Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Silk Amino Acids???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silk Amino Acids???

A friend just gave me a free canister of BLOX from BPI Sports because I work night shift full time, go to school full time during the day plus training 6 days a week, and it should help with recovery. Well I thought it was a BCAA product, but it turns out it was a SAA, which is interesting.

Well I went gave Google a shakedown, and like true internet fashion, every thing I read contradicted the other. So I thought I'd post here instead.

So what is your opinion on SAA's?

Should I even take them or just stick to BCAA's, or stack them?

Anybody used BLOX before, and thought it was good?

Any help is appreciated thank you.

Heres some info about it just incase no one knows what the hell they are... like me (from the BPi website):

What are SAAs and why are they about
    to redefine the way you train, the way you feel, and the way you look?

SAAs stand for SILK AMINO ACIDS (SAA), a chain of eighteen plus
    particular amino acids. Preliminary scientific data suggests that 5 of the 18
    SAAs, when used in a precise ratio and in an exact sequence ... the effects can
    be outstanding!*

How do SAAs
    compare to the most commonly used amino acid
    composition—BCAAs?

At best, classic 2:1:1 BCAAs are yesterday’s
    science being peddled as 'breakthrough'. It's indisputable that there is no
    perfect sequence or ratio that ultimately does not lead to an even more perfect
    one down the line. This is what science and research are all about and what we
    depend upon to improve not only how we feel but also how we look. After all, who
    among us would venture to walk into their doctor’s office today, sick as a dog,
    and say "Doc, please prescribe me what you would have given me 10 years ago."

Here's the bottom line: Silk amino acids may
    represent something different in the muscle-building category of sports
    nutrition.* We are about to alter everything you think you know about
    supplementation.

Im guessing its just another waste of time product but I could be wrong

Comment

Might help recovery a little but I wouldn't expect too much from them TBH.

Comment

Originally posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post
        Might help recovery a little but I wouldn't expect too much from them TBH.
        You took the words write out of my mouth. I didn't think this would do much. Well at least it was free.

Comment

I don't know exactly what this product is intended to do, but the fact is that a high protein diet does lead to amino acid catabolism (some aminos out compete others), leaving the body with an imbalance and stunted protein synthesis. This is one reason that periodic fasting is effective.. it allows for the "weaker" amino acids to catch up and remain in balance.

Personally I don't fast very often... 1-2 times a week is enough. Together with this I supplement with L-Threonine and Vitamin B6... Threonine is probably the #1 AA that suffers from catabolism on a high protein diet... and Vitamin B6 is just to improve Threonine uptake.
          Last edited by Jishuku; March 3, 2013, 08:53 AM.

Comment

SAAs are basically marketing hype. The driver behind EAA or BCAA supplementation is leucine....SAAs contain zero leucine. Further digging behind BPIs claims revealed the trials showing SAAs effectiveness was conducted comparing it to a placebo...any type of AA is going to show some efficacy when compared to taking nothing under the same conditions.
            " Sweat the details, it ALL matters"

Comment

Originally posted by rockhard View Post
              SAAs are basically marketing hype. The driver behind EAA or BCAA supplementation is leucine....SAAs contain zero leucine. Further digging behind BPIs claims revealed the trials showing SAAs effectiveness was conducted comparing it to a placebo...any type of AA is going to show some efficacy when compared to taking nothing under the same conditions.

Good to know. I also received a ton of these samples and was confused with the information that I found on-line about SAA's.

So I'm assuming "Chain" is also no good? http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ext-sports/chain.html

Comment

Any thought's about "Chains" SAA's??

Comment

Like said above, the main thing in BCAAs is Luecine, Luecine is popular because it is the major amino acid in skeletal muscle.. Thats why we see BCAAs at 8:1:1 and such because Luecine is numero uno. Whey, Beef, Milk, and Eggs all have very high luecine ratio that's why they are very popular muscle building proteins, while wheat and such have protein it has very little leucine thats why some don't even count proteins from wheat and such as proteins in their daily protein requirements because they aren't efficient... Silk Aminos have lower luecine than wheat... It is one of the worst sources of aminos for muscle building...

Comment

Try BLOX with Xtend from Scivation during your workout, works great!

Comment

Never bought into the Silk Aminos hype. Seems like marketing hype to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X