Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layne..

1) What do you recommend for a pre-workout meal?
    -A shake OR whole food
    -Can it be the same shake as post-workout

2) Post-workout, what do you recommend?
    -Say I have 30 grams of protein...what should I mix in with it?
    -Is Dextrose, Maltodextrin, 50/50 mix of dextrose/maltodextrin, OR potato starch good? How much?
    My Journal:

Comment

• Originally posted by Giant View Post
      Hi Layne,
      I'm sure this will of been covered previously but I don't have the time to shift through the 434 pages of this thread & the search feature isn't getting me anywhere.
      So, what is your opinion on offseason cardio?

Currently I do it once a week to kill time, improve cardiovascular health & it helps my leg DOMS.
      Thanks in advance.
      High intensity intervals and GPP work are useful
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by shlammed View Post
        Layne, quick question

I have two bottles of XTEND that have sat around for a while. Does that stuff expire? It seems to have started to clump so I'm going to guess "yes".
        yes but clumping doesn't necessarily mean it's expired, just that it's hydroscopic
        BioLayne LLC
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by HulkStrong View Post
          Hey Layne. I just started taking Cissus and have noticed that my lymphnodes have swollen up quite a bit. Have you ever heard of anybody having any adverse affects to this supp?
          nope
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by idar0707 View Post
            Hi Layne! First off, thanks for taking your time being on here answering all these questions! I have two questions
            1. Which pre workout- and intra wo supplements would you recommend? I thought about doing AAKG, citrulin malate, creatine and beta alanine pre, and bcaa's intra. Will AAKG and citrulin do anything for me?
            2. Which fatty acids would you recommend one having in a diet? I'm currently taking a omega 3 supp from salmon and eating coconut and nuts (mostly almonds) as my main source for fat.

I'm currently cutting. Man, 200 lbs (quite lean), 23 yrs.
            Thanks!
            1) citrulline will. betaine may also be useful
            2) well those are good
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by miralgandhi View Post
              Hey layne...so i wasn't able to get the MD with Arnold on the cover. I remember in the issue before you discussed cycling bulking and cutting. I remember that you said you would get into more detail in the following issue. As I said before, I was unable to get this issue. Is there any way you could repost the main points you discussed? Or maybe just repost the entire article? Also, i was wondering if a 2 week bulking and 2 week cutting would work. Thanks.
              don't know if i'm allowed to post that on the forum, i don't want to tick off the powers that be since it was printed in the mag
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Layne, I know everyone, including you recommend some type of re-feed when in pre-contest or cut mode.

I know that it is supposed to serve different purposes, 1)mental, 2) refill glycogen for performance, 3) metabolic.

I completely agree that it will work for 1 and 2, but I highly doubt it will do anything for 3, and in fact I would argue that taking those extra calories from the re-feed day, or days in some cases, divided among the "low" days, would actually have more of a metabolic impact than one day boost.

I just don't see it as being enough time to really make any metabolic, or hormonal impact.

You clearly have a much better understanding of metabolism than I do, and I am wondering if you think I am off base.

Comment

• If you were going to update "Game Over Volume 2", what if any are some of the key changes you would like to make to the prep plan and diet it outlines?
                  I min/max my physique

Comment

• i didn't write ANY of the game over books. not sure why people are under the impression i did LOL
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                      i didn't write ANY of the game over books. not sure why people are under the impression i did LOL
                      Probably your name on the cover I know there's one section specifically attributed to you, never knew how much of the rest of it you had a hand in.
                      I min/max my physique

Comment

• It says "By Chuck Rudolph" on the cover
                        BioLayne LLC
                        Scivation Athlete
                        MD Columnist
                        Website

Comment

• Hi Layne !

A few years back, I saw you recommend to a guy named "mitch" to do his cardio on the rower to get more hardness out of his back since there was a good difference between his upper body and lower body condition.

Do you still stand by this ?
                          I am asking because the fat on my back is usually the last thing to go and the skin is still pretty thick even on contest day, but maybe I just didn't diet enought also for past show.

I am not doing any cardio now but I'll start soon as I am 11 weeks out, I am training legs 3 times a week so I wasn't sure if I would be better doing cardio on the rower considering this. (quads with some presses on monday, hams with some presses to on wednesday and some lighter giants sets work on saturday morning)

thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Comment

• Layne, I am wondering if you can clear up something for me based on your research.

I have read everything you have written and have tried to follow your protocol pretty closely.

Obviously people get great results with your protocol, and with other protocols as well.

You mention in your article's and work, that your protocol is based on optimizing MPS.

What I am wondering is, based on your research, the effects of going less than optimal?

So, just to clarify, if we were to look at 2 extremes that counter your protocol:

1) Traditional bro-science bodybuilding diet - eat every 2-2.5 hours or your muscles will fall off

2) Some variation of intermittent fasting, lets just use say leangains for argument sake which consumes all calories in an 8 hour window, say of 3 meals which would be much higher protein content/meal than your protocol.

If we were to say your protocol is optimal, can you give me a feel for how sub-optimal the above 2 methods are?

I know this is extremely hard to quantify, so could you "throw out" a % of optimization with regards to MPS compared to your protocol for those two methods?

Comment

• Layne,
                              I am wondering what your feeling is about taking BCAA's like Xtend in the middle of the night instead of a shake. I only ask because some nights I don't wake up and sleep the whole way through.... Is it giving any benefits taking the Xtend when I do happen to wake up? Or is it just a waste to be taking it? Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by HulkStrong View Post
                                Layne,
                                I am wondering what your feeling is about taking BCAA's like Xtend in the middle of the night instead of a shake. I only ask because some nights I don't wake up and sleep the whole way through.... Is it giving any benefits taking the Xtend when I do happen to wake up? Or is it just a waste to be taking it? Thanks!
                                He feels its great taking xtend at night....if you happened to see this post: http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...=1#post2011279

He mentioned somewhere in this thread about having a shake, with oatmeal, and BCAA at night when he goes pee pee (LOL)
                                Shelby 01/2000 - 4/18/10. Rest in peace baby, there's no more suffering.

Comment

Working...
                                X