Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i wrap it all the way around, pretty snug. if it's not the most painful training you've ever done, they probably aren't tight enough
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Hey Layne, I remember you saying in your dvd that you did a program called small ops, where you hit squats 3x a week and I've tried looking it up to find any background info, but no luck. Could you post a link or give a brief explanation please?

Comment

• smolov. not small opps lol
        BioLayne LLC
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
          smolov. not small opps lol
          haha My bad and thank you

Comment

• Hey Layne

I'm not writing this up as a complaint or anything, I'm real just wondering how it's possible.

I've read numerous times that if someone just gains weight without any training they will gain some fat and some lean body mass, with the leaner you are the more will be LBM. So someone with 30% bf who gains 10lb just from eating more and not working out may gain like 7-8lb of fat and 2-3lb of lbm.

In the last 2 months I've gained 6lb, over an inch on my waistline and no increase in muscular measurements. Training has definitely not been optimal during this time but I was still working out hard 2x/week and sleep/stress was only really bad for about 2 weeks of that time. Strength on most exercises did not go up much but front squats and romanian deadlifts went up as did a few other exercises. As mentioned I certainly wouldn't expect great results but 6lb for 1in is basically what I consider great when losing weight (i.e if I lose 6lb and 1in off my waist it's almost definitely mostly fat in most cases), well I gained more than that on my waist for 6lb gained. How is it possible that someone with moderate body fat, working out 2x/week and eating a very healthy diet could possible gain basically 100% body fat? It seems so off base from what would generally be expected and I'd be interested if there was any good reason.

Thanks

Comment

• Hey Layne -

What do you think of the "eating only when you are hungry (but with preset macros for each meal)" ala phil hernon?

here's the cliffs:
              have same macros for each meal
              just let body tell u when to eat them and how many to eat
              ex- leg day not that hungry but day after is starving so you will eat more meals the day after leg day (if you're body works like this and you are hungry the day after legs)

here's a blurb about it:nderstand you think your low carb day should be on your off day and high carb day on leg day. i thought that way too. it makes sense logically. BUT, the body is not so logical. when i changed to eating when hungry and simply ate a diet consisting of a good macro ratio i realized the day AFTER leg training i was the hungriest and wanted more meals (thus resulting in more carbs at end of the day) and i grew and got lean better IMO.
              the body grows in surges from my experience. depending on stress and quality of workout and a million other factors. eating when hungry with a good SET macro ratio (meaning i eat same amount of pro/carbs/fats every meal) is FAR easier than fooling with cycling and my body seems to cycle itself. sometimes i reat 5 meals sometimes 10 all depending on how lean i am and what phase of training i am in and waht bodyparts i trained etc.
              something to think about...

MY diet is to eat only when hungry........it does not mean starve........if you are hungry after a meal, have 5-6 TBS LBAs with glass of water........if in 20 minutes you are still hungry, then eat a meal.

Comment

• Layne,

Still doing a lot of research on occlusion training, I have searched through your forums and dont think you have answered this yet and if you have sorry for asking it again. As far as doing occluded cardio how would you plan your sessions/intensity intervals and being that it does tax your legs how would you schedule occluded cardio around your leg days or did you not really see that as an issue?

Comment

• Originally posted by BULK_CITY View Post
                  Hey Layne -

What do you think of the "eating only when you are hungry (but with preset macros for each meal)" ala phil hernon?

here's the cliffs:
                  have same macros for each meal
                  just let body tell u when to eat them and how many to eat
                  ex- leg day not that hungry but day after is starving so you will eat more meals the day after leg day (if you're body works like this and you are hungry the day after legs)

here's a blurb about it:nderstand you think your low carb day should be on your off day and high carb day on leg day. i thought that way too. it makes sense logically. BUT, the body is not so logical. when i changed to eating when hungry and simply ate a diet consisting of a good macro ratio i realized the day AFTER leg training i was the hungriest and wanted more meals (thus resulting in more carbs at end of the day) and i grew and got lean better IMO.
                  the body grows in surges from my experience. depending on stress and quality of workout and a million other factors. eating when hungry with a good SET macro ratio (meaning i eat same amount of pro/carbs/fats every meal) is FAR easier than fooling with cycling and my body seems to cycle itself. sometimes i reat 5 meals sometimes 10 all depending on how lean i am and what phase of training i am in and waht bodyparts i trained etc.
                  something to think about...

MY diet is to eat only when hungry........it does not mean starve........if you are hungry after a meal, have 5-6 TBS LBAs with glass of water........if in 20 minutes you are still hungry, then eat a meal.
                  I think this is not a good plan personally. Hunger doesn't necessarily tied to what your body 'needs' if that was the case 40% of america wouldn't be obese. There are a LOT more factors than just physiological that go into feeling 'hungry' such as psycological, emotional, and sociological aspects that people don't consider. Additionally, using hunger to gauge what your body 'needs' almost ensures that you are on a roller coaster of eating. For example, let's say one day you feel less hungry so you eat less. It is very likely the next day you will feel more hungry because you ate less the day before. Then you will continue to go up and down. It's not that your body is telling you it needs less or more, it's that your body is reacting to you fluctuating your food intake. If you eat at a constant level over time your body will self regulate and you will find you are hungry/full to the extremes less often.

