Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layne, I just want to let you know that I read you article about dieting and it is one of the coolest article I have ever read.
    Everything is explained with very simple terms and it makes it really easy to understand a little more how the body works

thanks a lot !

Comment

• yup no problem buddy, good luck at your show
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Layne,

How should I figure in the calisthenics we do at my units PT? They classify it as strength training, but with the short rest times and high reps, it seems to me that it would fall more under endurance/cardio. How would this type of work affect my weight training (i.e. should the push-ups count as chest work such that I need to cut back on my gym sessions so as not to overtrain? Also, would the twice weekly abs work included in the calisthenics be enough ab work or should I include it in my regular weight training schedule as well?)

I appreciate your advice and effort to answer these basic questions. Especially the diet advice from my last post. The calculator provided in the article is great.

Dustin

Comment

• Originally posted by Bottom Gun View Post
          Layne,

How should I figure in the calisthenics we do at my units PT? They classify it as strength training, but with the short rest times and high reps, it seems to me that it would fall more under endurance/cardio. How would this type of work affect my weight training (i.e. should the push-ups count as chest work such that I need to cut back on my gym sessions so as not to overtrain? Also, would the twice weekly abs work included in the calisthenics be enough ab work or should I include it in my regular weight training schedule as well?)

I appreciate your advice and effort to answer these basic questions. Especially the diet advice from my last post. The calculator provided in the article is great.

Dustin
          just my 2 cents:

without weights, pushups dont work the chest that much. and i dont think it will cause overtraining. but resting is important.
          No one is special, some were patient.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bottom Gun View Post
            Layne,

Dustin
            for someone who weight trains heavy; push ups are not going to impact recover... it is more like endurance than it is strength
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• thought you guys might like this... i posted it in my blog on bodybuilding.com, unfortunately i didn't have my camera in the gym

-------------------------------------------------------------

thought I should talk for a second about my workout today. I always say that the workouts that make the difference are not when you feel good; hell it's easy to go heavy and break PRs when you feel good. Anyone can do that. What makes a bodybuilder or breaks a bodybuilder is whether or not they can have a great workout when they feel like crap. Just some background. Sunday I did sprints pretty hard and today my hip was still sore where it inserts with my quads (not sure of the exact muscle), I had a slight headache, and my lower back wasn't sore, but didn't feel 100% either. I thought about moving back this front squat workout to later in the week since I also have a big final tommorow that i've been stressed out studying for. But I made myself go into the gym today because I know that If I want to be able to have a shot against these great natural bodybuilders I cannot let up; period. Even if I didn't feel 100% I was going to find a way to break some PRs today, now I'm not trying to sound like my situation was really dire or anything because it wasn't... but as many of you know, if you are even slightly off it can affect your whole workout, especially when you are doing something heavy like front squats & glut ham raises. I was determined to make it happen.

My previous personal best on front squats was 365 for 2 sets of 5. I warmed up and slapped 375 on the bar. First set: put on Stupify from Disturbed and went for it... 1,2,3,4... barely eeked out the 5th rep. I take a few minutes to gather myself and think "ok if I can get this next set I will have certainly set a new PR. I just need to take it one rep at a time." Next set: time for some Stricken by Disturbed... 1,2,3, 4th rep was rough, slightly off balance. I told myself to forget about it and get this one last rep. Put it down and barely eeked out that fifth rep. I was getting ready to lighten up the load and I told myself "f*ck it... you've got one more in you." Went back for another dose of Stupify: 1,2,3, 4th rep was barely eeked out, more difficult than the 5th rep of my previous set. I stood there looking at myself in the mirror and almost went to rack it. Then I thought "one more... one more rep, just get this one rep"... down into the hole, I start to change direction to come up but this is now feeling like 2 tons across my shoulders, but I kept that out of my head and just told myself to keep moving it... slowly the weight starts to move it's way up and after about 5 seconds I reach the breakpoint at the top of the hole and I accelerate to the top for the 5th rep! 3 sets of 5 with 375... not bad for a guy who felt like ass coming into the gym. I then went on to set another PR on glut ham raise, and did extensions with the stack + 25 additional pounds for 2 sets of 10 reps... another personal record.

Am I the strongest guy around... absolutely not...not even close, not even amongst natural bodybuilders. But I was proud of myself. I felt like crap and I wanted to quit, felt like quitting and almost quit, and I don't think many people would have blamed me for cutting my workout short or moving it to another day with my final coming up; being sore, and less than 100%. But I would have known, I would have known that I copped out and I know that simply won't cut it. If someone beats me it will be because they are genetically better than me; not because they worked harder than me, I just can't allow that and the idea of someone working harder than me drives me absolutely insane.

Again, the bad workouts that you turn into great ones are the workouts that make the difference.

I'm not even close to a top pro yet but... I'm coming for you all, believe that.

-Layne "Look in my face, stare in my soul... I begin to stupify"
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Awesome Layne. That is what it's all about, and I feel the same way; I don't ever want to feel like I didn't work hard enough, that's really the one thing in this sport you have control of. I'm looking forward to getting a workout in with you sometime (Gabe Zentner is my workout partner, and if he hasn't told you already you are a huge inspiration to him)
                I min/max my physique

Comment

• That's the heart of a champion right there boys and girls! I'm sitting here typing away with my legs bouncing like a friggin trip hammer. That shit jacks me up brother!
                  You guys may get a kick out of this. Check it out.
                  http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscu...menu/menu.html
                  My wifes anatomy and physiology professor is a super cool guy, and has tons of this stuff.
                  Assistant to the regional manager.
                  Iron8 approved

Comment

• Todd, that is so cool!
                    I min/max my physique

Comment

• Good effort Layne. Just wondering, do you put that much effort into every workout? I mean, you've set the benchmark now, will you be disappointed if you don't achieve at least these numbers on every subsequent workout now?

Comment

• actually i cycle my training a bit so now that i've broken my max i'll lighten up my heavy days for a few weeks and build back up to 385 over about 6 weeks so by the time that lift comes up i'll be really jacked up for it
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• I just ordered 3 bottles of Substance WPI, I hope its good I ordered 2 grapes and 1 watermelon. I also ordered a bottle of there ZMA . I really injoy the WPI that I drink now but I wanted to add in some variety to keep things fresh.

Comment

• So i've finally read the whole thread after joining today and I follow your thread on BB.com....

First off, great inspiration for the naturals out there....

Secondly, I see that when you do front squats you do the arms up/crossed. I am an athlete and we do front squats from the powerlifting setup of clean to squat. Now that season is over and I can do what I want, what do you recommend? Arms up and crossed or powerlifting style?

Comment

• my wrists can't take the powerliftin style; however, if you like that better; then do it
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by El_Spiko View Post
                                Todd, that is so cool!
                                Did you use the function where you can resect the muscles? You can also click on the body image on the center of the page to show a certain body movement, and in the image to the left it will show you what muscles are being used, and at what point of the movement. Good stuff. See what about $8K/semester will buy you
                                Assistant to the regional manager.
                                Iron8 approved

Comment

Working...
                                X