Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joshdickinson View Post
    just checked out your new site layne, nice!
    thanks for checking it out josh!
    BioLayne LLC
    PhD, Nutritional Sciences
    Scivation Athlete
    MD Columnist
    Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
      good... aced my final in the PhD nutrition class last week

I'm happy for you bro, and .....just saw the site, I like it!!!!

Comment

• Awesome website Layne! and congrats on your final that you aced. Hope all is well with your training and stuff. Take care bro.

- Matt

Comment

• Layne, nice site btw.

Hey, I read somewhere that you argue that HIIT is better for higher carb diets. I'm a big fan of HIIT for fat loss and heart health--lots of literature support. But, a lot of people argue it burns muscle.

If I've got this right, I would like to hear your rational. Include brief refs to citations if appropriate...

Comment

slightly different but the principles are very similar still

awsome , guess i was making the whole nutrition thing too complacated , just hit my totals for the day , then call it a day , oh course eating the right foods

Comment

• congrats on the website layne.

Comment

• Originally posted by sstandley View Post
                Layne, nice site btw.

Hey, I read somewhere that you argue that HIIT is better for higher carb diets. I'm a big fan of HIIT for fat loss and heart health--lots of literature support. But, a lot of people argue it burns muscle.

If I've got this right, I would like to hear your rational. Include brief refs to citations if appropriate...
                quite simple. Aneorobic/glycolytic exercise like sprinting that you can only maintain for 10-20 seconds causes you to make very very fast rapid contractions. Now normally most people think stimulating muscle is just about the load you are using, however speed plays a very big part. Hell ask most powerlifters... most of them do a TON of speed work with light weights. That's because even though load is important, speed is also critically important. You can actually stimulate muscle fiber growth through speed contractions. Scientifically I hate analogies, but honestly the real life proof is in the pudding. Look at an endurance runner and look at a sprinter, even before steroids become prominent in sprinting sprinters were still pretty well built with big legs. That is not by accident
                BioLayne LLC
                Scivation Athlete
                MD Columnist
                Website

Comment

Scientifically I hate analogies, but honestly the real life proof is in the pudding. Look at an endurance runner and look at a sprinter, even before steroids become prominent in sprinting sprinters were still pretty well built with big legs. That is not by accident
                  I must confess to using this one all the time as well. Look at sprinters, wrestlers, etc. Many maintain incredible mass with very little fat. It's no coincedence. Best muscle/fat ratios come with max output/short (but max) time.

You have prob also read that HIIT upregulates the ensemble of fatty acid metabolic enzymes also...presumably for the purpose of greater utilization.

Without bothering you too much, what sorts of HIIT training time periods would you suggest if you were going to supplant the standard cardio for weight loss? How many?

I typically do spinning classes (40 min) that have several periods of max output. Also, I like to roll (wrestle/jiu jitsu). 3-5 min intervals.

thanks.
                  Last edited by Dr Pangloss; May 19, 2007, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• here is my favorite protocol

I would do sprinting intervals

5 minute warmup

50 secs light jog/ 10 seconds sprint
                    48 secs light jog/12 sec sprint
                    46/14
                    44/16
                    42/18
                    40/20
                    40/20
                    42/18
                    44/16
                    46/14
                    48/12
                    50/10

5 minute cool down
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• thanks. very helpful!

Comment

• Hi Layne

I know you are a strong advocate for the the supplementing of BCAA`s, the problem is that I can only get my hands on BCAA capsules. And I was wandering how the capsules compare to the powder,absorption wise? And would a 1g capsule equate to 1g of BCAA powder?

Thanks very much for the help.

Mike

Comment

here is my favorite protocol

I would do sprinting intervals

5 minute warmup

50 secs light jog/ 10 seconds sprint
                          48 secs light jog/12 sec sprint
                          46/14
                          44/16
                          42/18
                          40/20
                          40/20
                          42/18
                          44/16
                          46/14
                          48/12
                          50/10

5 minute cool down

do you recommend this on a treadmill or outside on a track, also would swimming be advisable?

Comment

• Originally posted by AllGenetix View Post
                            do you recommend this on a treadmill or outside on a track, also would swimming be advisable?
                            you can do that protocol with anything that you can get your heart rate up high with
                            BioLayne LLC
                            Scivation Athlete
                            MD Columnist
                            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by mikey8888 View Post
                              Hi Layne

I know you are a strong advocate for the the supplementing of BCAA`s, the problem is that I can only get my hands on BCAA capsules. And I was wandering how the capsules compare to the powder,absorption wise? And would a 1g capsule equate to 1g of BCAA powder?

Thanks very much for the help.

Mike
                              in terms of cost effectiveness powder is far better, but absorption wise there probably is not much difference
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• I got a question for you Layne...

Which is better to have before going to bed, is it casein or egg protein, I don't see people recommend too much egg protein and it kind of confuses me since egg protein last a lot in the intestines just as casein protein (I believe it's 7 hours).

Is it for the water content and its relation to how much your testosterone can go down when having too much water before bed? or is it something else? Is there a problem if I eat my regular 12 egg whites before bed (besides bad taste)?

Comment

Working...
                                X