Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layne,
    what do you think about “eating too much food at once will make you fat”?

and

why do you increase your meal frequency when you get closer to the contest?

Comment

• congrats on your show layne.
      i just competed in a natural show in the teenage division and although it was clear that a few of the guys were juicing i did pretty well in upper body mass but my legs were lagging pretty badly. could you give me a sample leg routine for developing some mass because its pretty clear iv been doing it all wrong. my leg routine consists of
      leg press 3 sets of 12-20
      smith squats 3 sets of 10-20
      extensions 3 sets of 15-20 with drop sets
      lying leg curls and standing leg curls 3 sets each of 10-20

Comment

• why do you think it was obvious they were juicing?
        BioLayne LLC
        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by got_muscle View Post
          Layne,
          what do you think about “eating too much food at once will make you fat”?

and

why do you increase your meal frequency when you get closer to the contest?
          well, it's pretty simple dude, if you eat too much, you store more bodyfat, not sure how to break it down more than that.

I don't increase meal frequency when i get closer to a show. have you been reading this thread?
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by lukebui007 View Post
            Layne,

What are your thoughts on caffeine as a pre-workout supplement? I have heard that caffeine is a vasoconstrictor and might actually inhibit the pump you would get while training.
            Also what is the maximum amount of caffeine you think it is safe to consume each day?

Thanks alot
            it's a slight constrictor but i doubt it impairs gains. how much caffiene per day is very individual, it very much depends on how fast you metabolize it and how sensitive you are to it. For some people any caffiene is not good, for others moderate/high amounts of caffiene actually have a protective and healthy effect; it's just very much an individual metabolic profile difference
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
              it's a slight constrictor but i doubt it impairs gains. how much caffiene per day is very individual, it very much depends on how fast you metabolize it and how sensitive you are to it. For some people any caffiene is not good, for others moderate/high amounts of caffiene actually have a protective and healthy effect; it's just very much an individual metabolic profile difference
              Even after not having coffee for a long time I seem to get no effect from having as much as 4 cups of coffee as once. I may feel slightly more awake while drinking it (which only takes a few minutes) but that wouldn't be the caffeine, likely just from drinking something and getting up to make it. The only effect I ever (sometimes) notice is that I wake up earlier the next morning, sometimes not getting sufficient sleep (but have no issue falling asleep the night before). How could you explain that?

Thanks

Comment

• i guy i know trained at the gym with the guy that finnished third and knew for a fact that he was on roids since he was 16 (he was 19) and considering the top 2 were even bigger i thought it was safe to assume so. what others do doesnt matter to me though i just realised i need much bigger legs to be competitive so i thought id ask you for advice on a good leg routine

Comment

• Originally posted by geordz View Post
                  i guy i know trained at the gym with the guy that finnished third and knew for a fact that he was on roids since he was 16 (he was 19) and considering the top 2 were even bigger i thought it was safe to assume so. what others do doesnt matter to me though i just realised i need much bigger legs to be competitive so i thought id ask you for advice on a good leg routine
                  how did they drug test?

I would look into my power hypertrophy training, it's what helped bring my legs up
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Originally posted by pumped340 View Post
                    Even after not having coffee for a long time I seem to get no effect from having as much as 4 cups of coffee as once. I may feel slightly more awake while drinking it (which only takes a few minutes) but that wouldn't be the caffeine, likely just from drinking something and getting up to make it. The only effect I ever (sometimes) notice is that I wake up earlier the next morning, sometimes not getting sufficient sleep (but have no issue falling asleep the night before). How could you explain that?

Thanks
                    like i said, you probably aren't very sensitive to it, or you metabolize it quickly, or both
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                      like i said, you probably aren't very sensitive to it, or you metabolize it quickly, or both
                      I guess so, it kinda sucks lol. Any reason why I would wake up earlier/too early the next morning though? That's happened multiple times

Comment

• could be numerous things
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• 1- Do you still advocate your methods here: http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-...l-revelia.html or have they changed?
                          2- If someone were to start doing the workout in the above link, how would you tweak it from there? I'm assuming you use it as a baseline then adjust? Since we are doing it on our own, what types of things do you look for? (like if you are stalling on an exercise and not getting more reps or adding weight... do you lower reps/sets or what?) maybe this is too much detail
                          3- I want to buy a calf machine so I can hit them 2x per week on off days. What machine do you believe has done the most for your calfs? what kinda calf routine do you do? (mine haven't budged in 2 years so I'm going to hit them with mega volume since I haven't tried that yet)

thanks!

Comment

• Hey Layne Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions still while prepping for your show.
                            I am currenty dieting down to look lean for a cruise. It;s 9 weeks away, I;m about 15-18% BF and I definetely dont need to be shredded. I'm following your training program so workign out 5 times per week and for diet I;m doing carb/calorie cycling.....
                            On workout days 400 cals 6 times per day (2400) and non workout days 300 cals 6 times per day (1800-2000); Starting with 30-40 grams of protein per meal.
                            My question is: I have heard it may be better to do the higher cal day on off days and lower cal days on training days (let food rev the metabolism on off days and training rev on trainign days)
                            What do you think?
                            And any other suggestions for training or iet throm em at me
                            Good luck with everything and thanks again

Comment

• diddnt see any drug testing whatsoever

Comment

• How you loaded carbs your last contest? I remember that you've said loading beginning of the week. That leaves you time to react if something doesn't work?

Comment

Working...
                                X