Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
    oh no, i'm afraid nothing that specific has been done in research
    It would be quite an interesting study. I wonder whether it's possible to get fat by jumping straight back up to maintenance calories after a restricted diet?

As far as I understand, all the fat storage mechanisms become super sensitive when the body loses a significant amount of adipose tissue (and I've lost about 22lbs). Given this, I guess getting fat wouldn't be out of the question, though it seems unlikely from just maintenance calories (calculated using the Harris Benedict formula for the new weight).

Comment

• how would you conduct that as a controlled study? there are so many variables it would be mind boggling to conduct... not to mention nobody would fund it
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

how would you conduct that as a controlled study?
        I sure as hell wouldn't! I'm just musing really. I've often wondered about it and thought it would be an interesting thing to study.

One of the big pitfalls of diets for many people seems to be regaining weight afterwards. Coupled with that seems to be a scarcity of information on how to come off diets and maintain fat loss if you've been very low calorie (at least I've seen little written about it).

Comment

• gotta come off very slowly
          BioLayne LLC
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• man...diss, oh well i'll get my own answers I suppose.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlteredBeast86 View Post
              man...diss, oh well i'll get my own answers I suppose.
              bro, I am SORRY. But give me a break ok... I get over 60 emails per day (sometimes near 100), over 30 PMs at various forums, moderate 4 forums, then I also need to do this thing called grad school research, then lifting, and also cooking all my food. That doesn't include phone calls from clients, or whatever writing i may be doing at the moment so yea, I miss a few questions... it wasn't a diss, give me some friggin' credit! I'm sorry man, but seriously, I'm only human, i'm not perfect.

And yes my joints ache when dieting, when i got to 3% on calipers i had to drastically reduce weights b/c I could hardly balance them at all.

glucosamine and cissus would be helpful
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

skinner box?
                A box with at least one button and a feeding mechanism for studying animal behaviour, usually rats and pigeons.
                I min/max my physique

Comment

• no, we make up a powdered diet and we give them a defined amount for breakfast (7 am) , then we let them eat ad libitum for 1 hour at lunch (1 pm) and dinner (6 pm) so it mimicks human eating patterns. At first they have trouble with it because rats usually just eat at night, but after about 4 days they adjust to it and are just fine with it
                  BioLayne LLC
                  Scivation Athlete
                  MD Columnist
                  Website

Comment

• Yeah, man I understand...I go to school full time, and work full time so I understand. I'll be more considerate, my fault man.

Comment

• no biggie, sorry if I was a bit harsh, just sometimes I don't think people understand how ridiculously busy I am. I really do try to answer all the questions I get... it's just really hard sometimes.

for example, when i got to the arnold this weekend for 3 days... when i get back i'll probably have to devote a full day just to answering emails & such
                      BioLayne LLC
                      Scivation Athlete
                      MD Columnist
                      Website

Comment

• Layne, what do you think of the cut diet? I know you were an author in the second edition. Thanks

Comment

• overall it is much different than what I do... that said I do think there is more than one way to skin a cat, I tend to not be as carb phobic as chuck, and while cutting carbs may be the best way to lose fat quickly, I prefer to keep all aspects of muscle retention, performance, how the diet makes you feel, etc in mind as well. That's what I love about Scivation though, they don't mind that my opinion doesn't nessecarily always agree with theirs and I think that's good for the company, makes me examine their points of view, and they examine my points of view.

-Layne
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• this a honest question sorry if it offends you. do you drink alcohol in the off season?
                            -IRON MAN ATHLETICS
                            -HARDCORE/PROFROMANCE WEAR
                            -COMING EARLY SEPT

Comment

• occasionally i'll have a beer or two. You know alcohol is actually quite good for you in small doses, it's just when you have 5 or more drinks you have precipitously bad effects
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by west View Post
                                I sure as hell wouldn't! I'm just musing really. I've often wondered about it and thought it would be an interesting thing to study.

One of the big pitfalls of diets for many people seems to be regaining weight afterwards. Coupled with that seems to be a scarcity of information on how to come off diets and maintain fat loss if you've been very low calorie (at least I've seen little written about it).
                                With my method you don`t have to worry about this EVER as I find an absolute energy value based on average behavior.

Comment

Working...
                                X