Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Layne Norton

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layne, a question for a guy that has really brought up his quads.
    Is there anything specific that you have dome to work on your vastus medialis?
    Most of the things I have been doing have been doing a great job of building my abductors, upper and outer quads, but the tear drop is lacking.
    To give a idea of what my routine is like. I do legs 2 times a week (Mon and Fri. Saturday is cardio only and Sunday is a rest day).
    Mondays routine:
    1. free weight squats (just started doing these. I was doing Smith Machine squats)
    2. leg press. I put my feet just a bit wider that shoulder width and a little above the middle of the pad. Otherwise I really feel some weird stuff going on in my lower back on the negative.
    3. Seated hamstring curls
    4. lying hamstring curls. These are always tough after doing squats and seated .
    5. leg extension.
    Fridays routine
    1. Hack squat. Foot position pretty much the same as leg press. I always go to the stops on this one. Seems like that's what they're there for lol
    2. GHR's. Enough said
    3. SLDL's. I normally take the bar to about mid shin or so. Any deeper than that and I tend to start rolling my lower back.
    4. leg extension. This day I go a little lighter and increase the reps and negative movement.
    Thoughts, suggestions?
    Assistant to the regional manager.
    Iron8 approved

Comment

• Layne , what % of total calories do you feel should come from fat so you don't have a deficency/ over load in your diet?

Comment

• Hey dude. Looks like you're not short of questions but fuck it, here's another!

Is there a guideline for maximum number of whole eggs a day (just concerned about overdoing the cholesterol that's all)? Is 6 too many?

Checked out the latest on BB.com and it's another excellent piece. Pretty sweet having all the chicks admiring you on the beach, eh! You're the classic sand kicked in face skinny guy turned stud. It's awesome.

Really digging the series man, can't wait for the next one. Just something about having a specifically natural series that I really identify with. Excellent stuff not to mention very inspirational.

Comment

• Originally posted by CHM HARDCORE View Post
          Hey Layne I just ordered a bottle of Dialene 4, I getting ready for an oct 13 bodybuilding show. My Question is, should I take the Dialene 4 all the way up to the show or cut it out a few weeks out.
          you can take it all the way through. Thanks for trying it out; let me know how you like it!
          BioLayne LLC
          PhD, Nutritional Sciences
          Scivation Athlete
          MD Columnist
          Website

Comment

• Originally posted by Toddbz View Post
            Layne, a question for a guy that has really brought up his quads.
            Is there anything specific that you have dome to work on your vastus medialis?
            Most of the things I have been doing have been doing a great job of building my abductors, upper and outer quads, but the tear drop is lacking.
            To give a idea of what my routine is like. I do legs 2 times a week (Mon and Fri. Saturday is cardio only and Sunday is a rest day).
            Mondays routine:
            1. free weight squats (just started doing these. I was doing Smith Machine squats)
            2. leg press. I put my feet just a bit wider that shoulder width and a little above the middle of the pad. Otherwise I really feel some weird stuff going on in my lower back on the negative.
            3. Seated hamstring curls
            4. lying hamstring curls. These are always tough after doing squats and seated .
            5. leg extension.
            Fridays routine
            1. Hack squat. Foot position pretty much the same as leg press. I always go to the stops on this one. Seems like that's what they're there for lol
            2. GHR's. Enough said
            3. SLDL's. I normally take the bar to about mid shin or so. Any deeper than that and I tend to start rolling my lower back.
            4. leg extension. This day I go a little lighter and increase the reps and negative movement.
            Thoughts, suggestions?
            how deep do you go on your movements?
            BioLayne LLC
            Scivation Athlete
            MD Columnist
            Website

Comment

• Originally posted by fast-twitch View Post
              Layne , what % of total calories do you feel should come from fat so you don't have a deficency/ over load in your diet?
              I don't like %s because they don't hold up over many different calorie ranges.

for example. If you are doing 10% of your kcals from fat I'm sure everyone would say that is deficient. But if you are taking in 4000% kcal/day thats about 45g of fat which is certainly not deficient, especially because you have so many total calories to spare fatty acids. However, if you are on 1800 kcal/day that ends up being only 20g of fat which is less that optimal; especially at such low calories (unless you are a 100 lb figure girl, then you're probably ok) So I don't think there is a % you can put on it. It depends on weight, age, activity level, bodytype, caloric intake and other factors. I think for your average sized adult male bodybuilder with a mesomorphic bodytype who's in a caloric deficit, 45-60g of fat does the trick. When bulking you can actually go with the same amounts or less due to the increased kcals; however, that means you have to eat a ton of carbs as energy fillers and I like a balance so I suggest 55-75g of fat.

these are just general general guidelines, I hope they made sense.

-Layne
              BioLayne LLC
              Scivation Athlete
              MD Columnist
              Website

Comment

• WATCHING THE EPISODE 6.

great to see. i like how you articulate things. and you are honest and realistic in ur advice eg- especially about the bodyfat stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by str8flexed View Post
                  how deep do you go on your movements?
                  On leg press until my knees are almost to my chest.
                  Squats I do in a squat rack similar to the one in your gym. I go about 6 inches about the stops on that. I'm 6' so that's well below parallel for me.
                  Hacks are to the stops.
                  Leg extensions all the way up for a squeeze and down till the stack almost touches.
                  What do you think?
                  Iron8 approved

Comment

• honestly sounds like you are doing what you should be doing. you could try some heavy stretches like in DC training
                    BioLayne LLC
                    Scivation Athlete
                    MD Columnist
                    Website

Comment

• Yo man, Is there a guideline for maximum number of whole eggs a day (just concerned about overdoing the cholesterol that's all)? Is 6 too many?

