Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Brotherhood View Post
    lol at the Visor pecking

DAMN, Nick eats really little...that has got to be way under his maintenance, even without all the cardio...how does he manage to add muscle?
    I second this. I added up the macros and at most he's getting just over 2000 cals per day. Surely he's made some mistake in his amounts?

What's his strength like compared to yours Layne? I'm amazed he can even get through a workout on that caloric intake.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Brotherhood View Post
      lol at the Visor pecking

DAMN, Nick eats really little...that has got to be way under his maintenance, even without all the cardio...how does he manage to add muscle?
      he doesn't. He looks pretty much the same as he did at 19 years old. This is why i've been trying to convince him to allow himself to eat more but he just won't do it. Apparently he thinks I'm obese in the off season lol
      BioLayne LLC
      PhD, Nutritional Sciences
      Scivation Athlete
      MD Columnist
      Website

Comment

• Originally posted by west View Post
        I second this. I added up the macros and at most he's getting just over 2000 cals per day. Surely he's made some mistake in his amounts?

What's his strength like compared to yours Layne? I'm amazed he can even get through a workout on that caloric intake.
        I don't really know, even though the series says we are workout partners, we don't workout together all that often. I'm stronger than him but I also weigh more... comparatively I really don't know who's stronger lb for lb. Nick lifts hard but our styles would clash too much to be partners.
        BioLayne LLC
        Scivation Athlete
        MD Columnist
        Website

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
          he doesn't. He looks pretty much the same as he did at 19 years old. This is why i've been trying to convince him to allow himself to eat more but he just won't do it. Apparently he thinks I'm obese in the off season lol
          Damn, he was ready to win pro cards at 19? That's some inspirational stuff right there though...

Youll show him when you guys are up on stage next. When he sees you, what...15-20 lbs heavier at contest bodyfat, hes going to look like Mr. McWolf

AOOOOGA!

Comment

• Layne what are your thoughts on cheat meals and what would you normally have?

a "bulking" diet of 3,500 cals doesn't seem like much of a bulk unless your metabolis rate is slower than average

and Nick's 2,000 cals a day is crazy, lol
            MorphogenNutrition.com
            Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

• It's what allows me to gain at the appropriate rate. I'm not one of these people who goes crazy with 5000 kcals because I want to see the scale move.

Cheat meals are ok, so long as they don't turn into cheat days and one can have a cheat meal so long as they fit it into their macro goals for the day. that said I cheat very little in terms of pizza, sweets, and the like
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
                Layne what are your thoughts on cheat meals and what would you normally have?

a "bulking" diet of 3,500 cals doesn't seem like much of a bulk unless your metabolis rate is slower than average

and Nick's 2,000 cals a day is crazy, lol
                I've got really fat on 3500 cals (very clean too). Depends on your metabolism I think. In Dorian Yates' book 'Blood and Guts' he says that for the first years he grew plenty on 3500 (and that was presumably geared up too).

Comment

• I weigh between 198-202 lbs at approximately 8% right now and the 3500 calorie area is just about right for me (for bulking).

Comment

That's very telling. You can't progress if you don't eat at least a little over maintenance. It's a shame because he's got good shape. A little more size and he'd look even more impressive.

Can't wait to see how it turns out when you guys compete against each other again, Layne.

Comment

• Layne, what is the deal with the Smith Machine?? How can one tell exactly what the load is on one of these, and why is it so hard to determine it anyway?

Comment

geeze , nick eats like a little girl , my gf is 120 pounds and lean and she eats double of what he eats and she doesn't do cardio , nick seems obsessed with cardio , almost like he's afraid of putting on fat , sorta like an eating disorder but not quite , get my drift? , and your in good shape for the offseason , i think nick is looking at too many supplement ads thinking everyone looks like that all year round ( besides **** ******* )

Comment

• Originally posted by Pearce View Post
                          LAYNE,

WHAT ARE THE BEST WAYS TO REST FOR A NATURAL IN THE FOLLOWING CONTEXTS

A) SLEEP PATTERNS
                          B) DAYS OFF
                          C) ON DAYS OFF, CAN YOU DO CARDIO? HOW WILL IT AFFECT RECUPERATION?
                          D) SHOULD YOU TAKE 2 WEEKS OFF EVERY 3 MONTHS IN THE OFF-SEASON? (I HEARD DAN GASTELU SAY THIS ON AWESOME MUSCLES AND IT LEFT ME PUZZLED AS I RARELY TAKE ANY TIME OFF)

THEY SAY THERE ARE NO SUCH THINGS AS STUPID QUESTIONS.. SORRY IF THEY ARE SO BASIC, BUT SOMETIMES, YOU HAVE TO DOUBLE CHECK YOUR BASICS TO ENSURE YOU ARE DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT...

THANKS,
                          some of those questions there are really about 50 answers to. as for sleeping, just try to get enough so that you feel energized. some people can do that on 5 hours, some need 10.
                          as far as cardio on off days... nothing wrong with that. People seem to have this idea that if you step out of bed and do any activity whatsoever besides lifting you'll overtrain. that is nonsense

2 weeks off is more than enough time to incur disuse atrophy, especially in a trained athlete. you are better off taking 2 weeks to deload and using 50-60% of the normal weights you normally use to give your joints a break but even these small loads will be enough to maintain your muscle mass & strength
                          BioLayne LLC
                          Scivation Athlete
                          MD Columnist
                          Website

Comment

• Layne,

I know you probably have more than enough info for the NBR show coming up but I have another idea.
                            Since it is well known that you are on that "other site" I am sure you are familiar with Milos last 2 radio apperances. And since we are all about bodybuilding (no matter what company), I would like to hear you and Dave discuss his Shake idea a bit.
                            I know Dave already said he dosen't like the idea of a shake during the workout because then the stomach is going to pull blood for digestion. However Milos addressed that and said no big deal with his concoction because the ingredients are ready to be absorbed already. He did bring up several good points and has had very good success (according to him) so far.
                            Think you could squeeze that in a bit??

Comment

• pretty sure the topics are up to dave as they will be asking me various things. I'd make a post in the NBR section about it, but yea i'm more than willing to discuss it
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Layne I recently increased my pre and post workout carbs (vitargo) from 35g to 50g each (about a week ago). My last few workouts I have felt very sluggish. Normally I'm supercharged. Is it possible that the increase is the culprit? I currently weight 181lb.
                                Assistant to the regional manager.
                                Iron8 approved

Comment

Working...
                                X