Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sorry if this has been answered but in your routine, do you ramp up the 5x5 or keep it all the same weight? What day to do abs?

Comment

• Layne, do you know if GHRP 6 is banned in the natural game and do you know any fellow naturals that have tried this? from what I can see it isn't banned in the natural game, however you will obviously know more than me! Thanks.

Comment

• Hey layne. So is there a specific reason why you recommend taking beta alanine 1.5 grams/4 times a day? I've been taking it that way, but would preferably like to take 3 grams in the morning and 3 grams pre-workout. Would this make a difference? thanks in advanced.

Comment

• Layne, I understand you take glucosamine supplements?

I just came across an interesting study and I'm wondering what you make of it,

M. Lafontaine-Lacasse, G. Dore, F. Picard. Hexosamines stimulate apoptosis by altering Sirt1 action and levels in rodent pancreatic β-cells. Journal of Endocrinology, 2010

Abstract

The activity and levels of Sirt1, which promotes cell survival in several models, are linked to glucose concentrations and cellular energy metabolism. The present study aimed at determining whether impaired Sirt1 activity is involved in the induction of apoptosis by the nutrient-sensing hexosamine biosynthesis pathway (HBP). Pancreatic Nit-1, Rinf-m5F and Min6 β-cells were acutely treated at different doses and times with glucosamine, which directly enters and stimulates the HBP. Sirt1 levels were genetically modulated by retroviral infection. Expression levels, cellular localization, and activity of apoptosis-related markers were determined by qPCR, immunoblotting and co-immunoprecipitation. Glucosamine dose- and time-dependently induced cell apoptosis in all cell lines studied. HBP stimulation time-dependently modified Sirt1 protein levels, notably in the cytoplasm. This was concomitant with increased E2F1 binding to the c-myc promoter. In both NIT-1 and min6 β-cells, genetic knockdown of Sirt1 expression resulted in higher susceptibility to HBP-stimulated apoptosis, whereas overexpression of Sirt1 had the opposite impact. These findings indicate that reduction of Sirt1 levels by hexosamines contributes to β-cell apoptosis. Methods to increase Sirt1 levels or activity could thus prevent the decrease in β-cell mass, notably that observed in type 2 diabetes.
          Here's the dumbed down version I came across

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1027111349.htm

They said

In our experiments, we used doses five to ten times higher than that recommended by most manufacturers, or 1,500 mg/day
          Previous studies showed that a significant proportion of glucosamine users up the dose hoping to increase the effects
          I had a quick look at some sups and it seems like a few have levels around that range.

It would be interesting to know what you make of it

Comment

• so you are taking data from cell lines where there are applying high levels of glucosamine directly to the cell and trying to extrapolate that into how it would work in a person...

good luck with that
            BioLayne LLC
            PhD, Nutritional Sciences
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Layne,

Why is it many people now are saying you should space out antioxidants on the days you train such as first of all keeping Vitamin C dose below 2,000mg. Some study said over wasn't beneficial and keep all antioxidants 4-5 hours away from pre-workout and post-workout. Do you any of this?

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                so you are taking data from cell lines where there are applying high levels of glucosamine directly to the cell and trying to extrapolate that into how it would work in a person...

good luck with that
                I'm no scientist, that's why I was wondering your opinion.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by NoBeer View Post
                  I'm no scientist, that's why I was wondering your opinion.

Thanks
                  i know, my point being it's not really worth trying to apply that, I kind of tried to be cheeky but I guess it didn't work lol

hey guys, just finished up a new interview you guys might like it http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bodybuildinglounge/2010/10/28/no-holds-
                  BioLayne LLC
                  PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Bro, do you ever stop? LOL. Seriously, I can't even keep up with reading your posts or listening to all your radio interviews let along thinking about trying to do all of that.

Impressive bro! .... BTW...2 more weeks!
                    TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
                    www.fitcorps.net

Comment

• congrats on the pro win, crazy conditioning.

with your betaine hcl supplementation, did you take it because you had the Heidelberg Capsule Test and was diagnosed as having low acid levels or are you taking it because as ive read supplementation helps to raise back up acid level to break down protein better, and the bhcl helps to remove acid waste from tissue. most of the dosing on the internet is quite varied due to the liability of recomendations, what dose do you use for just knowing the ballpark dose.

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                        i know, my point being it's not really worth trying to apply that, I kind of tried to be cheeky but I guess it didn't work lol

hey guys, just finished up a new interview you guys might like it http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bodybuildinglounge/2010/10/28/no-holds-
                        oops, my bad. I'm not that great at interpreting internet cheeky haha.

One more thing I've been wondering lately,

Low rep ranges (under 5) have been shown to produce the greatest strength gains, while moderate rep ranges (6-12) have been shown to produce the greatest hypertrophy.

I've been wondering how low reps can produce greater gains in strength but less hypertrophy? My understanding has been that neurological adaptions occur rapidly in the beginner stages of training, but then hypertrophy is the more dominant change after you've been training for longer. Are a lot of the strength gains from low reps still neurological adaption? or am I missing something here

I know it's important to incorporate a variety of rep ranges in workout programs, and that each have their merits. Just curious

Comment

• Layne,

I know you have mentioned earlier in this thread that DAA is the only natural test booster that actually works. I really want to try it out, but have been reading about aspartic acid being an excitotoxin, and the recommended dosing of DAA seems as though it could be quite dangerous.

Just wondering if you have any thoughts on the validity of this, whether or not you agree or don't agree.

Also, have you tried DAA yourself?

Comment

• I'm about to try your power/hypertrophy split for the first time and I've been doing a ton of research. The only thing I can't seem to figure out is the effort level used on individual sets.

Typically I've always done reverse pyramid.
                            For example, if I did 3 sets of 8 reps on squats, I'd do:
                            315x8
                            300x8
                            290x8
                            on each set I could only do 8 reps, if I tried for a 9th I would totally fail

how do you do this on your power days?
                            hypertrophy days I know you said to leave 1-2 reps in the hole on most sets

thanks a lot!

Comment

• Hey Layne just a quick diet question for you. I was just listening to your interview on iron radio where you talked a lot about Leucine and you talked about how you eat 4 times a day with a shake in the middle of the night. It all seems to make sense to me. So here is my question, how do you organize meals around your workout? Do you still eat a post workout meal like a shake or just wait so you are eating every 4 hours? Also I am new to competition, a personal trainer, and in my senior year in the Kinesiology program at Western Washington University. I am really interested in nutrition as well as functional movement. Is there anything you would recommend I read to kinda figure out where I want to go to school next I am leaning toward physical therapy but bodybuilding is opening up more interests for me. Thanks again Layne and you looked awesome for your pro shows you are truly an inspiration to me.

Comment

• Hey Layne

Really enjoyed your interview with MassMuscle tv. I had a question about the occlusion training article written by Jeremy. When you are wrapping the leg straps do you use the total wrap say around the upper thigh or just wrap it around once or twice and let the rest hang. It says you dont want total occlusion so would the same tension that you normally wrap your knees for a squat be ok for the occlusion training or should it be tighter than that?

Comment

Working...
                                X