Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    I have never claimed to be a 'guru', in fact I quite dislike the moniker. It implies 'all knowing' and I'll be the first to tell you, there's plenty I don't know. I'd like to think I've got a decent handle on my little corner of the scientific and bodybuilding universe, but still there's plenty I don't know and am always trying to learn. I've never tried to come across as a 'guru'.

As for advertising, certainly posting on various sites has helped raise my profile and acquire clients over time, but I think you should look back a bit. I've been posting on forums for 10 years. I've had my business for 5. I was giving out free advice for a good 5 years before I ever even thought about taking a dime from anyone. And at this point I have a waiting list for clients and enough word of mouth referrals that I could probably not post on any message board again and still maintain a good client base and pick up enough just from referrals, so I don't post on forums to acquire new clients. I do it because for the most part, I enjoy it and I enjoy helping people. Now getting a few new clients from it is an added bonus, but it's not my main motivation. You can choose to believe what you like in that regard.

Like I said before, I was just trying to help you, for whatever reason you took offense to it because of some perceived slight which did not exist
    Glad to hear you business is going so well.

I have caused enough trouble on this thread, again I apologize if I took your post wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Klaus Urine View Post
      You're off your fucking rocker, mate.
      Yeah, your not the first.....
      .... and probably wont be the last......

Comment

How far down are you going on hacks and what specific brand is it? I mean it's not necessarily a bad thing that you get sore from it, but you don't want it negatively impacting subsequent workouts. How long have you been doing the hacks consistently and consistently had this prolonged soreness?
        It after all, you don't want to go further, I fully understand.....

Not sure the brand, but it is a pretty vertical angle compared to others I have used.

I go all the way down, and pause at the bottom.

It is definitely the RP that does it. When I do two normal sets of heavy hacks, I am only sore for two days.

When I implement RP, I am sore for 5.

I have done a lot of research on RP and believe it is an extremely effective technique, and have carefully monitored my results with RP vs regular and seen clearly better results.

I ran this for a full 10 weeks, first two weeks I was sore for more than a week, next 8 I was sore for no less than 5 days.

Ultimately, what I am trying to figure out in your opinion, would I be better off with 2 heavy regular sets, getting in a 2nd workout/ week, or if I should stick with it and get 1/week.

Comment

• how often are you using RP? every workout?
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Hey Layne,
            I've tried taking Saw Palmetto for the prostate it seemed to work well, but it gave me really bad headaches.
            Do you know of any other supplement that would be good for the prostate?

Thank You,

Comment

how often are you using RP? every workout?
              Yes, I am using RP for every workout.

Not just for quads, but for everything.

My workouts are what I would call a DC hypertrophy split, where I replaced the power with DC style.

Comment

• Waiting in anticipation (in Australia so figure shipping is going to take a while) for the DVD Layne

On you hypertrophy days you said you stop 2 reps short of failure mostly. Do you still feel a struggle to get out the last rep of the set?

It seems like when I do a set (for example, failing on the 10th rep) I start out fine, but the last 2 or 3 reps get a lot harder, really quickly, and if I'm stopping 2 reps short of failure (at 8) it's almost too easy? But If I were to put up the weight I would fail sooner. . .

Comment

• i don't think i understand your question
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Layne,

do you necessarily need to go above your calorie maintenance such as excessively bulk to gain muscle? Or can you gain muscle while staying lean or would it be more difficult or rather a long process?

Comment

i don't think i understand your question
                      Sorry

Basically, having trained to failure often in the past, I don't feel like I'm working hard enough not training to failure lol

I'm wondering if you still feel like your working hard stopping 2 reps short of failure?

Comment

• if you are doing enough volume yes. and I still train to failure, just not every set, because taking every set to failure reduces the amount of strength drastically on subsequent sets and also decreases volume output as well reducing your overall capacity for hypertrophy if not used properly.

in short, put your ego aside
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

if you are doing enough volume yes. and I still train to failure, just not every set, because taking every set to failure reduces the amount of strength drastically on subsequent sets and also decreases volume output as well reducing your overall capacity for hypertrophy if not used properly.

in short, put your ego aside
                          Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it

Comment

• Layne,

Right now Iím cutting using your cutting protocol.
                            As an endomorph this puts me at around:
                            Pro: 275g
                            Carbs: 100g
                            Fat: 50g
                            Total calories: 1950

If my post workout meal is my last meal before I go to bed, how much protein/carbs would your recommend for that meal?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• the amount recommended in the article. carbs at night don't make you magically store fat like some people would have you believe
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Hey, Layne. I posted this last week. Not sure if you saw it...

I recently heard that because insulin spikes lead to secretion of somatostatin (which blocks production of Growth Hormone), a high carbohydrate meal should not be consumed immediately after a workout if your main goal is fat loss. What do you think about this? My thinking is that this is only one piece of the puzzle. If you do something like HIIT your body's main fuel is going to be carbohydrates (assuming you are doing anerobic intervals), so that is what needs to be replenished. If there is no sugar readily available then the body will have to go to amino acids to create glucose, sacrificing muscle, right? So couldn't this in the long term have a negative effect on fat loss and training in general?

Comment

Working...
                                X