increases your mitochondrial production (mitochondria are the organelles in the cell where fat oxidation occurs)
                                3) it increases the activity of the enzymes in the mitochondria.

so because of 2 & 3 you actually increase your CAPACITY to burn fat, as well as the rate at which you burn fat; even at rest.

-Layne
                                Thanks for breaking it down for me. I am a little lacking in my understanding of the bio sciences having focused my formal education time on my major - applied math. I'm just starting to take some of the general ed courses.

Comment

Working...
                                X