Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree, I did feel pretty good on Dave's diet. I don't think he was too caught up on other diet's. He said it was too much fat and "peanut butter should never ever be in a diet." Plus, this guy is the one the promoter of the show. I just feel so small right now, like I'm losing muscle. Don't know if that is mental or not. Ya I am pretty much stuck for 12 more weeks with this. The only thing that saves me is coffee and thats only for an hour after I drink it haha.
    NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

• I wish you luck bro... but I don't envy your current position. Did you feel small (losing muscle'ish) on Daves diet? I definately think you could be (losing muscle) now. Also how many other guys has this person got ready for a show? Sometimes people are just genetically gifted and will do well anyway. I also am not a big fan of anyone saying X should "never" be in a diet. How can that be when we are all so different. Besides, what the hell is wrong with Natty PB? I've been using the stuff for 8 weeks straight and I keep getting better and better. My muscle mass has been hovering with-in 2 lbs. since I started this diet. My fat mass has dropped OVER 10lbs. and my strength is still fantastic. (curled the 80lbs. dbs for 6 last week, just as many as when I was a fat 220)

No disrespect to the guy you are working with as I'm sure he has done very well (and I never stepped on stage... yet), BUT we know Daves track record very well. His clients may not get 1st, however they do come in a much better package than previous outings. I know I have NO complaints except that I let myself get to 20-21% before I started.

Comment

• Layne, sorry for the little hijacking. I'm sure you will correct any mistakes I may have made. Would definately like your input on this one.

Comment

• Oh yeah and all that FAT in Daves diet is what keeps the calories high and keeps you from losing muscle. It is also VERY easy to adjust fat intake as needed. I brought my PB down from 32grams to 24 grams, my nuts down from 60g to 45g and my whole eggs from 6 to 4. Did the trick perfectly.

Comment

• Originally posted by crou View Post
            Yes he is a natural bodybuilder. I switched because when I showed him the diet (Dave's) I was on he said that it wouldnt work and that I should use the one he was going to give me. I know it does seem like I'm mixing oil and water but somehow it works for this guy and others he has trained. He also changed my lifting regiment which was very high volume before to 5 x a week taking the weekend off. Split is Back-Abs/Quads-Calves/Chest-Triceps-Abs/Hams-Bi's-Calves/Delts-Abs/Rest/Rest. He has me doing only 9 total sets for each bodypart and 4-6 reps per set. So basically low volume high intensity stuff with heavier weights than what I used before.
            I think something you need to realize is many people achieve great results for themselves IN SPITE of what they do... not because what they do is optimal. You need to look for reproducible results; not just results in themselves. That said I like Earl but my opinion is the same as spike; if you put yourself in middle ground of teeter tottering on the edge of keto but not quite there then you are going to be hungry & tired. Either go into keto or put more carbs in and drop protein. Personally, i'm a carb guy, especially during contest prep because if you want to fill out properly carbs are your best bet; and that's difficult to do if you've been doing keto for months.

-Layne
            BioLayne LLC
            PhD, Nutritional Sciences
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

I agree, I did feel pretty good on Dave's diet. I don't think he was too caught up on other diet's. He said it was too much fat and "peanut butter should never ever be in a diet." Plus, this guy is the one the promoter of the show. I just feel so small right now, like I'm losing muscle. Don't know if that is mental or not. Ya I am pretty much stuck for 12 more weeks with this. The only thing that saves me is coffee and thats only for an hour after I drink it haha.
              well you will feel small from being depleted no matter what diet you are one.

but any time you hear the words
              -never
              -always
              -only

essentially any kind of superlative; you can be sure that one's understanding metabolism is rudimentary or they are trying to simplify it to make it sound nice.

have you read my precontest article by chance?
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• No I have not read it. Where can I find it? I'm so confused on what to do here.
                NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

• Also, if I do add more carbs what should my macro breakdown be?
                  NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

• http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• just to interject a bit here....i did my first show back in 2002, and decided to get help from a local guy at the time. I didn't know anything about contest dieting, or competitive bb'ing in general. When i came to the guy i had just lost about 90lbs using the Atkins diet. He basically told me what Earl told you..."it won't work" "that's not a contest diet" "you'll look terrible using that diet". I, however, decided that it had brought me that far, so i wasn't going to change it. Long story short, i got in pretty good shape and got 4th out of 12 competitors. Alot of "old school" guys are very resistant to the fact that high-fat is an effective way of dieting, for some more than others. There refusal to accept this FACT demonstrates to me more than anything that their understanding of diet and metabolism is (as Layne said) rudimentary. Also, i was natural at that time.
                      Like all true bodybuilders I get my supplements from www.truenutrition.com use discount code BIGOSO

Comment

• I appreciate all the help and advice here guys. Layne, do you think 12 weeks out would be too close to adopt your way of thinking. And if I do is there anyway you could consult me personally and I could pay some fee?
                        NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

I appreciate all the help and advice here guys. Layne, do you think 12 weeks out would be too close to adopt your way of thinking. And if I do is there anyway you could consult me personally and I could pay some fee?
                          SMART MAN Crou! I do not think you would be disappointed with this decision. Just hope Layne has time.

Also if this is the case would you mind starting a progress thread? That would be pretty cool. I put mine in the "Forum Member Galleries" section.

And i bet 12 weeks would be fine assuming you are already in decent shape.

Comment

• good stuff here, crou, u should make up ur mind and choose one or the other (keto or more carbs). i came off a keto diet (daves) and was eating lower carbs to maintain some good shape but my head was killing me, so i upped the carbs jut a bit and i feel amazing.
                            5% off at Trueprotein.com: RNM120

Comment

I appreciate all the help and advice here guys. Layne, do you think 12 weeks out would be too close to adopt your way of thinking. And if I do is there anyway you could consult me personally and I could pay some fee?
                              you got 12 weeks , layne is a smart guy , hes stright foward with dieting , if you got the money sure why not get help from him , if not use the article its a really good step by step article , but your most important desisicon right now is sticking to a diet plan up until the show

Comment

• Ya I really need to make up my mind as soon as possible.. Layne what are your rates like? I'm kind of a broke ass college student so I hope not too much.
                                NGA Pro Bodybuilder

Comment

Working...
                                X