Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    to be honest i haven't seen the study. but whey is so low in cholesterol that even if it was oxidized i can't imagine it doing much damage
    LOL, cheers mate.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Heffalum View Post
      Hey Layne,
      I'm a bodybuilder at heart but I'm very fat right now. It will take a year to get lean again(I miss the competition) but recently A guy I work with suggested I should do a power lifting contest. It's a natural single lift meet so I thought I would do the bench press. I'm a pretty strong bencher but lift more for bodybuilding. So I wanted to see where I was at. I warmed up with a lot of sets but when I got to 405 on the whey down with the weight I felt pain in the side of the chest by the arm pit, like a rubber band being stretched to the brink of breaking I don't think I tore any thing but the area is tender. I felt around and I can't feel any thing out of place or torn. I've noticed tightness in the area before doing lat pull downs and bent over rear lateral raises. So my questions are there supplements that strengthen tendons and maybe some stretching exercises to loosen up the area?
      I'm also a little paranoid can you tweak something like this and have it heel on it's own?
      Thank you,
      i don't know of any that strengthen tendons to be honest
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Heffalum View Post
        Hey Layne,
        I'm a bodybuilder at heart but I'm very fat right now. It will take a year to get lean again(I miss the competition) but recently A guy I work with suggested I should do a power lifting contest. It's a natural single lift meet so I thought I would do the bench press. I'm a pretty strong bencher but lift more for bodybuilding. So I wanted to see where I was at. I warmed up with a lot of sets but when I got to 405 on the whey down with the weight I felt pain in the side of the chest by the arm pit, like a rubber band being stretched to the brink of breaking I don't think I tore any thing but the area is tender. I felt around and I can't feel any thing out of place or torn. I've noticed tightness in the area before doing lat pull downs and bent over rear lateral raises. So my questions are there supplements that strengthen tendons and maybe some stretching exercises to loosen up the area?
        I'm also a little paranoid can you tweak something like this and have it heel on it's own?
        Thank you,
        Look into Cissus for tendon strength and healing. Some good studies on it. I use the PrimaForce caps... it's pretty bitter in the powder form, easier just to take in caps.
        "Anger is a gift"

        Comment


        • Layne, according to your contest prep article, what do you do when the fat loss stalls, do you decrease carbs only or protein-carbs-fats equally?

          Comment


          • it really depends on your macros. Dont lower fat less than about 17% of total calories for too long, Protein should be kept at around 1-1.3 g per lbs. Carbs should be reduced and more cardio added.

            Comment


            • Layne what do you think of carbohydrate and nutrient partitioners such as USP labs anabolic pump or USP labs prime? Doug Miller is promoter for these sort of supps.
              If you had an endless supply to supplements what would you personally choose besides a whey protein?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by got_muscle View Post
                Layne, according to your contest prep article, what do you do when the fat loss stalls, do you decrease carbs only or protein-carbs-fats equally?
                it depends on the individual and their specific metabolism. Drop carbs/fats, add cardio or combos of all 3 or change the way in which they are distributed
                BioLayne LLC
                PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

                Comment


                • Originally posted by jayhawks View Post
                  Layne what do you think of carbohydrate and nutrient partitioners such as USP labs anabolic pump or USP labs prime? Doug Miller is promoter for these sort of supps.
                  If you had an endless supply to supplements what would you personally choose besides a whey protein?
                  http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne25.htm

                  I love how people act like glucose disposal agents are new, when I was writing about them 8 years ago
                  BioLayne LLC
                  PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

                  Comment


                  • Thanks I'll give it a try. I'm also glad to say every thing is healed up and ready to go. My meet is march 5.
                    Originally posted by Grunt View Post
                    Look into Cissus for tendon strength and healing. Some good studies on it. I use the PrimaForce caps... it's pretty bitter in the powder form, easier just to take in caps.