But mostly because of all the non-physiological factors that go into driving hunger are a big reason why I think it is foolish to chase hunger as an outcome determinant.
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Hi Layne, I got hold of your DVD, just watched it last night. Pretty cool and a nice change to watch an educational BB'ing DVD that applies to me (I'm a lifelong natural too). I like your work ethic, intensity and your training ideas.
                    What do you think are the best foods for a natural, vegetarian lifter? I eat very little meat and don't have a big appetite at all. I love veg, fruits, salads etc but realise it's hard for me to hit bigger daily caloric intakes because I don't eat steak, pork, lamb (I eat a little chicken every now & then). Also, what supplement combo would you suggest in terms of training for size and strength ($$$ not an issue / problem). I also posted this in your Q&A section, thanks in advance

Comment

• Hey Layne, I was just diagnosed with ulcerative proctitis/colitis. Any idea how that would affect bodybuilding goals?

Comment

• Originally posted by bigjimsty View Post
                        Hi Layne, I got hold of your DVD, just watched it last night. Pretty cool and a nice change to watch an educational BB'ing DVD that applies to me (I'm a lifelong natural too). I like your work ethic, intensity and your training ideas.
                        What do you think are the best foods for a natural, vegetarian lifter? I eat very little meat and don't have a big appetite at all. I love veg, fruits, salads etc but realise it's hard for me to hit bigger daily caloric intakes because I don't eat steak, pork, lamb (I eat a little chicken every now & then). Also, what supplement combo would you suggest in terms of training for size and strength ($$$ not an issue / problem). I also posted this in your Q&A section, thanks in advance
                        why don't you eat meat?
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by David1991 View Post
                          Hey Layne, I was just diagnosed with ulcerative proctitis/colitis. Any idea how that would affect bodybuilding goals?
                          http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne38.htm
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                            Thanks but how does that relate to ulcerative proctitis/colitis?

Comment

• i believe I covered UC in that article?
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• hey layne. Have you seen the study below, and if so, what do you think of it? I'm surprised the findings rated a PLOS publication, but then again this is not my area.

Low-Load High Volume Resistance Exercise Stimulates
                                Muscle Protein Synthesis More Than High-Load Low
                                Volume Resistance Exercise in Young Men
                                Nicholas A. Burd
                                1, Daniel W. D. West1, Aaron W. Staples1, Philip J. Atherton2, Jeff M. Baker1, Daniel R.
                                Moore
                                1, Andrew M. Holwerda1, Gianni Parise1,3, Michael J. Rennie2, Steven K. Baker4, Stuart M. Phillips1*

Exercise Metabolism Research Group, Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, 2 School of Graduate Entry Medicine and Health, City
                                Hospital, University of Nottingham, Derby, United Kingdom,
                                3 Department of Medical Physics and Applied Radiation Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario,
                                Canada,
                                4 Department of Neurology, Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Abstract
                                Background:
                                We aimed to determine the effect of resistance exercise intensity (% 1 repetition maximumó1RM) and
                                volume on muscle protein synthesis, anabolic signaling, and myogenic gene expression.

Methodology/Principal Findings:
                                Fifteen men (2161 years; BMI = 24.160.8 kg/m2) performed 4 sets of unilateral leg
                                extension exercise at different exercise loads and/or volumes: 90% of repetition maximum (1RM) until volitional failure
                                (90FAIL), 30% 1RM work-matched to 90%FAIL (30WM), or 30% 1RM performed until volitional failure (30FAIL). Infusion of
                                [
                                ring-13C6] phenylalanine with biopsies was used to measure rates of mixed (MIX), myofibrillar (MYO), and sarcoplasmic
                                (SARC) protein synthesis at rest, and 4 h and 24 h after exercise. Exercise at 30WM induced a significant increase above rest
                                in MIX (121%) and MYO (87%) protein synthesis at 4 h post-exercise and but at 24 h in the MIX only. The increase in the rate
                                of protein synthesis in MIX and MYO at 4 h post-exercise with 90FAIL and 30FAIL was greater than 30WM, with no
                                difference between these conditions; however, MYO remained elevated (199%) above rest at 24 h only in 30FAIL. There was
                                a significant increase in Akt
                                Ser473 at 24h in all conditions (P = 0.023) and mTORSer2448 phosphorylation at 4 h post-exercise
                                (P = 0.025). Phosporylation of Erk1/2
                                Tyr202/204, p70S6KThr389, and 4E-BP1Thr37/46 increased significantly (P,0.05) only in the
                                30FAIL condition at 4 h post-exercise, whereas, 4E-BP1
                                Thr37/46 phosphorylation was greater 24 h after exercise than at rest in
                                both 90FAIL (237%) and 30FAIL (312%) conditions. Pax7 mRNA expression increased at 24 h post-exercise (P = 0.02)
                                regardless of condition. The mRNA expression of MyoD and myogenin were consistently elevated in the 30FAIL condition.

Conclusions/Significance: These results suggest that low-load high volume resistance exercise is more
                                pistolthedon to mike arnold: "I want to melt inside you."

Comment

Working...
                                X