Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I actually just directly addressed this study for my next column in MD. I don't suppose I could ask you to wait til it's published? lol
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
      I actually just directly addressed this study for my next column in MD. I don't suppose I could ask you to wait til it's published? lol
      that's fine. i myself started periodizing my reps up to as high as 30, and the response in my legs is pretty fantastic. i put an inch on the widest part of my thigh in about 8 weeks. for me (47 years old), that's pretty good.
      pistolthedon to mike arnold: "I want to melt inside you."

Comment

i believe I covered UC in that article?
        I don't think so, all I see it talk about is high protein diets.

Comment

• my bad http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne37.htm
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

why don't you eat meat?
            It just doesn't spin my wheels Layne. I'll eat it when my wife cooks it, or I might have a steak every now and then when we go out for a meal. But to be honest it's not something I feel my body needs. I've read a lot of studies / books with regards to digestion of meats, veganism, meat consumption in relation to various diseases eg Alzheimers. I just personally believe the overall health of an individual that is vegetarian (or eats a low amount of meat) is better than someone that consumes meat on a daily basis. I understand BB'ing often isn't a sport that is attributed to amazing health (I'm talking about the extremities of the sport - competing, dieting etc), but for me it is all about health. I'm into packing as much muscle as I can on my frame, but at the same time an optimally functioning digestive system is important in relation to longevity (a lot of my family are vegan / vegetarian and lived well into their 90's with perfect health and not taking any medications). Hope you can understand my reasoning ?! Thanks

Comment

• An excerpt taken from an article I had published 30th June 2010 summarising nutrition with regards to ultrarunning, although my beliefs are the same whatever sport:

"Nutrition is the basis of good health and there simply is no way around having a healthy, balanced diet. Human DNA is nearly 99% identical to chimpanzees but yet our diets are often polar opposites. For optimal health and improved running we need to try and copy their diet and eating habits:

1. ORGANIC PLANTS, FRUITS and VEGETABLES. Organic plants, fruits and vegetables should make up around 50-60% of your diet.

2. RAW, SPROUTED or FERMENTED. Raw, fermented or sprouted foods such as nuts, sprouts, legumes etc.

3. LESS MEAT. Meat should comprises less than 5% of your total food intake.

4. FRONT LOAD YOUR DAY WITH NUTRITION. A big breakfast, good sized lunch followed by a smaller dinner eaten early in the evening. All chimpanzees generally stop eating around 4pm all over the world, there really is no need to be eating at 9pm and the same can be said for us. A well trained runner should have enough fuel and glycogen supplies for close to three hours of running, and that is before a meal.

5. SUPPLEMENTS. Supplements should be natural and organic where possible. Spirulina, Omega 3’s and a natural, non-synthetic vitamin/antioxidant/mineral are the essentials. Hopefully now you can see there are big benefits for runners to lean towards a near-vegetarian diet and before anybody asks no, chimpanzees do not drink Coke.

Full article here: http://www.1vigor.com/article/ultrarunning-mindset/

Comment

• Originally posted by bigjimsty View Post
                It just doesn't spin my wheels Layne. I'll eat it when my wife cooks it, or I might have a steak every now and then when we go out for a meal. But to be honest it's not something I feel my body needs. I've read a lot of studies / books with regards to digestion of meats, veganism, meat consumption in relation to various diseases eg Alzheimers. I just personally believe the overall health of an individual that is vegetarian (or eats a low amount of meat) is better than someone that consumes meat on a daily basis. I understand BB'ing often isn't a sport that is attributed to amazing health (I'm talking about the extremities of the sport - competing, dieting etc), but for me it is all about health. I'm into packing as much muscle as I can on my frame, but at the same time an optimally functioning digestive system is important in relation to longevity (a lot of my family are vegan / vegetarian and lived well into their 90's with perfect health and not taking any medications). Hope you can understand my reasoning ?! Thanks
                studies that correlate meat with health are flawed in that most people with a high intake of meat also have low intake of fiber and high fat intake. When you correct for those two variables, the correlation is completely nonexistant
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

studies that correlate meat with health are flawed in that most people with a high intake of meat also have low intake of fiber and high fat intake. When you correct for those two variables, the correlation is completely nonexistant
                  This is why i like Layne, and this is why people hate him, because he puts science behind there answers, answer which most people do not want to hear, and if you don't want to eat meat thats fine, just back-up your answer with some real scientific evidence, its like the saying "don't let the facts get in the way of a good story"

Comment

• Originally posted by StuchWSU View Post
                    This is why i like Layne, and this is why people hate him, because he puts science behind there answers, answer which most people do not want to hear, and if you don't want to eat meat thats fine, just back-up your answer with some real scientific evidence, its like the saying "don't let the facts get in the way of a good story"
                    I have enough literature & scientific studies that prove that meat consumption isn't good for you on many levels - and I do eat meat myself if you go back to my very first post. Happy to email you a few of these journals if you're in any way doubtful - or interested; just PM me your email address and I'll send some of them your way
                    The majority of people that are centenarians are vegan, vegetarian or eat very little meat... as do the people in the world with the lowest statistics of Western health conditions (Okinawans are probably the best example), such as cancer, heart attacks, hypertension etc etc.

http://www.secrets-of-longevity-in-h...lue-zones.html

FYI I don't disagree with Layne (in fact I agree totally with the statement he made). Just don't assume I'm talking crap, longevity and diet are something I've been studying for the last 10yrs or so and have thousands of articles and studies on the subject. I'm sure Layne has his reasoning for eating meat which I'm sure is backed up by science, but so are my theories and ideaology on not eating it. Cheers J.
                    Last edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ; December 10, 2010, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Hm, nothing really about ulcerative proctitis but thanks anyway

Comment

• Originally posted by David1991 View Post
                        Hm, nothing really about ulcerative proctitis but thanks anyway
                        i thought i covered it in there. well basically you are going to have to monitor your situation careful, make sure that when you aren't having flare ups you eat enough fiber and when you do have flare ups follow a low residue diet. glutamine supplementation may actually be useful for you as well
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• It is so easy to make correlations with things like this to back your beliefs that I just don't buy this "research". These centenarians probably just had a better diet in general (lower in unnecessary fats/refined sugar and higher in fiber and micronutrients than the average meat eater) which would promote good health in general, leading to a longer life. If someone ate the amount of good fruits and vegetables that a vegetarian does and also ate meat they would probably be just as healthy as a straight vegetarian and maybe even more healthy.

I don't think the meat itself is bad, but I wouldn't be surprised if the shit that is being injected and feed to the animals has some type of negative effect on the human body. But, hey, who knows?

Comment

• above x2

Comment

• Layne what are your thoughts on creatine mono and cardio? Does it benefit say a runner? I like to run 2-3miles sometime for cardio. Also did you see the Bros VS Pros deadlift challenge on "the other website" Derek Poundstone did 405 37 times(he also did 765 for a triple!!!)how do you think you would do? I saw a youtube video of Doug Miller doing 27 with 405, the winner won like two grand, I just think it would be cool to see some natty's like you and doug in there?

Comment

• I am not debating whether or not it is bad for you, your avi looks good and I am sure you were a fit and healthy guy, and most of your posts seem well thought out, I mean no disrespect and I am not trying to be a smart ass, but what layne explained between a correlation and cause and effect is what most people fail to realize when making a statement based on science, my point is you can justify almost any argument with a correlation, high reps=ripped for example,

Comment

Working...
                                X