                    Comment


                    • question here. lets say one misses their last meal the night before, and they are dieting so the calories especially matter in this case (muscle retention). Would you say its a good idea that they split up their missed meal over the course throughout the next day? Afterall, the total amount of calories for the week is moreso what matters then simply the day. If this was done, the calories for the week would still be the same

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Younglifter16 View Post
                        question here. lets say one misses their last meal the night before, and they are dieting so the calories especially matter in this case (muscle retention). Would you say its a good idea that they split up their missed meal over the course throughout the next day? Afterall, the total amount of calories for the week is moreso what matters then simply the day. If this was done, the calories for the week would still be the same
                        sure... but why miss the meal at all?
                        BioLayne LLC
                        PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

                        Comment


                        • the question is more theoretical, to see if it'd make a difference or not. I think spreading it over the next day would be fine.

                          Comment


                          • Hey Layne,
                            Just got through reading this entire thread. Just wanted to say thanks man for all the knowledge you ve given.
                            It s awesome how someone so busy can be so generous with their time.
                            Im sure for every person who logs in to ask a question that s been answred countless times before and is impatient when they dont get an immediate reply, there s someone who reads every page to find almost every question they might ve asked has already been answered.
                            Much appreciated bro.
                            Keep up the good work.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by SidG View Post
                              Hey Layne,
                              Just got through reading this entire thread. Just wanted to say thanks man for all the knowledge you ve given.
                              It s awesome how someone so busy can be so generous with their time.
                              Im sure for every person who logs in to ask a question that s been answred countless times before and is impatient when they dont get an immediate reply, there s someone who reads every page to find almost every question they might ve asked has already been answered.
                              Much appreciated bro.
                              Keep up the good work.
                              Thank you sir, I appreciate the kind words!

                              hey guys, I know I'm backed up on questions so I apologize for that. I was traveling all weekend to speak for the National Dairy Council at their symposium as a guest speaker in San Francisco so I got a bit backed up and then on the flight home last night I came down with some bad food poisoning and have been bed ridden pretty much all day. Tomorrow I leave again for Columbus for the Arnold, so it might be til next week when I can finish up the questions

                              For those of you attending the Arnold...


                              I apologize for waiting til the last minute to make this post but I wanted to be sure of my responsibilities before I did so. Isabel and I WILL be attending the Arnold Classic Expo this year. You will be able to find me at the Scivation booth on the following days & hours

                              Friday: 11 am to 4 pm
                              Saturday: 3 pm to 5 pm
                              Sunday: 11 am to 3 pm

                              I will be taking a lunch break at some point on Friday & Sunday so if you go to the booth and I'm not there, it's likely I'll be back shortly.

                              For those who are interested I will be selling my DVD, Layne Norton Unleashed, at the expo for a discount ($25 cash only). I will also have pictures on hand to sign for those who are interested. I am looking forward to meeting new faces and chatting with old friends so please stop by the booth and say hi!

                              Regards,
                              Layne
                              BioLayne LLC
                              PhD, Nutritional Sciences
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

                              Comment


                              • 1- Thanks for all your help Layne. Really appreciate it!

                                2- I have a very annoying problem with gas/throat burn that's starting to affect my workouts. It occurs ONLY when I'm working out.. typically with heavy movements such as deads or squats. What will happen is I'll be doing a set then after that I start getting a lot of gas in my stomach/throat and I have to burp a lot. My throat will also burn a little. I assumed it was b/c my diet was too acidic? But I eat very clean/healthy and not too acidic (diet is basically: chick/beef; oats; rice; beans; potatoes; protein powder; nuts; fish oil; broccoli; green beans; cheese; yogurt... that's 95% of my diet and it has been that way for 9 months +)

                                3- My abs are relatively weak. Whenever I do squats I go down slightly past parallel (and I really mean it) and when I come up, towards the end of my sets my stomach area will start to cave in and I have to jerk the weight up/back with my lower back and quads.
                                a- I also have a problem with working my abs directly. I typically try to do abs 1-2x per week at the very end of my workout. I'll do 2-3 sets of 10-12 strict reps. Directly afterwards my lower left side of my abs start spasming... every time. It's pretty scary b/c I'm worrried I'll tare something. This has been going on for over 1 year and is annoying as hell. No idea what happened. Maybe I ripped something in my abs? Ever heard of this? I'm also fairly strong (deadlift 495 for 8 reps; squat is weak @ 300 lbs x 7 reps. Both are my maxes) so not sure why my abs are like this... I get plenty of electrolytes and I've tried taurine + potassium but they did nothing.


                                Any advice is appreciated!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X