Comment

honestly sounds like you are doing what you should be doing. you could try some heavy stretches like in DC training
                        Will do. I'm patient and the hard work keeps me honest. Can never have to much sweep right
                        Iron8 approved

Comment

• Hey layne,

Hey man, I already commented on how awesome of a person you are but i'm compelled to reiterate how I feel. Since starting bodybuilding i've been focused and determined but every passing day the yearning to build a better me burns stronger. I've already committed to doing a show next june of 2008, and what you mentioned on your 6th episode rang loud and clear to me. Every morning is like a rebirth of passion and vigor, to see just how hard I can push it, and to manifest a vision of what I see so clearly in my mind. The elapsed time during the day is filled with goal setting-time put into the gym-and drive to see how hard I can work it when I'm there. I use you as inspiration, along with skip-lacour and other bodybuilding greats (both natural and Non-natural). The passion you bring to this sport is very, very much a mutual reflection of what I aspire to be like. Your enthusiasm is like a conduit I use for myself to remind me that others out there are pushing just as hard, and have the same zeal for what they do. So in a long way of putting it...Thank you so much for indirectly inspiring me and others by your passionate work ethic, and love you bring to the sport man.

Comment

I don't like %s because they don't hold up over many different calorie ranges.

for example. If you are doing 10% of your kcals from fat I'm sure everyone would say that is deficient. But if you are taking in 4000% kcal/day thats about 45g of fat which is certainly not deficient, especially because you have so many total calories to spare fatty acids. However, if you are on 1800 kcal/day that ends up being only 20g of fat which is less that optimal; especially at such low calories (unless you are a 100 lb figure girl, then you're probably ok) So I don't think there is a % you can put on it. It depends on weight, age, activity level, bodytype, caloric intake and other factors. I think for your average sized adult male bodybuilder with a mesomorphic bodytype who's in a caloric deficit, 45-60g of fat does the trick. When bulking you can actually go with the same amounts or less due to the increased kcals; however, that means you have to eat a ton of carbs as energy fillers and I like a balance so I suggest 55-75g of fat.

these are just general general guidelines, I hope they made sense.

-Layne
                            i see what your saying , cause if your getting like 30% fat on a 4000 cal diet thats like 135 grams of fat , i would have to eat alot of oil to get that in my day. in other words from watching the vid and listening to no bull radio ,

with protein , when bulking 1 gram per pound , if your older 1.2 grams peround would do the trick , when cutting keep the protein a little higher than 1 gram per pound to make sure no catabolic issues occur/curve appatite.

fat - as stated above

carbs - just a filler to reach caloric intake.

rate now im a 220lb male , about 9-10% bf , say meso/ecto (put on mass easy but always stay lean) bulk i would stay around 3500-3700 cals ( 70-80 grams fat bulking) when bulkiing , cutting 2600-2800 ( fat around 50-60 grams )

would this look like a good start?

Comment

• Originally posted by fast-twitch View Post
                              i see what your saying , cause if your getting like 30% fat on a 4000 cal diet thats like 135 grams of fat , i would have to eat alot of oil to get that in my day. in other words from watching the vid and listening to no bull radio ,

with protein , when bulking 1 gram per pound , if your older 1.2 grams peround would do the trick , when cutting keep the protein a little higher than 1 gram per pound to make sure no catabolic issues occur/curve appatite.

fat - as stated above

carbs - just a filler to reach caloric intake.

rate now im a 220lb male , about 9-10% bf , say meso/ecto (put on mass easy but always stay lean) bulk i would stay around 3500-3700 cals ( 70-80 grams fat bulking) when bulkiing , cutting 2600-2800 ( fat around 50-60 grams )

would this look like a good start?
                              you nailed it bro
                              BioLayne LLC
                              Scivation Athlete
                              MD Columnist
                              Website

Comment

• Originally posted by AlteredBeast86 View Post
                                Hey layne,

Hey man, I already commented on how awesome of a person you are but i'm compelled to reiterate how I feel. Since starting bodybuilding i've been focused and determined but every passing day the yearning to build a better me burns stronger. I've already committed to doing a show next june of 2008, and what you mentioned on your 6th episode rang loud and clear to me. Every morning is like a rebirth of passion and vigor, to see just how hard I can push it, and to manifest a vision of what I see so clearly in my mind. The elapsed time during the day is filled with goal setting-time put into the gym-and drive to see how hard I can work it when I'm there. I use you as inspiration, along with skip-lacour and other bodybuilding greats (both natural and Non-natural). The passion you bring to this sport is very, very much a mutual reflection of what I aspire to be like. Your enthusiasm is like a conduit I use for myself to remind me that others out there are pushing just as hard, and have the same zeal for what they do. So in a long way of putting it...Thank you so much for indirectly inspiring me and others by your passionate work ethic, and love you bring to the sport man.
                                Hey bro I'm glad what I do has helped you in some way. Honestly I don't know if I deserve that much praise but I really really really really appreciate it. Wow what a great compliment. You have a great attitude and if you keep that up you are going to do GREAT at your show.

-Layne
                                BioLayne LLC
                                Scivation Athlete
                                MD Columnist
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X